Cam Timing Advance/Retard

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So one of the things I recently discovered is that the L36 and L67 have different cam timings. Doing some googling I found that most people will say the L67 has about 2 degrees advance over the L36.

I had to do some research to figure out what the benefits of that are, but if that were true then the L67 would have had a peak power about 100 rpm sooner than the L36. Not a big deal but I wanted to see it for myself.
I found from cross-referencing parts on rockauto that the difference in timing comes from the cam sprocket since the crank sprocket is the same part number between the two.

Checking my own sets of timing chains from my motors in my garage I found though that the L67 having 2 degrees of advance is pretty incorrect.

Here is the L67 sprocket laid on top of the L36 sprocket with the keyways lined up.

VA2bxWD.jpg

You can see that the cam sensor is a bit further counter-clockwise on the L67 cam proving that the L67 cam is actually retarded compared to the L36.
Here are the timing marks between the two.

hwbF1dZ.jpg

So the L67 cam is half a tooth retarded, and on a 48 tooth gear this would roughly 4 degrees of difference there. So the L67 should in theory have about a 200 rpm later power peak according to what would be expected from retarding the cam.
Based on what I've been able to find online and on an episode of engine masters, it seems like retarded cam timing will even make more power across most of the rpm range as well, but I doubt anyone has tested this too much on a 3800.

Not a big deal if you're already running a rollmaster since you can adjust the cam timing, but I still thought this was pretty cool information.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Yeah I'll need to do some digging but I'm thinking of running the L36 sprocket but with a tooth behind where it should be. Should take out 7-8 degrees of cam advance and shift the power band up a couple hundred rpms.
It would probably test the limits of what the heads can flow though without rockers though. I'd love to be able to break the stock cam turbo record - I think I've gotta be pretty close

I'll still need to do some more research though to see if it's worth it though

Reactions: v6buicks

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
The L36 cam is 2 degrees advanced so it doesn't feel like a turd at lower RPM's. You want to be reterded for a FI application. If you were doing a turbo build an addition 2 degrees retarded with a proper stall would be a nice quick spool set-up that wouldn't fall on it's face on the top end. I'd check valve to pistion clearance though if you were doing a bigger cam.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Went and got a picture of both on the same camshaft just to get a better idea of how much they are. 2* didn't seem like enough based on those first pictures I showed.

Looks like it's almost exactly half a tooth ahead.

With 48 teeth this would be 3.75* advanced compared to the l67
20200413_133545.jpeg
20200413_133536.jpeg

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I was thinking that had to be part if the reason why as well. Definitely going to try retarding it now to see how she does!
The L36 cam is 2 degrees advanced so it doesn't feel like a turd at lower RPM's. You want to be reterded for a FI application. If you were doing a turbo build an addition 2 degrees retarded with a proper stall would be a nice quick spool set-up that wouldn't fall on it's face on the top end. I'd check valve to pistion clearance though if you were doing a bigger cam.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Welp, thought I'd update this thread and report on my very disappointing results.
L36 timing set a full tooth retarded for whatever reason failed pretty hard on my setup.

Engine fell on its face after 4200 rpm in the first few pulls where it should be peaking at 5200rpm with stock timing, I had hoped for a power peak around 5,500 rpm instead.
JShK8a8.png

Boost is all in at 4200 rpm ish to 16-15 psi in all of the runs, I tried to turn it up for the 2nd run but was running into issues with the controller.
In the third run I bumped timing up by 3* across the board and that gained a little bit up to 4,500 rpm, but still nowhere near where I expected power to peak at. I was limited on dyno time so not much else I had time to try.

run 1 log data:
xEoTMfa.png

7HUT4bS.png

run 2 log data:
mubQoZp.png
jDrTNT7.png

run 3 log data:
GKn1ndU.png
TtYE93z.png

It's possible the tight bend I have after the turbo is causing some sort of restriction, but I'm a bit doubtful that there's something else physical preventing it from making peak power up there.

Do you think I've given this a fair shake? or do you think I have something way out of whack preventing this from making power up top?

I was having some clutch problems, but didn't notice any slippage on the dyno. I've also ran the turbo up to 20 psi and it felt pretty good there too so I don't know that the turbo or exhaust is a restriction but I'm planning on addressing that soon - parts are on the way right now. The turbo is a holset hx35 from a 12v cummins and supposedly it can do ~400 hp, but it's possible that I'm hitting the limit of it. IATs on the charts are post-intercooler

Right now I have a new L67 timing set that I'm planning on putting back in the car now unless it's really possible there's more left here in the L36-1tooth timing setup

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Which hx35 do you have? 7 blade? They made like 6 different hx35's.
The one I have is one of the better ones IIRC
it's a 3592767
7 blade compressor, 12 cm twin scroll exhaust housing, internal wastegate. Looks like it came from a manual 99 cummins

edit: found some more specs:
Compressor:
54 mm inducer
78 mm exducer

turbine:
70 mm inducer
60 mm exducer

I'm about to replace this one with a neat GT35 I found online that seems like it could be a pretty good match for the stock cam and the way I have the exhaust routed right now

Reactions: GTPpower
The one I have is one of the better ones IIRC
it's a 3592767
7 blade compressor, 12 cm twin scroll exhaust housing, internal wastegate. Looks like it came from a manual 99 cummins

edit: found some more specs:
Compressor:
54 mm inducer
78 mm exducer

turbine:
70 mm inducer
60 mm exducer

I'm about to replace this one with a neat GT35 I found online that seems like it could be a pretty good match for the stock cam and the way I have the exhaust routed right now

This turbo is VERY similar to mine spec wise. It also has a 12cm T4 twin scroll exhaust housing. I love this thing for a daily driver/street car. not sure what 800cfm is capable as far as HP, but i feel like this turbo should make 500whp easily. How is spool on the HX-35?
Turbo ModelTE06H-24V-16.0, TE06H-24V
Engine6H, LG4, 6HK1XS, 6HK1XSL
Engine ManufacturerIsuzu
Displacement7.3L, 7300 ccm, 6 Cylinders
FuelDiesel
Bearing Housing(Oil-Cooled)
Turbine Wheel(Ind. 58. mm, Exd. 121. mm, 11 Blades)
Compressor Wheel(Ind. 57.7 mm, Exd. 78. mm, 7+7 Blades, Super back)
Flow Rate800 CMF @ 1.0 Bar

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info