Boostie's F150 ecobooooooost

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
25 months of ownership & 10+ trips to the dealer later I finally got rid of this thing.

-Timing chain replacement @90k miles
-Rear end assembly rebuilt due to loud grinding noise that developed.
-4-5 times the dealer tried various ways to correct a clunk in the drivetrain
-2 Complete rear sliding window assemblies replaced due to defroster INOP
-Transmission Lead Control Module replaced because the truck would randomly downshift and get stuck in 5th gear.
-Radiator replaced due to end tank cracking
-Water pump and multiple molded water hoses replaced
-Heated/Cooled seat module needed a hard reset
-Both 02 sensors failed and needed to be replaced
-2 dealer performed tune ups done to try to fix various issues
-Wires to the sun visor somehow got pinched above the headliner
-Intercooler pipe randomly needed to be replaced
-One of the power mirrors would randomly get stuck
- Master cylinder brake boost assist pump replaced

The final nail in the coffin was the stretched timing chain replacement that cost me $4k out of pocket. The dealer claimed that since the engine was dirty (happened at 90k miles) they believed that proper service was not done and would not cover it. There is a TSB on the 3.5 ecoboost engines for this truck and they gave me the big FU since ford didn't do the oil changes. When I purchased the truck it was sold as a "Certified Pre-Owned" that should have carried a 100k mile powertrain warranty, and I also purchased a Ford premium care bumper to bumper warranty that was good to 120k miles. After reading up on the ford forums I was not alone with many people being denied even though there was a TSB. Only some of the stuff listed above were covered under warranty too.

/rant

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
25 months of ownership & 10+ trips to the dealer later I finally got rid of this thing.

-Timing chain replacement @90k miles
-Rear end assembly rebuilt due to loud grinding noise that developed.
-4-5 times the dealer tried various ways to correct a clunk in the drivetrain
-2 Complete rear sliding window assemblies replaced due to defroster INOP
-Transmission Lead Control Module replaced because the truck would randomly downshift and get stuck in 5th gear.
-Radiator replaced due to end tank cracking
-Water pump and multiple molded water hoses replaced
-Heated/Cooled seat module needed a hard reset
-Both 02 sensors failed and needed to be replaced
-2 dealer performed tune ups done to try to fix various issues
-Wires to the sun visor somehow got pinched above the headliner
-Intercooler pipe randomly needed to be replaced
-One of the power mirrors would randomly get stuck
- Master cylinder brake boost assist pump replaced

The final nail in the coffin was the stretched timing chain replacement that cost me $4k out of pocket. The dealer claimed that since the engine was dirty (happened at 90k miles) they believed that proper service was not done and would not cover it. There is a TSB on the 3.5 ecoboost engines for this truck and they gave me the big FU since ford didn't do the oil changes. When I purchased the truck it was sold as a "Certified Pre-Owned" that should have carried a 100k mile powertrain warranty, and I also purchased a Ford premium care bumper to bumper warranty that was good to 120k miles. After reading up on the ford forums I was not alone with many people being denied even though there was a TSB. Only some of the stuff listed above were covered under warranty too.

/rant
Where do you get your oil changes? Bring them proof and a letter from lawyer because that's complete BS if you were in fact getting regular oil changes...

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
The 3.5 Ecopoop in my Lincoln started having the timing chain issue with the horrendous rattle on cold starts, and even though there is a TSB for the trucks Ford wouldn't extend it to the cars and SUV's because of the labor involved in chain replacement on the FWD chassis. I too had the zero deductible Ford platinum warranty, and I was SOL, so I had to trade it in and take it in the shorts on that wonderful Lincoln depreciation... Pretty shitty that your dealer hung you out to dry like that as well.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
The 3.5 Ecopoop in my Lincoln started having the timing chain issue with the horrendous rattle on cold starts, and even though there is a TSB for the trucks Ford wouldn't extend it to the cars and SUV's because of the labor involved in chain replacement on the FWD chassis. I too had the zero deductible Ford platinum warranty, and I was SOL, so I had to trade it in and take it in the shorts on that wonderful Lincoln depreciation... Pretty shitty that your dealer hung you out to dry like that as well.

Wow that is almost worse of an excuse than what I was told for mine. From reading others experiences and being turned down it appears that the dealers try to find any excuse to deny it as the chain technically could be considered a wearable part. Pretty sad since they have a service bulletin on it happening on the 3.5TT engines.

The replacement. Don’t have any real good pix yet but needs tint and tow mirrors ASAP

359d7bb64bd2edf3ecd647dcc69ae3a1.jpg

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
That is a pretty fucked up ownership experience. Sounds like it is a good thing you got rid of it. If you need a truck, I recommend a Tundra

I was looking into the Tundra as I have a few friends who love theirs but I really wanted to stick with a domestic. Sad thing, it seems like most of the current truck lines from all the major domestic brands seemed to have pretty big flaws with either their engine/trans or chassis complaints.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
Sad thing, it seems like most of the current truck lines from all the major domestic brands seemed to have pretty big flaws with either their engine/trans or chassis complaints.

This is the truth... Ram and GM like to eat camshafts because of active fuel management, Ford Ecoboosts have their fair share of terminal issues from timing chains to turbos, Toyota struggles with transmissions and fuel economy on the Tundra (not to mention it's pretty outdated these days), and the Titan looks like absolute ass, and also gets shit mileage. I'm pretty sure the Coyote F150's are decent though, from what I hear and read, outside of Ford giving them a ridiculous 6k RPM fuel cutoff, but otherwise you have to weigh the good with the bad, hold your nose and pick one of them if you need/want a truck.

Congrats on the Silverado, it was on my list as well when I was shopping last year.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
This is the truth... Ram and GM like to eat camshafts because of active fuel management, Ford Ecoboosts have their fair share of terminal issues from timing chains to turbos, Toyota struggles with transmissions and fuel economy on the Tundra (not to mention it's pretty outdated these days), and the Titan looks like absolute ass, and also gets shit mileage. I'm pretty sure the Coyote F150's are decent though, from what I hear and read, outside of Ford giving them a ridiculous 6k RPM fuel cutoff, but otherwise you have to weigh the good with the bad, hold your nose and pick one of them if you need/want a truck.

Congrats on the Silverado, it was on my list as well when I was shopping last year.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with those. I have talked to some who have reported fords doors not closing in the cold due to something with their latch assemblies and the 10 speed transmissions whining. I will say I did like the dodges for the money but the whole 16 spark plug overhead design of the HEMI sounded like a nightmare. If I didn't drive so much every day I would have just gotten a early 2000's LS based truck from down south and rocked that

5.0/10spd is supreme!

I really wanted to consider the 5.0/10 speed but after hearing everyone complain about the whine a lot have experienced and still having a pretty fresh wound from my truck I felt I had to give someone else a try. When this truck rusts away in 5 years maybe ill re-visit it :jg:

Thread Info