TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
D6DKvmT.png

"boy golly fellas! have i got the hot tip for you!"

This pic is great, lmao.

I hear what you're saying, magazine racers that don't do anything with their vehicles, yet have strong opinions on everything, drive me nuts. Whether they're right or wrong, their views don't matter much to me. It's even worse when it comes to bikes...these guys are dead scared of the track yet think they're awesome because they speed on expressways, BFD. That's why I don't really hang out with the usual street riding crowd except for a few hooligans on here

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean...the Fusion still sells pretty well...outselling all other Ford cars...but one problem is, it's down 20% from last year, and Ford cars in general are down 12.5%. Whereas the Escape and Explorer are selling more units, and the Edge isn't far behind.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Too big to fail brah. This time Ford can take the bail out instead of GM. What's good for the goose something gander something.

:popcorn:

That was the implication :s00ls:

When the market changes, gas goes up (like KJ said) like it inevitably will, and Ford is caught with their pants down, as buyers flock to higher efficiency vehicles and move away from SUVs/trucks/CUVs.

The F150, I'm sure, will still be the volume seller, but I don't think they'd be able to ride it out of that situation...

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
i won't deny for a second that the car (1le) is capable, nor will i deny that it is faster. there are many reasons you might buy car a over car b, or choose one for an application over another. it's one that's been clearly been made already by many people with their own money in this price range. it's not the choice you would make - but the only place you track is magazine threads on TCG.

There it took you like a year to say that. That was my point.

You are making an argument about popularity.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
This pic is great, lmao.

I hear what you're saying, magazine racers that don't do anything with their vehicles, yet have strong opinions on everything, drive me nuts. Whether they're right or wrong, their views don't matter much to me. It's even worse when it comes to bikes...these guys are dead scared of the track yet think they're awesome because they speed on expressways, BFD. That's why I don't really hang out with the usual street riding crowd except for a few hooligans on here

The funny thing is I've driven on all of the tracks that he attends events at and posts on TCG. I'll go as far and say I've driven more laps at Gingerman than him.

He just makes assumptions and goes off on tangents and rants.

If I wanted to take my car next week to Autobahn I could pay the guest fee and go. I just have different priorities and my time is taken up by other stuff. Frankly, I haven't had my Mustang out much either this summer.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
There it took you like a year to say that. That was my point.

You are making an argument about popularity.

and you are missing my point that people spending their money tracking their cars, not reading magazines, are the best at assessing the landscape and choosing what works best for their hobby.

your silly position leaves you at this point of incredible confusion and nonsense where you scratch your head at why the cobalt ss wasn't a big track day car, and why today the v6 mustang or turbo camaro isn't a big track day car.

The funny thing is I've driven on all of the tracks that he attends events at and posts on TCG. I'll go as far and say I've driven more laps at Gingerman than him.

He just makes assumptions and goes off on tangents and rants.

If I wanted to take my car next week to Autobahn I could pay the guest fee and go. I just have different priorities and my time is taken up by other stuff. Frankly, I haven't had my Mustang out much either this summer.

great, you own your own helmet and went to gingerman 4 times in 2011. no one cares. you still have a view your adamantly support at odds with what people around you in the world are actually doing. why doesn't everyone recognize what you do and pick the v6 mustang or turbo camaro? everyone but you must just be so confused!

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
and you are missing my point that people spending their money tracking their cars, not reading magazines, are the best at assessing the landscape and choosing what works best for their hobby.

your silly position leaves you at this point of incredible confusion and nonsense where you scratch your head at why the cobalt ss wasn't a big track day car, and why today the v6 mustang or turbo camaro isn't a big track day car.

Cost also comes into play here. The BRZ is cheap. The MSRP of a 1LE Turbo is considerably higher than a BRZ. If your objective is driving fast, the Camaro seems to be the better platform based on the data. I believe you that there’s a lot of BRZ’s that show up. Its probably a close group that share a common hobby.

The Cobalt SS probably wasn’t purchased as a track vehicle due to being front wheel drive.

great, you own your own helmet and went to gingerman 4 times in 2011. no one cares. you still have a view your adamantly support at odds with what people around you in the world are actually doing. why doesn't everyone recognize what you do and pick the v6 mustang or turbo camaro? everyone but you must just be so confused!

Again, you are assuming. I was at Autobahn in late April karting and will be there next month as I been itching for a ride in my friend’s Radical.

I got it, you’re the absolute authority and no one’s opinion counts. I am not an expert at Golf and have played 9 holes and a scramble this year, but I could grab my bag from home and beat 70% of the regular golfers that are actually doing. My point is just because I or someone hasn’t done it in a while doesn’t mean that you should automatically throw out an opinion or experience.

What’s funny is one of my sales reps just walked by my office. He’s a euro car guy so we talk cars. His son in law owns a race shop at Autobahn and is there quite frequently. I asked him what are the most common cars he sees there. He said there’s a ton of Radicals, Porsches, and Spec Miatas.

