đź“° Auto News Charging an Electric Vehicle In Public Can Cost Triple What Fueling Up A “Gas-Guzzler” Does

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Charging an electric vehicle in public can range in price from free to very expensive. When we recently charged a new 2022 Chevrolet Bolt at an EVgo DC fast charger (DCFC) in Bedford, NH, we discover the pricey end of the spectrum can be more than it would cost to fuel a "gas-guzzling" V8-powered muscle car.

evgo_10.15_receipt.jpg

$10.15 To Add 34 Miles of EV Range
We charged up a Chevy Bolt using the EVgo DC fast charger, and the bill was $10.15. That amount of money added 34 miles of range to the Bolt. So, the cost per mile of energy was 30 cents per mile. Let’s compare that to a 2021 Dodge performance car we tested the prior week.

hellcat_24_mpg.jpg

The Dodge had 797 hp, and it returned a combined fuel mileage of 24 MPG in our use on the same route we tested the Bolt. We paid $2.90 per gallon for the gasoline it uses. Doing some “goes in’tahs,” the cost per mile for energy in the muscle car turns out to be 12 cents. Thus, the cost per mile to energize the Bolt was roughly triple what the V8 gas-powered car cost us.

bolt_ev_go.jpg

Charging Etiquette
When charging in public one is supposed to quit charging when one’s EV reaches 80% state of charge. The reasons for this are two-fold. First, the rate at which charge can be added to an EV battery is more rapid below 80% and much more time-consuming as the battery reaches full. Second, EV chargers are in very short supply. We need to ration them.

On my route from the metro Boston area to the lakes region of New Hampshire, there are exactly zero public DC fast chargers. In order to charge at a DCFC, I took a slightly longer by time route to swing by one of only two DCFC charging spots in that area. Google “Henniker NH DC Fast Chargers” if you want to see what I mean about no chargers. I needed to top-off in order to complete the 200+-mile route I was making. So, I broke charger etiquette, and I charged to full.

I also charged at the DCFC because I wanted to test my EVgo membership RFID card and account and see how long the DCFC took to add back miles. Both were successful tests.

Charging For Free
Coincidental to my test, GM was running a free-to-charge promotion day during the week I had the Bolt. I think free anything is great, but I always wonder, what’s the hidden agenda? If charging up an EV is very affordable anyway, why does there need to be a promotion to make it “free?” If Dodge offered free gas to muscle car owners, I suppose folks would jump at the chance for a free fillup. But why make EV charging free?

how_often_dc_fast_charge_poll_bolt_owners_club.png

The answer is to get EV owners to the chargers and have them try out the experience. You see, when we poll owners of EVs, most report that they only charge at home, and almost none report using DC fast chargers.
When I plugged into the EVgo DC fast charger, I hadn’t thought about the cost. After all, we constantly hear how affordable EVs are to power up. I have done the math at my own home, and I know that the cost is typically about five to seven cents per mile of range I add back on my home charger using my relatively pricey Boston-area electricity. $10.15 for just 34 miles was a “shock.” Get it, shock. Bet you never heard that in an EV story before.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
These numbers they are coming up with are absurd. Here’s an example from a wedding I recently went to in Iowa. Using ridiculously expensive supercharging ( costs 3x home charging costs) I was able to add 208 miles of range (52kw) for $16.12. That’s a total of ~$0.07 a mile. If I were to charge at home (where most people charge), that same thing would cost me $0.02 a mile. So that’s just straight up bullshit. I don’t know what those people were doing but they were doing it very wrong.

