đź“° Auto News BMW debuts the 5 series with up to 590hp wrapped in an ugly package

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Turk Turk

1684943348971.png

Speaking of what's under the hood, the 5 Series lineup will kick off in the United States with the base 530i. It has a turbocharged 2.0-liter gasoline engine producing 255 hp and 295 lb-ft or 7 hp and 38 lb-ft more than before. The four-pot mill sends power to the rear wheels and helps the 530i hit 60 mph in 5.9 seconds. At an additional cost, the 530i xDrive cuts the sprint time by a tenth of a second.

Next up is the 540i available only with all-wheel drive. Its 3.0-liter, inline-six engine has been massaged to deliver 375 hp and 384 lb-ft or an additional 40 hp and 52 lb-ft. For a brief period, it delivers 398 lb-ft thanks to the mild-hybrid technology to lower the 0-60 mph time to just 4.5 seconds.

If you're ready to make the switch to an EV, the i5 comes in eDrive40 and M60 flavors. The former has a single motor mounted at the rear, good for 335 hp and 295 lb-ft (317 lb-ft with overboost) to hit 60 mph in 5.7 seconds before reaching an electronically capped 120 mph. The latter uses a dual-motor setup with a meaty 590 hp and 549 lb-ft (605 lb-ft with overboost).

This electric M Performance variant hits 60 mph from a standstill in as little as 3.7 seconds and continues to accelerate until an electronic limiter kicks in at 143 mph. Both zero-emission 5er models share a battery pack with a usable capacity of 84.3 kWh. BMW estimates the RWD model will do 295 miles on a single charge while the more potent AWD should cover 256 miles.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yeah that's a major downgrade in styling for sure. My wife has a 2021 540....i already know how the conversation is going to go when her lease is up when a direct replacement would be that ugly thing and an upgrade would be the even-uglier 7 series.

The current 5 series is straight class

Used-2022-BMW-5-Series-540i-xDrive-M-Sport-Premium-1646822623.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So the BMW design team has ruined the 4 series, m3, m2, 7 series (that 2023 is awfulllll), and now the 5. How do they keep getting away with making such ugly vehicles?

I know it's subjective but I don't think many people would look at the lineups for mercedes or audi and say "damn they have a lot of ugly cars". BMW on the other hand...they're basically there. Ugly redesign after ugly redesign.

Which is unfortunate because I like BMW a lot.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
So the BMW design team has ruined the 4 series, m3, m2, 7 series (that 2023 is awfulllll), and now the 5. How do they keep getting away with making such ugly vehicles?

I know it's subjective but I don't think many people would look at the lineups for mercedes or audi and say "damn they have a lot of ugly cars". BMW on the other hand...they're basically there. Ugly redesign after ugly redesign.

Targeting the older clients that don't want an aggressive looking car, and also want something easier to get in and out of.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX

It's like they had a meeting and the opening line was, "ok team, how can we fuck this up."

Reactions: Chet Donnelly
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info