So in closing, if you want a fast track car by the numbers buy a 1LE and if you want to fit in with the cool crowd buy a BRZ.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Cost also comes into play here. The BRZ is cheap. The MSRP of a 1LE Turbo is considerably higher than a BRZ.

of course cost is a factor, which in the past you (or maybe someone else) was arguing that the supposed v6 mustang would be tracky bois became tracking v8 mustangs instead, as if cost was a non-factor in that attempted rationalizing for the lack of v6 mustangs.

the camaro starts at 25,905 and 1le is 32,590 per article (i don't see the trim on chevy.com), the brz is 25,595 for the entry level and 30,500 for a package with brembos. 34,355 for the article in tested trim so even pricier than the camaro. i bet you'll find more even at this trim level at the tracks than 1le. (edit: tested camaro trim at 40,890, which really makes it seem unjustified as a peer or worth the price, not suprisingly the article even recommends buying the next one up)

If your objective is driving fast, the Camaro seems to be the better platform based on the data. I believe you that there’s a lot of BRZ’s that show up. Its probably a close group that share a common hobby.

The Cobalt SS probably wasn’t purchased as a track vehicle due to being front wheel drive.

the cobalt ss wasn't purchased as a track vehicle and you don't think of it as one because it being a few seconds faster in a magazine doesn't factor nearly as much as you (99-100%) seem to imply. a wrx is 27,295 and an sti at 36,595 not far off that top brz trim. i, and everybody else you actually see tracking could have bought v6 mustangs and few (arguably none) of people actually tracking did that. my objective is to drive fast, but my objective above all others is to have fun. i'll again note the way this article ended the piece on the brz:

The BRZ might not be the fastest car here, but it is one of the most fun and rewarding to drive at the limit.

do you really think i'm going to buy another car because in a magazine it's a few seconds faster around a track but it's not as fun? you have already stated you don't understand why we didn't all just buy v6 mustangs in the prior thread. do you think that maybe it's possible that the brz is 2800 lbs of handling fun and a lot more rewarding to drive than a 3500 lb pig that happens to have enough hp to push it across a finish line a couple seconds more quickly? maaaaaaaaybe? could we have possibly solved this incredible mystery??

Again, you are assuming. I was at Autobahn in late April karting and will be there next month as I been itching for a ride in my friend’s Radical.

I got it, you’re the absolute authority and no one’s opinion counts. I am not an expert at Golf and have played 9 holes and a scramble this year, but I could grab my bag from home and beat 70% of the regular golfers that are actually doing. My point is just because I or someone hasn’t done it in a while doesn’t mean that you should automatically throw out an opinion or experience.

you seem perfectly happy not only throwing out my opinion but ignoring away this mystery of many 86s and 0 v6 mustangs. it seems given that you should possibly entertain the fact no one cares about using a v6 mustang as a track car. just like that cobalt ss.

What’s funny is one of my sales reps just walked by my office. He’s a euro car guy so we talk cars. His son in law owns a race shop at Autobahn and is there quite frequently. I asked him what are the most common cars he sees there. He said there’s a ton of Radicals, Porsches, and Spec Miatas.

well since you are so familiar with autobahn, then you should be able to separate out the hpde track day attendees i am talking about vs. the country club members and the formal race classes they actually have there (miatas and radicals...) right?

So in closing, if you want a fast track car by the numbers buy a 1LE and if you want to fit in with the cool crowd buy a BRZ.

not exactly. more like if you want to buy a car to stance out like a dbag, or go drag, or go drift, or go autocross, or go track, in this price range the BRZ makes a fine choice (not so hot on drag).

you could buy a 1LE too and i wouldn't knock you for it - but your 1LE friends are going to be doing a mix between nothing or going to drag strips. probably mostly nothing. you'll be welcome at the track by all, but you'll probably be there with 0 1LE friends and be parking next to 5 BRZs. i'll probably be having more fun, and i'll be chasing you hard enough that you're going to need to forget about the magazine and see what your own ass can actually do with a car.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
do you really think i'm going to buy another car because in a magazine it's a few seconds faster around a track but it's not as fun? you have already stated you don't understand why we didn't all just buy v6 mustangs in the prior thread. do you think that maybe it's possible that the brz is 2800 lbs of handling fun and a lot more rewarding to drive than a 3500 lb pig that happens to have enough hp to push it across a finish line a couple seconds more quickly? maaaaaaaaybe? could we have possibly solved this incredible mystery??

Just to point out, bolt on 15 + Coyote GT (pig) 6 speed manual w/ an upgraded track handling pack suspension and 285s front / 325s rear on light weight wheels is blast to drive.

Granted a 11 - 14 GT is fun too.

Carry on.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
and make a four door rwd something powered similarly. k thanks bye.

Should just kept building the FPV Falcon same for GM and the SS.

They should have killed the FWD Impala platform and called a base non-V8 the Impala, and the V8 version the Impala SS.

But you know what, big V8 sedans, they don't sell at all, I NEVER see a Charger with a V8 on the road......:drums:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info