🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I imagine I need to close some of the to make the water divert to the drain only or something.

View attachment 200519
1710520192076.png

wheres this go

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Mentioned in the bored thread that the wife has casually mentioned "how nice it would be to have a pool" a few times recently so I imagine this means we will be getting one sooner than later.

What do I need to know, and how expensive is this shit going to be? :bowrofl:

I dont have land like Alex does, so it would be something small, like maybe 20 foot circle or something if I had to make a quick guess.

How dependable are the cheap ones with the big inflatable edge kinda thing?

Am I going to be hiring some landscapers or something to make a big flat ring in the yard?

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Mentioned in the bored thread that the wife has casually mentioned "how nice it would be to have a pool" a few times recently so I imagine this means we will be getting one sooner than later.

I dont have land like Alex does, so it would be something small, like maybe 20 foot circle or something if I had to make a quick guess.

Am I going to be hiring some landscapers or something to make a big flat ring in the yard?
Spivitz Spivitz would be the one to ask about those Walmart pools.
The only thing I know about them, that yes someone needs to come in and lay/level sand otherwise they will be lopsided.
People I know that had them, have had a ton of algae issues, but they are lazy fucks. Again maybe Darrin could chime in on algae issues.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012

Make sure the ground is level as instructed. Shit can the POS pump it comes with, upgrade to a suitable sand filter system.

Screenshot_20240409_104721_Amazon Shopping.jpg

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL

Walk into a pool store like American Sale, they will quote you up.

Things to note.

Have them give you an installer they work with, buy the extra sand bottom and the foam ridge for the outer edge of the liner, it's worth it. I think my 18 foot 54" pool was like 3k or something installed with all the extra's (not including elctrical and this was like 2015 or so.)

Electrical cost me about $1200 to run conduit 50ft from my box to where the pool is. I added a few outlets during the install so I could have electrical access in my backyard.

The installers will flatten out the area for the pool or dig down a bit to undisturbed earth, then lay a sand foundation.

You can't install over underground lines so you'll need Julie to come out. You can't have the pool within so many feet of overhead lines either your local ordinance will tell you the details. Pools usually have to be so many feet from property lines or other buildings etc.

Get your self a Frogger system, I rarely have problems with my pool. I change the chlorine pack every 3-4 weeks, and the mineral pack every 3 months. It's expensive but way easier than testing every day and adjusting shit with tons of different chemicals. The mineral pack is around$100 and the chlorine packs are around $10-20? Figure it's about $200 in chemicals this way for the season.

In our climate, I highly recommend a pool heater, it extends the usable time of the pool by months. Pre heater I was using those stupid PITA solar covers and I opened the pool around June and closed it in early September. With the pool heater I can open in April and close in November if the weather is good. I did this after my pool had been in 2 years. So I had to pay another $800 to run a gas line to the pool, luckily the extra electrical was already there.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So it sounds more like the first discussion needs to be "how long are we living here..." before I even entertain a pool. :bowrofl:

That or do the $500 setup like Spivitz Spivitz has had success with after leveling the ground.

I have a dedicated 20A service out to the shed so I have power out in the general area already....

We shall see where this goes. :rofl:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
So it sounds more like the first discussion needs to be "how long are we living here..." before I even entertain a pool. :bowrofl:

That or do the $500 setup like Spivitz Spivitz has had success with after leveling the ground.

I have a dedicated 20A service out to the shed so I have power out in the general area already....

ya what's funny to me is several realtor's tell me you don't gain value with a pool and in some cases you loose value :dunno:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i mean are yall gonna swim or do you just like the thought of having people over and sitting by a pool?

cuz if it's the latter i'd go and take the money and do some batshit sweet landscaping/hardscape setup with an outdoor kitchen etc. more use out of it, more year round, easier to deal with less mowing etc.

Reactions: FESTER665

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
  • Haha

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
i mean are yall gonna swim or do you just like the thought of having people over and sitting by a pool?

cuz if it's the latter i'd go and take the money and do some batshit sweet landscaping/hardscape setup with an outdoor kitchen etc. more use out of it, more year round, easier to deal with less mowing etc.
She definitely wants to be swimming I am sure.... The last apartment complex she was living at had a nice setup and she was there all the time swimming so I think she is just missing that... :dunno:

Definitely will talk to her to see how long we plan on staying where we are and things of that nature before going too crazy. That or she gets the Jimbo special. :bowrofl:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
That or she gets the Jimbo special. :bowrofl:
I don't know how Yaj Yak Yaj Yak does it. That house we rented with the pool/hot tub, kids ALWAYS wanted to be in there, which meant me in there. I like swimming as much as the next person, but not when I have spider monkeys clinging to me or jumping on top of me the entire time, endlessly. Made me never want a house with a pool until the kids are grown.

• Haha

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I don't know how Yaj Yak Yaj Yak does it. That house we rented with the pool/hot tub, kids ALWAYS wanted to be in there, which meant me in there. I like swimming as much as the next person, but not when I have spider monkeys clinging to me or jumping on top of me the entire time, endlessly. Made me never want a house with a pool until the kids are grown.
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak has plenty of time for the pool and kids as he waits for his Lincoln to be repaired weekly.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

need the ones with the over the shoulder part though or they can slip out

Thread Info