Car audio guys, NEED YOUR HELP!

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Car is a 2007 Audi S4 with Bose system. We all know that audis can have some electrical problems, I was crossing my fingers hoping that I'd never cross one, but my luck has officially run out. The other day, I drove to the gym, listened to the radio just fine. After the gym, I get in the car and turn on the stereo and nothing. The car has navigation, which the radio/stereo is hooked up to. There are no codes, the nav screen says its playing the radio, cds etc, I can switch cds just fine, just no sound out of the speakers. The past couple times I've gotten in the car, as soon as I put the key in the ignition there is a pop that comes from the speakers. Today, I swear I actually heard the radio for a tenth of a second, then pop then nothing. Any ideas wtf could be going on?

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
No codes on the dash board. I haven't taken the car anywhere yet.

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Do faulty connections on an audio system throw codes?

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is there an amp powering the speakers? Sounds like thats the problem

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Yes, there is an amp in the trunk. This is a stock system.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Id check the amp/connections, there should be power lights at least. Usually stock setups the amp is powering the speakers not the headunit

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is there an amp powering the speakers?
I guarantee there is an external amplifier in the car somewhere. With that said, he is hearing noise from the speakers when he puts the key in the ignition. To me, it sounds like there is no output happening from the radio to the amplifier. Whatever the car is doing at the time he puts the key in is causing some sort of signal to go to the amplifier, whether it's activating a chime or some other signal/voltage change/whatever.

Maybe some software issue that tweaked out the radio.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
If this is anything like my A8 it's a fiber optic system. I have a Dension interface box in the A8 for my iPod and on hot summer days the fiber optic lines contract just enough to break the fiber optic ring. When this happens I get a little popping in the speakers and no sound from the system.

I'm not sure if the S4 is running a MOST setup but if it is that's the first thing I'd check.

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
I'm thinking its some sort of bad connection somewhere, something loose. I will dig into it saturday, I'm praying I don't have to replace the overpriced amp..

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good to know mike. I was completely unaware of the fiber optic stuff, but that sounds like a likely culprit after hearing that

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Mike, did you ever fix the problem?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
I highly doubt it would be a bad fuse, but just check them first to make sure. My vote goes to a bad connection before the amp.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Mike, did you ever fix the problem?
I did. I didn't clamp one of the fittings all the way. I just did a quick google search and don't see anything for the A4/ S4 having a MOST setup though. I think you're old fashioned wires on that car.

TwistedSoundCo

Reaction score
Hey, Turk where are you located? I own a company doing audio stuff. I'm super busy tmrw, but Tuesday I'm open alot until Saturday. If you want to swing by new lenox I can take a look at it for you. Give me ur email or email me at [email protected] and if you cant swing by ill help ya out on hear..I'm just packed tmrw and need to get to bed now lol

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
My brothers last 2 Caddys had a problem like this. The first one he would turn the car off and back on and it would work. The second one he just has to push the off button ans turn it back on and its just fine. Idk if you've had the problem over and over again.

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Hey, Turk where are you located? I own a company doing audio stuff. I'm super busy tmrw, but Tuesday I'm open alot until Saturday. If you want to swing by new lenox I can take a look at it for you. Give me ur email or email me at [email protected] and if you cant swing by ill help ya out on hear..I'm just packed tmrw and need to get to bed now lol
Cool man, thanks for the offer. My one buddy is going to look at it this Tuesday. If we're stumped, I'll hit you up.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
Reaction score
Probably amplified, if it's popping, see if it's a specific speaker popping, or if its all of them. If its a specific speaker popping, probably a problem with that speaker and the amplifier is shutting down to prevent damage. If you can't localize it, there's a chance the amplifier is going out, or there is a loose connection somewhere, but if it hasn't been tampered with, that would be kind of rare to see. Check all the fuses too, if one is blown, something on the lines of an amplifier fuse, amp is probably toast.

Audio systems usually do not throw codes, rarely linked in with the rest of the car's diagnostics.

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
No one lives down by us. Its you, me, the guy with the CTS-V from CSVT, and and I think Aircal lives on the southside? Palos maybe? Someone here lives in Palos... Otherwise almost everyone else lives northwest...

Turk, do you have a VAGCOM? Is VAGCOM still the main diag. tool used by Audi/VW? If it is it is probably a worthwhile purchase... its just some diag software and a cable for your laptop. Used to change a lot of settings in the ECU and diag a lot of codes. I know you can do some (very) minor tuning stuff with it too...

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Figured out something today. When the radio is on, I can unplug the amp and plug it back in the music works for 10 seconds, pop then shut off.

OP
Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
And now it's staying on. Crossing my fingers...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom