• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical BMW Faulty Oil Level Sensor PSA - FIX FOUND

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I am creating this thread, because it's an issue I experienced that I scoured the internet for, and while I could find posts of people having this issue, no one has ever posted how to FIX IT. So I'm making one, in hopes that it will even help one person that experiences this issue in the future.

As you may or may not be aware, modern bmw's do not have oil dipsticks. When you pull a dipstick out ,oil can drip off of it and make a mess in the engine bay and Ze Germans will just NOT HAVE IT. So you have to rely on an oil sensor to tell you how much oil you actually have in the car. So a little while back I started experiencing this issue where the car was not allowing me to check the oil level. These are the screen I was shown.

wIZdz9q.jpg

4atIHnN.jpg

giphy.gif

Now I was quite certain that my oil level sensor wasn't actually BAD, because if that were the case, I'd definitely be getting some sort of engine service warning that would be quite obvious, so I wasn't sure what the deal was, and was starting to fear I'd have to take in to the dealer to have them recode the computer or some shit like that. It was at this point I reached out to Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo and I have to give all the credit to him from here on out. I described my issues and his first recommendation was disconnect the battery and clamp the cables together and let everything drain and hopefully it will reset the system. Welp that didnt work. :LOL: He hadn't personally experienced this issue before so I reserved my fate that the car was going to have to go in.

And then today.... I get a message from Jimbo. Someone came in with the exact same car, 2014 M235i, with the exact same issue :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: , they scanned it, found a fault with the oil level sensor, cleared the fault, and all good!!

So today when I got home from work, I connected in with the Carly App, which is great for all sorts of things, did the health check scan, it found...........numerous "issues".....but one of them happened to be this.

ePheLhb.jpg

So I had the app clear all the issues, and then......BAM!!

NKYiXac.jpg

0Hd8ZFE.jpg

GOOD. TO. GO.

It's important to note that like I said since the sensor wasn't actually bad, you're not going to see any codes on an OBD check. But the Carly app scans BMW's computer where EVERYTHING gets logged, and that's where it has to get cleared from. I am so glad to be able to know how much oil is in the car again :LOL: and thanks again to Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo for the tips!

I should also note I was unable to reset the oil service indicator as well. I have not yet tried to reset that, but that should also be able to reset now. I am about due for another oil change so I'll try to reset it after that's done.

Now lets see if we can get this thread to trend like my other one where I talked about BMW FB-1 grease that apparently everyone on the internet searches for :LOL:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I don't know if you've noticed but it seems like an awful lot of codes nowadays do not trigger a check engine light and require hard resets and code clearing/adaptives resetting to fix problems.

I think the manufacturers are taking the heart the feds requirement that the check engine light illuminate during emissions failures only.

Kind of makes sense you don't want a customer that bought a new vehicle to see a check engine light and bring it into you if you can program the car to basically operate and ignore it until it's out of warranty.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Seriously, the Germans can over complicate the simple process of boiling water or making toast.

I love that if the tire pressures are too low in this car, it wont let you put the car into sport or sport+ mode.

If you have you door open and try to reverse the car, it locks in park cuz reversing with your door open is dangerous!!

If you've been driving the car and then try to open the hood you get a message that says "hey careful guy! The engine is hot right now!"

But a crucial sensor in the car wigs out and cant do its job for a while..... "its cool brah just keep driving the car and get it checked at your next service. THEY'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO"

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp, bit of an update. I've had to reset the sensor a couple more times now, so maybe the sensor actually is bad. Or there's something else disrupting it somehow. Still doesn't throw any OBD codes, and when I reset it, it works like its supposed to, but, after a little while (days, weeks, not sure), it goes out again....... Was hoping it was just a fluke that made it go out before, but something else is clearly at play here. Will have to get that sorted out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info