Anyone have experience with POR15 or Eastwood Chassis Black?

HulkSmash

Reaction score
I wanted to paint my engine bay and wheel wells. This stuff is suppose to be rust and chip resistant if applied correctly. The car does not have any rust but if I don't do something soon it will in the future. I am more concerned with the engine bay on appearance...wondering if this stuff will last and if the color fades away.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I used black Por for the engine compartment on one car and it was awesome high gloss and very chip resistant

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I have used both, POR is the better product but only in certain conditions. When it comes down to price the Eastwood chassis black wins. Plus it's easy to use with its rust inhibitor/converter line of products. The only downside I have seen with the Eastwood product is you can still scratch the finish easier than POR15. Neither chips easy but if you want it to look the best a topcoat is recommended.

For frame rails or underneath of a car where rocks and road debris will hit it consistently I would use the POR product, for an engine bay or inside panels Eastwood product all day.

Eastwood has a store in Alsip so if your close you can save yourself shipping. That store carries POR in inventory as well.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
By definition POR does not sound like the right product for you. It's meant to go on top of rust and rough metal. Smooth and rust free it'll just peel off. You'd be better off using an enamel paint.

HulkSmash

Reaction score
By definition POR does not sound like the right product for you. It's meant to go on top of rust and rough metal. Smooth and rust free it'll just peel off. You'd be better off using an enamel paint.
That's something I was concerned about too. When I was researching this stuff ive seen a lot of people taking there engine bays down to bear metal and then apply por15. I was just going to scuff up the surface.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I think if you scuff up the surface, the POR 15 will be fine.

I've used this stuff on the wife's rear wheel well lip where there was some rust starting. It put an immediate stop to it. Just be sure to coat both sides of the steel.

I've used it on my car's rear wheel well in the same place to prevent any rust in the future (everyone should do this IMO).

I've also used in under the car on the front sway bar, frame and anywhere else that can be chipped up by rocks or road debris. It has held up very well so far and I don't expect it will ever come off.

That POR 15 is unbelievably tough. I spilled a few drops on my driveway a couple years ago and the spots are still there looking good as new, despite all the winters, snow plowing, sun, weather, etc.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
That's something I was concerned about too. When I was researching this stuff ive seen a lot of people taking there engine bays down to bear metal and then apply por15. I was just going to scuff up the surface.
It needs to be a rough surface to adhere. Also it's called paint over rust so it doesn't need to be spotless. Just remove the loose material.

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
Used POR-15 on the rusty floorboards in my Fiero, turned out great and is sill holding up. You can use it over paint but as said you need to rough up the surface first.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I might be late to the party but I've done a lot of work with POR15 over the last few years. Multiple engines with their enamel system and frame work, rust repairs as well. It's an amazing product. If you get the engine enamel , it won't fade (guaranteed) over time or so the company says. It'll also stick better from experience as opposed to the regular stuff. It comes in a ton of colors too.. [MENTION=12309]HulkSmash[/MENTION]

Unitsn4

Reaction score
I've used both. You can't go wrong with either in an engine bay. I'd spray it to get it to lay as flat as possible. If the sheen isn't right after it dries, you can top coat it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom