Autobahn Country Club

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
this is why i joined half a dozen clubs this past year. they dont all require a given marque but many require membership at least.

many clubs however do require a given marque to participate. saac national and northwoods shelby club are notoriously ford-only.

fastfocus said:
so is it svt only that weekend? cuz by then.. all my suspension will be done and dying to get it on a road course...

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
you join a member club, then apply to the club steward to be in the school. the school consists of an 8 hour classroom session (probably at the ramada right there at the offramp) and a day at blackhawk farms. basically if you're there for the autocross school, you can leave at lunch. I stayed for the wheel-to-wheel classroom stuff even though I dont own a racecar. the track day was pretty much what we're used to; a 15-20 minute session and then some chalk talk in the classroom. you instructor rides with you for a while and then they watch you at different corners. this school emphasized going fast more than any other driving school i've taken. the cgi motorsports school at gingerman emphasized it a lot too, but not like these guys. If you're looking for instruction in the grand prix driving technique, take 'Council's school.

I'll probably work a corner during the school or something.

Thanks John,
I haven't decided which I'm going to do, CGI or Midwest Council. I do want to attend one of them though.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Ihave some focus action

dsc_0204.jpg

dsc_0314.jpg

dsc_0317.jpg

dsc_133.jpg

tom03Cobra

YEEOWZZAA
Dec 13, 2004
Here is my B's '02 360 Modena on the autobahn. this car has since been replaced by an '04 Challenge Stradale. If you are out there next year you will see the red Stradale or our Yellow Porsche GT3 Cup (with purple graphics) on the tracks a lot. My cobra will be parked next to the garage.
1290360mod.JPG

Tom
SMS Racing

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
you join a member club, then apply to the club steward to be in the school. the school consists of an 8 hour classroom session (probably at the ramada right there at the offramp) and a day at blackhawk farms. basically if you're there for the autocross school, you can leave at lunch. I stayed for the wheel-to-wheel classroom stuff even though I dont own a racecar. the track day was pretty much what we're used to; a 15-20 minute session and then some chalk talk in the classroom. you instructor rides with you for a while and then they watch you at different corners. this school emphasized going fast more than any other driving school i've taken. the cgi motorsports school at gingerman emphasized it a lot too, but not like these guys. If you're looking for instruction in the grand prix driving technique, take 'Council's school.

I'll probably work a corner during the school or something.

How are you getting into this? Through Salt Creek or through someone else. I may sign up just to enter the school.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
Yeah the Salt Creek Sports Car Club is the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs member club to which I belong. not sure how friendly they are to having trucks on the track.

That figures. One of my bosses races his Porsche at Road America all season, and keeps telling me how I can go check it out with him, but they'd NEVER let a truck on the course. What do I have to do, learn how to drive well enough to spank some of you coupes on AX before the L gets any respect?

How about saac national and northwoods shelby club? Are they midwest council members. I have a feeling a Ford-friendly club would be more accomodating to the L.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
I know northwoods allows lightnings to run, but they only run a scant few events every year.

saac national events are full of squids. i only go becuase its where i got started in all this track stuff. the shelby-american automobile club national meet is in california this year so its a non-issue anyway.

John
Cliff and I joined the Northwoods Shelby club last year in the hopes of getting in to Road America before it fills up this year, to late last time. But how do I go about joining the Salt Creek club? Im interested in joining. I know Cliff is supposed to keep me posted on Gingerman this year as we are planning to go for a couple of days. I havent talked to Kelly lately, im sure he will be at RA but is he going to Gingerman this year?
Lyle

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
getting kelly to do anything is like pulling teeth. the only track event he does is RA and maybe the SAAC national meet if its in the midwest (which its not this year)

salt creek sports car club are the people i autocross with. as far as track time per dollar per hour spent at the track, its kind of weak, but thats becuase its popular and lots of people show up. its also as close as i come to some form of competition. Most of what they do is solo2 autocrossing (cones in a parking lot) with the occasional solo1 autocross (cut a hot lap on the track without other cars around you). I regularly get my ass kicked because my car runs in a Modified class against well-prepared cars. A certain corvette gives it to me every time.

Driving schools/open track events give you WAY more track time. Start with SVTOA and SVT Cobra Club and show up to their events.

It might be more appropriate for you to join a different club than Salt Creek. They're just one of the member clubs of the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs.
http://my.execpc.com/~mcscc/
http://scscc.net/

As soon as I get word that road america registration is open i'll post here in the events forum. You listening Cliff? Get your money ready!

dun4791 said:
John
Cliff and I joined the Northwoods Shelby club last year in the hopes of getting in to Road America before it fills up this year, to late last time. But how do I go about joining the Salt Creek club? Im interested in joining. I know Cliff is supposed to keep me posted on Gingerman this year as we are planning to go for a couple of days. I havent talked to Kelly lately, im sure he will be at RA but is he going to Gingerman this year?
Lyle

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info