Car & Driver Lightning Lap 2018 Results

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Also-Not to rub salt into an old wound, but this kind of proves a long ago debate here on TCG about the BRZ vs Camaro (non-v8) and which is a better track car.

the article itself even notes the brz is a fun time to drive -
The BRZ might not be the fastest car here, but it is one of the most fun and rewarding to drive at the limit.

at the subaru speed expo we had 18 86s
gps south the next day had 8 (2 overlap)
laps monday had 3 (1 from either prior event) - the least i usually see at a track day

there are more 86s tracking than wrx and sti put together, despite both massively outselling 86s by a serious amount.

9 out of 10 TCG'ers in this "debate" visit a track 0-1 times a year.
i've literally never seen a non-zero amount of turbo 4 camaro/mustangs or v6 mustangs

for fun we have a classed time attack series where we can win free tires now as well. where's the v6 mustang turbo camaro one?

41372516_2331082846908186_2306698442145005568_o.jpg

there never was a debate. there's just people on TCG who have an opinion of something they know nothing about. the market of people doing something other than blabbing on an internet forum has spoken.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Although I'm sure they're fun to drive, I can't see myself purchasing a non v8 mustang or camaro knowing I'm going to want to track it often. I used to track my last two cars and once the wrx is 100% hopefully I can find a weekend to take her out again. Driven a BRZ and would love to own one but it'd just be a weekend car if I had it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
that mustang is scooting, sounds like they should have spent a few more bucks on it though too.

The 2016 non-track pack GT350 had the same issues. Without the coolers for the trans and rear end, they would overheat and put the car in limp mode.

Bean counters trying to save money most likely. Shame if that is going to hold these cars back. They offer aftermarket diff cooler kits but just adds more cost to the car. That is a shame.
I went and built a GT PP2 mustang on ford.com and I don't see an option for any additional trans or diff coolers, meaning that everything Ferd has available for that car still wasn't enough to keep it from going in to limp mode while testing at VIR.

That sucks

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
yup. Bean counters fucking customers again.

But then again, I am sure the few people who track these cars don't leave them stock. So putting some money into a car to make it better on track isn't uncommon. It is definitely odd that a car they want to be a good track car doesn't have the equipment to be a good track car. Going into limp mode all the times isn't gonna make for an enjoyable day at the track.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I agree.

But bean counters. lol

I am sure the number of people who track these cars is a small percentage. So why have the additional cost for all cars when only a small few require it? And the cost to add the coolers as an option, or part of a package, would probably be expensive due to the cost associated with small production numbers. It's a catch 22. But I agree, it really shouldn't be something people experience when on track.

I think it was a disaster when it happened with the GT350. Hopefully, some bad press about it will lead them to adding them to the cars or as part of a package.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
yup. Bean counters fucking customers again.

But then again, I am sure the few people who track these cars don't leave them stock. So putting some money into a car to make it better on track isn't uncommon. It is definitely odd that a car they want to be a good track car doesn't have the equipment to be a good track car. Going into limp mode all the times isn't gonna make for an enjoyable day at the track.

If you were buying a Mustang GT, that you were going to seriously track, would you even get the performance packs? Seems like you'd change out most of the performance pack options anyways, for more adjustable stuff.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If you were buying a Mustang GT, that you were going to seriously track, would you even get the performance packs? Seems like you'd change out most of the performance pack options anyways, for more adjustable stuff.

Not me, i learned with the bike how great it is to have something track-ready out of the box. Almost nobody that buys even a regular mustang GT can drive it to the limits...aftermarket parts aren't the answer. but if you are capable of pushing the vehicle, and as a result it goes in to limp mode, that sucks.

If i spent $45k ($50k sticker) on a mustang GT with the most expensive PP option and it went to limp mode 10 minutes in to the session, i'd rage

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Like I said, most people probably don't leave their cars stock and track them. But then what is the point of comparing all these stock cars? lol

I like modding and dialing my cars in. Others probably like things stock to save money. So buying a car and leaving it stock shouldn't mean owning a car that goes into limp mode that you can't really use on track either. It really is an issue that should not be an issue. The Camaro doesn't have these issues.

