Cam Timing Advance/Retard

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So my take from this is get an l67 cam gear for my l36? Keep up the good work of figuring out all the hard stuff tho I always look forward to seeing a new thread from you lol
That's an accomplishment right there lol!
Yeah it looks like the L67 cam gear should give a bit more on the top end over the L36.

I'm still going to check on my timing configuration to make sure everything looks good, I'm surprised how bad this turned out so I'm going back and forth about trying again.

The HX35 spools amazing on the 3800, I can get boost cruising in overdrive if I let it lug and it will usually be at full boost just after 3000 rpm. Would be really good for a daily driver looking to surpass what an M90 can do.
I think the exhaust housing might be a bit restrictive though for a 3800 because of how quickly it lost power on the high end. If that's the case this cam timing trick still has potential. If not well then at least I've got a bigger turbo now :LOL:

Looks like your turbo is a bit larger, especially on the exducer of the turbine wheel (looks like exducer and inducer are swapped?). It's also a T4 housing compared to the T3 of the HX35. My guess is the exhaust housing might flow more but those exducer/inducer numbers look pretty wild on it. Compressor should be pretty close to the 500 hp ballpark based on its size, but I can't find a compressor map for that thing anywhere.
Hard to find details about diesel turbos anywhere. 500chp should take about 20 psi /2.33 bar on a stock 3800 if it's all working well. 500 wheel would probably be close to 30 psi/3 bar on the stock cam at least in theory

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info