3D35F114-8D14-490E-9119-DDDC217A51F6.jpeg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
There is no possible way that you could spend more on home electricity by switching to an EV if you subtract the gasoline that you used to buy. People are too fucking stupid to understand net costs though. Like oh no, my electricity went up $20… yea but you’re not buying $60 a month in gasoline so you’re actually saving $40

Reactions: Rent Free and Turk

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Regardless, a power plant of any type will make energy a lot more efficiently than the engine in your car. Hence the lower cost per mile.

http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/...sappears-between-a-power-plant-and-your-plug/

This is interesting, it appears overall that generation its self isn't any more efficient than a car really. Not only that but there's 6% transmission losses on top, which is actually much less than I could have really thought. Surprisingly efficient. There's also charging losses and losses in the powertrain however regenerative braking and the likes would be of substantial help.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
These numbers they are coming up with are absurd. Here’s an example from a wedding I recently went to in Iowa. Using ridiculously expensive supercharging ( costs 3x home charging costs) I was able to add 208 miles of range (52kw) for $16.12. That’s a total of ~$0.07 a mile. If I were to charge at home (where most people charge), that same thing would cost me $0.02 a mile. So that’s just straight up bullshit. I don’t know what those people were doing but they were doing it very wrong.

View attachment 104022
That’s about half of what I’d pay if I drove pure highway so not bad at all. You’re talking the most expensive way to “fill” yours and I’m speaking of the ideal way to get the best mpg out of mine.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea erroneous numbers that are not even close to real world. At home I pay .10 cents a kilowatt at home, on the road it depends on the state. On the expensive end I would say .33-.35 cents a kilowatt. On the low end where you pay by the time your sitting there maybe 5 bucks to charge my car 200 miles. (Like in Wisconsin)

I guess whatever gets clickbait’s these days though.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Though as society migrates over to EV, the cost of electricity will continue to rise and at some point the tax per mile will also be implemented.

No matter your engine / power plant of choice, the Govt and Corpos will get your money unless you give up the 4 wheels for a bicycle.

Comed is trying to decom all the nuke plants in IL. Tell me what that's gonna do to costs and availability.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Comed is trying to decom all the nuke plants in IL. Tell me what that's gonna do to costs and availability.

All Nuke plants? Braidwood, LaSalle and Clinton decoms have been announced?

Comed is in the power transmission and distribution business, not the nuclear generation.

Exelon, the parent company, owns the Nuclear Generation business. The plants are sold to a third party, who then decommissions it.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I've been seriously thinking about a Model3 if we move to the farm.
My commute will go to 80 miles a day vs 40 currently and while my daily is a TDI Passat that's cheap AF to run, hers is a V8 4Runner that's not cheap.
My debate is for her vehicle, we would keep mine as it's ideal for that application.

Let's do some math here and feel free to correct me if I'm missing tax breaks or other items but let's leave the assumptions alone.

Let's keep it simple and figure no additional maintenance. There will be, but my bet that over that 200k it'll be similar to the TDI in cost given durability of the TDI and costliness of Tesla service is when needed.

2 choices, buy Model3 or buy TDI VW. I'm leaving Prius/Volt out to fully prove a point.

A lightly used Model3 is let's go low and say $50k.
You spend $.02/mile charging it over it's say 200,000 mile lifetime. That's $4,000 to drive 200,000 miles.
So you've got $54k in 200,000 miles of transportation.

Or, we buy a lightly used TDI VW, say a TDI A3 Wagon for quality equity, for $20k(could get a Jetta for 70% of that cost).
You spend $.12/mile to fuel it over it's 200,000 mile lifetime. That's $15k($3.50/gallon) to drive 200,000 miles.
So you're $35k into 200,000 miles of transportation.

Yeah, we could argue TDI maintenance will be more than Tesla, $85 oil change every 10k(including DEF) - $1700, $700 timing belt 2x - $1400, $200 brakes 2x - $400. But, like I said, Tesla maintenance virtually always requires a dealer trip so IMO a couple visits would pretty easily offset the VW maintenance that can easily be done DIY if competent but I'm figuring shade tree costs here. Tires should be a fairly even comparison between both.

At 200k both will likely have low residual and be pretty well used up for what most of us would consider a daily driver car.
You're another $20-25k into the Tesla.
Is it worth $20k for the novelty and other benefits one brings to the experience?
If so, carry on. If not, VW TDI it is...until they're all used up thanks to the EPA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info