🏡 Better Homes Aquatic crew assemble: All things pool...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
giphy.gif

Let's get this shit rollin....

Got a few new pool owners this year. Tips and tricks appreciated.

Share your money pit, your filtration setup, chemical balances, etc...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Baquacil..... Talk to me? Anybody baller enough to run this shit?

We ran this in both our pools when I was little. Water was amazing, easy on women's hair, didn't stain or bleach any of the toys and equipments.

Down side was cost.

my buddy ran it in his hot tub he was saying

i have another friend who doesn't own a pool but says I'm an idiot if i dont convert to salt water. :rofl:

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Chemical balance is key and is very simple if you stay on top of it. Always get your PH right before adding other chemicals including shocking the pool. Once you get everything right at the beginning of the season. You should probably check it every 3-4 days for the first few weeks. After that, you can check and balance once a week.

We shock once a week using a 1lb bag, usually Monday mornings. If we have a ton of people over for the weekend and the pool gets a lot of use, then we will double up on the shock. If we get a few days in a row with rain/storms, then we shock it after the storms ended.

Vacuum at least twice a week and again, pending the pool usage, maybe more. Ive bought a few different automatic vacuums over the years and they all suck imo. My pool literally takes 20 min to vacuum by hand as long as its done twice a week.

Buy a good testing kit, those strips suck. Initial investment on test kit isnt cheap, but well worth the price. You can order as needed on things that start running low.

We use an earth filter and always have. So I have no knowledge of any other filter.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Baquacil..... Talk to me? Anybody baller enough to run this shit?

We ran this in both our pools when I was little. Water was amazing, easy on women's hair, didn't stain or bleach any of the toys and equipments.

Down side was cost.
I keep my chlorine high and never had an issue with womans hair, and toys/equipment.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Lol sorry. My post was pretty useless. I learned from a young age on how to care for a lot of this stuff though.

If anybody has recommendations for pool security systems I'd like to hear about that. My parents are having issues with destructive pool hopping neighbors, and we want to catch them in the act.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Lol sorry. My post was pretty useless. I learned from a young age on how to care for a lot of this stuff though.

If anybody has recommendations for pool security systems I'd like to hear about that. My parents are having issues with destructive pool hopping neighbors, and we want to catch them in the act.
Camera?
Pool fence with an alarm on the gate

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I use a frogger mineral system and chlorine pack these things aren't cheap but keeps the wife happy she doesn't have to have a floater in the pool. I have a tree that overhangs my pool and a neighbor's tree that's 30ft away both shit all over the pool so I have to clean it several times a week just to keep the crap out of it. My wife has bought several of those automatic pool vacuums and they are all garbage. The only way they work is if you leave it in the pool for half the day, like shawn says it takes me 20 mins to do the manual vacuum and it comes out perfectly clean every time. I have a standard cartridge filter. I have to pull it and clean it once a month and every other month I have to soak it in a cleaner to get it back to white looking.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Camera?
Pool fence with an alarm on the gate
From my initial research, a solar powered ring camera seems to be the best option for a few reasons. They already have and embrace ring which is good because they're not techy at all. Running wires to the deck is not something my dad is going to be cool with, and all the wave sensors that could be installed close to the filter seem to be geared towards saving drowning kids. I don't think the gate thing will work too well because I doubt these assholes would care about using the gate anyway.

For reference, Mom and Dad just got a new liner and repainted the rails last years. Months later, the jackasses who live behind them decided to go swimming with a massive log for some reason. I think I was more pissed about it than they were which is why I want to get them a system.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I use a frogger mineral system and chlorine pack these things aren't cheap but keeps the wife happy she doesn't have to have a floater in the pool. I have a tree that overhangs my pool and a neighbor's tree that's 30ft away both shit all over the pool so I have to clean it several times a week just to keep the crap out of it. My wife has bought several of those automatic pool vacuums and they are all garbage. The only way they work is if you leave it in the pool for half the day, like shawn says it takes me 20 mins to do the manual vacuum and it comes out perfectly clean every time. I have a standard cartridge filter. I have to pull it and clean it once a month and every other month I have to soak it in a cleaner to get it back to white looking.

I think they gave us the dirt demon cleaner... Thing fucking rips! Issue is we need 10 more feet of hose.. But damn that thing does work.. Up the walls too

Reactions: v6buicks

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So, as you remember, last year Wifey bought a Coleman above ground pool. You have to assemble, fill, swim. Come fall, we drained it, disassembled it, put it in bins and I'm "told" we will go through all this again here in a couple weeks.

HOWEVER... Using our stimulation money... She went out and actually bought a regular above ground permanent pool... Here's the kicker... They're so backed up that she bought it now, but they won't be able to install it until next season. So yea, we're doing the Snap-Tite Coleman one again this year.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
So, as you remember, last year Wifey bought a Coleman above ground pool. You have to assemble, fill, swim. Come fall, we drained it, disassembled it, put it in bins and I'm "told" we will go through all this again here in a couple weeks.

HOWEVER... Using our stimulation money... She went out and actually bought a regular above ground permanent pool... Here's the kicker... They're so backed up that she bought it now, but they won't be able to install it until next season. So yea, we're doing the Snap-Tite Coleman one again this year.
????

November last year we decided we were going to buy the fuck out of a pool... Guy said usually 25 pools on layaway this time of season.... But there was 260 ordered to that time...

We said how can we get one installed immediately and bypass everyone else... He said pay in full today...

giphy.gif

Our pool was installed April 3rd?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
TBH, not sure what her impetus was. I argued that I was fine with what we had for the amount of usage it got. Factor in, our kids are getting older and will only actively be using it for a couple more years. The few hot days that I would get in to it, I could count on one hand.

But oh well, looks like I will have a forever pool now. :D

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

Shit is super simple to put together. You can hire a landscaper to clear and level a site for the pool.

Reactions: Shawn1112

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
View attachment 88465it will be missed, but never forgotten.
Nccstud Nccstud

Please take care of Big Blue. Make sure the level is on point :rofl:

I'm hoping to take delivery of its replacement before the 4th o July.

I’d love one of these fuckers. Baller as hell. Got an idea what utility costs are to keep this thing warm?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Shit is super simple to put together. You can hire a landscaper to clear and level a site for the pool.
I was going to say this. I actually helped my uncle compact his yard, disassemble the neighbors pool, and reassemble it in his yard. With a few buddies and a bunch of beer, it's pretty easy. That pool has been up for over 10 years now.

Side note. My uncle made a sweet DIY heater for his too. He just plumbed the filter outlet to the roof of his shed with PVC in the shape a grid and painted it black. It was a bit unsightly for the neighbors, but it worked like a charm. ?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I’d love one of these fuckers. Baller as hell. Got an idea what utility costs are to keep this thing warm?

I bought the 21 footer in October. Gonna sink it in the ground flush against the deck. Then deck around it.

Because of COVID that industry is up like 420%. Thus, my January SOP date got pushed to June (hoping they start on it before)

Duel temp, we will keep spa side hot, but not 100+ degrees imo (when in use)

Swim side I'll not heat in the warmer months.

Figuring on average an additional $100 / month.

I'll be playing around with Temps, figuring it out for a while.

We're all excited.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Thread Info