Anyone have any experience with battery powered push mowers?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

looking at the dewalllllt of course, the toro one looks interesting, EGO power has great reviews. etc.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
actual area that will need to be mowed looks like it's under a fifth of an acre.

kinda "technical" with lots of turns/nooks/crannies with one solid hill

Ego Select Cut essentially copied the Honda Twin-Blade system, which is best in the biz for mulching as of late. Additionally, Toro just added a SuperRecycler version in the 60v line I'd look at as well.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Bro has the EGO. He loves it and uses it for his personal home. He has had it years no issues and he is a land scapper that has huge riding mowers so he picky. I only have a electric rider so can't comment :) But I trust his opinion.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think the Ego with the 56 volt/5ah battery has like 45 minutes of run time. But lawn length, density, etc. will impact this. Also not self-propelled if that's important to you.

so two houses ago i had a husqvarna gasser that was self propelled and the self propelled feature annoyed me because i walked faster than it... so i'd get pissed off walking too slow. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ego Select Cut essentially copied the Honda Twin-Blade system, which is best in the biz for mulching as of late. Additionally, Toro just added a SuperRecycler version in the 60v line I'd look at as well.

that one you're talkin bout?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Here's the one with self-propelled...

One issue I take with their description...

• Select Cut™ Multi-Blade System for premium cutting performance that exceeds gas

That isn't true. As mentioned above, Honda has been using a twin blade setup for years now and Snapper has had their Ninja blades out since the mid-90's. My older Snapper is a 1995 model with it. And the honda twin-blade and Snapper Ninja are the two best out there in terms of cut quality.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
A few weeks ago I bought a Ryobi push 20" 40v Brushless Lithium at Home Depot for $299. It takes me about 40 minutes to mow my yard, and I've got about 35%-45% battery life remaining. It's lightweight (plastic deck), so pushing it is very easy. I didn't want a propelled mower as I don't mind the mild extra effort, I can set my own pace, the battery would last longer without propulsion, lighter-weight is easier to turn and pivot, and more power goes towards the blade for long/thick grass. The motor spins up automatically when it encounters resistance from thick grass, and it does as good, if not better, than my old gas mower. It gets good reviews, and Aircal has been using one for the last 3 years with good long term quality. It flips upright for easy storage as well. Only negative is that there is a lot of space in front of the cutting deck for the front axle, so I can't get up close in corners, which means I need to do a bit more trimming with the weed-eater. Other than that, my short-term ownership experience has been good and I'm happy with the purchase.

FB_IMG_1619710698867.jpg

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL

that one you're talkin bout?

Yes, SuperRecycler is Toro's competitive option to the Honda TwinBlade. Additionally, I'd recommend NOT cutting at full sprint lol. A super fast cut is not a quality cut. Ground speed is important to allow the mower deck to lift the blades and cut them efficiently.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yes, SuperRecycler is Toro's competitive option to the Honda TwinBlade. Additionally, I'd recommend NOT cutting at full sprint lol. A super fast cut is not a quality cut. Ground speed is important to allow the mower deck to lift the blades and cut them efficiently.
giphy.gif

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
We’ve talked about this via PM already but I love my DEWALT mower. I’ve had it 3 years and not had a single hiccup. It cuts well, light weight, stores upright in the garage, and of course the batteries can be used in other tools vs having dedicated batteries for a mower. The batteries are warranties for 3 years no cost as well.

The bad reviews on the mower usually come from folks expecting to cut a half acre on 2- 5.0Ah batteries. That was the initial problem when we packaged the mower with smaller Ah batteries, which is really our fault. It gave a false perception of performance, but we only did it to keep the initial cost down. Also if you cut your grass regularly and aren’t trying to mow down wet neglected grass that is a foot tall because you were too lazy to cut it 3 weeks ago, you should be all good.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I have one. It's is not only the fastest self driven mower I've ever used, it's never bogged down like all of our other gas mowers. Especially this one part of our lawn where the grass seems to grow faster than anywhere else.

I keep the batteries inside for winter and having no maintenance, and I mean none, is the best part about it.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have one. It's is not only the fastest self driven mower I've ever used, it's never bogged down like all of our other gas mowers. Especially this one part of our lawn where the grass seems to grow faster than anywhere else.

I keep the batteries inside for winter and having no maintenance, and I mean none, is the best part about it.

so like which one

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info