I like that Motor Trend article saying they expected the PP2 to be a less expensive GT350. But instead just got a better GT. It sounds like a good car that just isn't as good as people want it to be. But it is a car that is also not as good as it's main competitor, the SS 1LE. I mean the Mustang has always trailed the Camaro in the handling and braking department. They are doing great with the GT PP2. But unfortunately, it still ends up trailing the Camaro's performance.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I like that Motor Trend article saying they expected the PP2 to be a less expensive GT350. But instead just got a better GT. It sounds like a good car that just isn't as good as people want it to be. But it is a car that is also not as good as it's main competitor, the SS 1LE. I mean the Mustang has always trailed the Camaro in the handling and braking department. They are doing great with the GT PP2. But unfortunately, it still ends up trailing the Camaro's performance.

With the Mustang's weight disadvantage, it's always going to trail...it seems like they've done an admirable job so far, but that weight in this chassis is a killer. But then again, it's also causing them to win the sales battle, because it isn't a pill box that you have to squeeze yourself into.

Camaro definitely has the performance bragging rights, but the Mustang is wiping the floor with usability, which is the point of these cars (in theory.)

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I agree. The Mustang has come a long way and is actually a world class handling car. Not be best out there, but the gap is way closer than what it had been in the past.

If you just look at the performance, the SS 1le is hard to deny. But in just about everything else, I think the Mustang does better. Imagine if the Mustang was the better performer and had all those other advantages?

What Ford engineers have done with the chassis, suspension, and coyote engine has been impressive. But the chassis, especially the weight savings that never materialized, and the suspension are just lacking compared to the Camaro. Weight is huge obviously. But even things like the subframe bushings are better designed in the Camaro. There are probably a lot of small things like that that add up in the Camaros favor.

But I hope they all keep battling it out. It is nice to have good options in all price points. Including SUV that can do well enough on a road course. Which is amazing to me. lol

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
the article itself even notes the brz is a fun time to drive -
The BRZ might not be the fastest car here, but it is one of the most fun and rewarding to drive at the limit.

at the subaru speed expo we had 18 86s
gps south the next day had 8 (2 overlap)
laps monday had 3 (1 from either prior event) - the least i usually see at a track day

there are more 86s tracking than wrx and sti put together, despite both massively outselling 86s by a serious amount.

9 out of 10 TCG'ers in this "debate" visit a track 0-1 times a year.
i've literally never seen a non-zero amount of turbo 4 camaro/mustangs or v6 mustangs

for fun we have a classed time attack series where we can win free tires now as well. where's the v6 mustang turbo camaro one?

41372516_2331082846908186_2306698442145005568_o.jpg

there never was a debate. there's just people on TCG who have an opinion of something they know nothing about. the market of people doing something other than blabbing on an internet forum has spoken.

The data shows that there’s a 10-15 second gap between the BRZ and Turbo 1LE; an eternity on the track. Maybe the Camaro’s are so far ahead that the BRZ guys can’t see them on the track?

What you are pointing out above is a classic case of an internet sweeping generalization. Since you haven’t seen them on the 2-3 tracks events that you attend (and probably import focused), therefore no one takes them to the track. GM obviously didn’t develop the Turbo 1LE because they didn’t see a buyer. The buyer of 1LE’s are checking that box because they are people that enjoy pushing the car in the twisties.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
whadddupppp 4 cylinder 'maro

I was disappointed in the Camaro's time originally not knowing it was a little 2.0 liter. I am impressed once again. :nice:

I was just thinking about this shit- I forgot that chevy is opposite of ford with their v6/turbo 4 cars...

chevy land the v6 > turbo 4...

ferrrd... the turbo 4 > v6...

v6 camaro 1le would be no joke! :rofl:

fucking nuts how far cars have come.

v6 2018 camaro 1le would shit all over a 2010's camaro ss and mustang gt on a road course

:rofl:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The data shows that there’s a 10-15 second gap between the BRZ and Turbo 1LE; an eternity on the track. Maybe the Camaro’s are so far ahead that the BRZ guys can’t see them on the track?

as stated, VIR has long straights where the cars can get up to higher speeds (like say road america around here) - the camaro would certainly be ahead of it elsewhere, although not as large a gap.

