Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Do you really need the billboard and bowtie on the front? Also with "CHEVROLET", "COLORADO", and the V6 badge on the tailgate, it looks a little cluttered. Are the cutouts on the front bumper less pronounced now? That'd make sense considering the Bison apparently picked up 1MPG combined despite its weight gain. I guess there's some money to be made there aerodynamically.

I don't think the front end looks bad, and I like the stamped tailgate minus the badges. So, remove the bowtie and remove the badges and it should look a lot better IMO. And I like the color. I wonder if there are any functional upgrades.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Do you really need the billboard and bowtie on the front? Also with "CHEVROLET", "COLORADO", and the V6 badge on the tailgate, it looks a little cluttered. Are the cutouts on the front bumper less pronounced now? That'd make sense considering the Bison apparently picked up 1MPG combined despite its weight gain. I guess there's some money to be made there aerodynamically.

I don't think the front end looks bad, and I like the stamped tailgate minus the badges. So, remove the bowtie and remove the badges and it should look a lot better IMO. And I like the color. I wonder if there are any functional upgrades.

:nope:

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
GM-Infantry-Squad-Vehicle.jpg

Want the Hardest-Core Chevy Colorado ZR2? Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck
Take one Colorado midsize pickup, remove bodywork, add bad-assery

Alexander StoklosaWords
Oct 10, 2019
Think the new 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, the midsize pickup truck's hardcore off-road trim, is impressive? Its primary changes from before include less styling—seriously, Chevy just straight-up made most of the front end part of the grille or intake. Underneath, it still has the same lifted suspension, beefy tires, and 4x4 equipment to chase goats up rocky paths. But what if that '21 ZR2 isn't crazy enough? Perhaps you'd like it with even less bodywork and a stronger dose of visual intimidation? Time to join the Army!

That's because General Motors' Defense division (new as of 2017) has a new prototype for an Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) that is based on today's Colorado ZR2 chassis—and it's bound for military service, not your local Chevy dealer. So far, GM Defense has been awarded a $1 million contract by the U.S. military to develop the ISV and test two prototypes ahead of a planned order of 650 finalized models by 2020.
If a million bucks doesn't seem like not a lot of money for a defense contract, let alone a vehicle development cycle, you're right. But, then, there isn't much to the ISV beyond the Colorado ZR2's frame and suspension and that wacky metal exoskeleton. The vehicle lacks doors, a pickup bed, and even a proper roof. Up front, the ISV one-ups the 2021 Colorado ZR2's mostly grille-filled face with . . . basically no face at all. There is a hole where the radiator is, plus a substantial bumper and skid plate arrangement. Slits in what we assume is the hood house headlights.

GM is relying heavily on off-the-shelf parts for the ISV's mechanicals, too, in a further bid to keep development cost and effort in check. It claims that 70 percent of the ISV's components are standard, off-the-shelf bits from the Chevy Performance Parts catalog and elsewhere in the GM sphere. The Colorado ZR2's available 2.8-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesel engine provides power via a six-speed automatic transmission. Suspension and driveline components battle-tested in the Best in the Desert Racing series lurk, well, pretty much out in the open beneath the stripped-down ISV, as well.

What the ISV has more of than pretty much anything else are seats. The vehicle can hold nine soldiers plus their gear, all within the relatively handy footprint of a Colorado pickup. There are two seats up front, another three in the second row, two facing the rear behind that, and another two in a de-facto fourth row (behind the rear wheels) that face outward and straddle what appears to be a central cargo hold.

Other design requirements include the ability to fit inside a CH-47 Chinook helicopter while being "light enough to be sling-loaded from a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter." While that last bit sounds insane, it translates roughly to an ability to be airlifted via a cable or hook beneath a Blackhawk chopper (which is smaller than the cargo-friendly, two-rotor Chinook). It also needs to carry those nine soldiers on-road or off-road at speeds up to 60 mph; given how the production Colorado ZR2's top speed is 98 mph, that likely isn't an issue for the ISV. GM is confident its design will win over the military, stating that its "ISV entry is a fully-integrated platform that leverages decades of GM's engineering, manufacturing and quality expertise at scale to provide the most cost-efficient, reliable and effective answer possible to meet and exceed the Army's demanding requirements," per GM Defense President David Albritton. That's nice, but we'd really like to thrash the thing on our local sand dunes and off-road trails while rubbing it in the faces of regular ZR2 owners.

Cool but I guess... trying to figure out its purpose with modern doctrine and the vehicles already available to the military....

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Next time leave your purse at home when you go to purchase a pony car and drive off with the V8.

Yup. Here we go. Always the V8 nutswingers. I dumped it because the whole car was a turd not the engine. I planned on building the engine and putting big turbo on it but that won’t work when the car had non-stop problems with everything else. Rear axle bearings went bad, housing was leaking, ac stopped working, charging system problems that left me stranded multiple times, the entertainment system was always frozen, the trans went to shit it and was rebuilt once then replaced, TC replaced once, AC would randomly stop working... probably more that I’m forgetting. All before the car hit 20k miles. the 2nd time the trans died and it was at the dealer for over a month I had had it. That particular car was terribly built and I believe was not representative of the norm.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Yup. Here we go. Always the V8 nutswingers. I dumped it because the whole car was a turd not the engine. I planned on building the engine and putting big turbo on it but that won’t work when the car had non-stop problems with everything else. Rear axle bearings went bad, housing was leaking, ac stopped working, charging system problems that left me stranded multiple times, the entertainment system was always frozen, the trans went to shit it and was rebuilt once then replaced, TC replaced once, AC would randomly stop working... probably more that I’m forgetting. All before the car hit 20k miles. the 2nd time the trans died and it was at the dealer for over a month I had had it. That particular car was terribly built and I believe was not representative of the norm.

It was probably built on a Monday when everybody was still asleep at the plant

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Didn’t you mod the mustang eco boost ? But now u are having problems with the trans on the Chevy
It was probably built on a Monday when everybody was still asleep at the plant

exactly what I think. I ordered the car before it was released and it came in about a month before expected. It was rushed and built like shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info