• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Car storage

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
If you happen to have gas from 1965 it would still probably fire off in a car since they used lead and no ethanol back then the gas lasted a lot longer, that 10% ethanol causes the gas to absorb water at a much faster rate, plus I have yet to test my theory but I’m betting they are using more than 10% even though they aren’t supposed to there’s a great road kill video that talks about the ethanol in the gas as they are forced to rebuild a carb that’s been sitting with 93 in it for maybe a year due to corrosion

Chicagoland area has had 10% ethanol since 1995, when reformulated gas started with the Clean Air act.

Thortons and Casey's sell E15, but everything else is 10%.

Unsealed gasoline with loose butane, which will lower octane and vapor pressure. The ethanol will absorb water and separate out to the bottom of the tank. Keep it sealed, and it will last a long time,

kyesburrell

*It's Totally Kyle*
Mar 25, 2018
NW Burbs
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I've read some guys will put the car up on jack stands to avoid flat spots on tires. I also wonder if spraying some fogging oil in the combustion chamber might be a good idea. Keeps the rings lubed up. This is more common with boats, but see no reason why it wouldn't help with cars.

Personally, I give it a bath, full tank, fresh oil change (it was due), hook up battery tender. That's it. And maybe start it from time to time.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
some say not to start it because it will promote moisture / condensation.

If it's nice out and the roads are clean, I will drive the car.
a couple years ago it was 70* in February, and I took the car out because the streets were free of salt.

This weather is not making it oil change friendly, i normally like to drive the car for at least 15 mins and then come home and spill / fill. but due to the early snow /salt.... :fu:

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
If for some reason I have to start my car, I will leave it idle for awhile so it gets hot. Before I shut it off, I'll rev the engine a couple times to blow out any pooled up water in the exhaust.

I do my best though to just leave it sit. The only time it gets started is if I have to move it outside to work on another car.

Chris01gtp

Regular
Mar 6, 2015
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I've read some guys will put the car up on jack stands to avoid flat spots on tires. I also wonder if spraying some fogging oil in the combustion chamber might be a good idea. Keeps the rings lubed up. This is more common with boats, but see no reason why it wouldn't help with cars.

Personally, I give it a bath, full tank, fresh oil change (it was due), hook up battery tender. That's it. And maybe start it from time to time.

Considered this but fear of having suspension just hanging. I'll try the +5 psi and see how it goes.

bacon28

Apr 3, 2016
Full tank of 93, battery tender, windows slightly rolled down, covered with a weatherproof cover (extends down and coveres the exhaust tips as well).

Added a an air freshener in there too.

It stays in the garage so im not super concerned about temps, moisture, critters, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info