What you are pointing out above is a classic case of an internet sweeping generalization.

no, i'm actually pointing out the reality of what people who buy and track cars actually do. iirc the cobalt ss at one time had better lap times than the sti or evo in a previous similar test - yet it's doubtful you were even aware of this or even being aware of it would claim oh yeah - the cobalt ss is a great track car, the better one to buy and track of this set.

on the same day as the gps south event there was a big mustang event - but it was just a large car show. some guys did parade/tour laps on the north track.

the midwest f-body association used to do 1 event a year, up in road america. the last one they did might be a decade ago now.

i'm not sure which audi might be faster than which bmw these days, on some magazine laps - but again, it doesn't actually matter. iirc the audi tt may be faster than an m2.

the audi chicago chapter itself runs 0 kart/autox/track days.
the windy city bmw chicago chapter this year runs 4 kart days, 10 autocrosses, and 4 track days.

the registration for the last laps event is here:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.../uidEvent/FAB86CA8-ACC4-3B92-5430CAECF0180FF7

it contains 1 audi (s3) and 21 BMWs (3 of which are M2s). scroll down the rest of this list - is this an "import focused" event?? if it is, it's focused on germans... and where are those TTs?

Since you haven’t seen them on the 2-3 tracks events that you attend (and probably import focused), therefore no one takes them to the track.

well, how many have you seen at the 0 track events that you attend? i have gone to track days in the UAE, south africa, and the philippines as well. the midwest 86 cup group above is our first year - california has 2 regional classes. the one i just glanced it has 12-30 attendees per event. are you going to claim there is some v6/turbo mustang/camaro community anywhere in the world rivaling this?

you are right, i'm going off of what my eyes have seen - which is a whole lot more than you have seen with your eyes closed sitting on the couch. there are at least 2 universal truths:

1. you're going to find the bmw club is among the most active, if not the most active, manufacturer club virtually anywhere you are across the US
2. you're going to find more 86s than v6 mustangs or turbo camaros or hyundai genises etc etc etc anywhere you go

GM obviously didn’t develop the Turbo 1LE because they didn’t see a buyer. The buyer of 1LE’s are checking that box because they are people that enjoy pushing the car in the twisties.

not really. they are buying it because they can't afford the next engine option. maybe a few did read in a magazine that it can pull a 3:05.6 - but all they can do with that information is argue on a message board that a 3:05.6 is faster than a 3:06.6, meanwhile if they were driving a ferrari they couldn't get around faster than a 3:36 - but they aren't going to go to the track and drive either anyway. enjoy pushing the car in the twisties? not any more than the people who change a brake pad compound or put on bigger brakes and claim to have more "stopping power" on the way to the mall, or put on some north korean $600 suspension and talk about how their car now "corners on rails". we know only a smidge of drivers track their car, 5% doing at least 1 event is probably generous for the 86. but a v6 mustang or turbo camaro you'd be at least as generous rounding it up to 1% (ignoring drag strips.)

i won't deny for a second that the car (1le) is capable, nor will i deny that it is faster. there are many reasons you might buy car a over car b, or choose one for an application over another. it's one that's been clearly been made already by many people with their own money in this price range. it's not the choice you would make - but the only place you track is magazine threads on TCG.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I was just thinking about this shit- I forgot that chevy is opposite of ford with their v6/turbo 4 cars...

chevy land the v6 > turbo 4...

ferrrd... the turbo 4 > v6...

v6 camaro 1le would be no joke! :rofl:

fucking nuts how far cars have come.

v6 2018 camaro 1le would shit all over a 2010's camaro ss and mustang gt on a road course

:rofl:

I was thinking the Camaro 4 banger turbo had a weight advantage over the Mustang, but according to C&D the Camaro with a manual is at 3510 and the Mustang with a manual is at 3556.

If Ford offered a PP2 style on the EcoBoost, that would be pretty cool. Seems like the standard PP on the EcoBoost just isn't anything special, especially in comparison to the Camaro's 4 banger 1LE package

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info