Anyone have any experience with battery powered push mowers?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Gas powered yard equipment is a waste of time for the most part. If you have a viable option to go battery powered do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. It will save you a bunch of headaches in terms of maintenance and use.

i mean, other silly part, i don't realllllly want to store gasoline in my new attached garage. call me paranoid and yeah i know everyone does it but fuck, my buddy's parent's shed which was super close to their house just went up and they were SUUUUPER lucky the house didn't go with it- it burned all the siding on one side of their house.

Reactions: greasy

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean, we're all car guys, right? We live in the garage. We're constantly tinkering with things. Doing preventative maintenance on my power equipment isn't this nail pulling, excruciating affair.

id so much rather tinker on something i want to than something i need to though.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
id so much rather tinker on something i want to than something i need to though.
Story of my fucking life!
don’t become a mechanic because you “like tinkering with cars” should have been the first class in tech school

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Story of my fucking life!
don’t become a mechanic because you “like tinkering with cars” should have been the first class in tech school

Yup. Luckily realized it early on when I started at UTI and said "nope, im out...."

Like working on my own cars, hate working on other peoples piles..... Hell, now I dont even work on my own shit either. :bowrofl:

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If the yard is big enough to justify a large deck then I can see running gas. If all you need is a ~21" deck then battery powered all of the way. I literally slide batteries in and go, practically zero maintenance with the exception of sharpening the blade and cleaning the underside of the deck which you have to do on a gas mower anyway.

Question for you.... The self propelled DeWalt bad boy comes with (2) 20V 10aH batteries, which would likely be enough for my yard anyway, but I should see a difference using (2) 60v flexvolt 9ah batteries right?

Trying to think about which would get more yard done, even though the flexvolt battery has one less ah....

Reactions: Yaj Yak

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Loving to tinker and having time to tinker are two totally different animals. Lately Id forget to breathe if it wasnt an automatic thing my body does. :rofl:

Again, I get it, no right or wrong answer. There are so many variables.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Car enthusiasts are raising concerns with filling a lawn mower gas tank and changing the oil (when you remember to)?

1620053486969.gif

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Car enthusiasts are raising concerns with filling a lawn mower gas tank and changing the oil (when you remember to)?

Even a master chef will go to a restaurant or order a pizza because they don't always feel like preparing their own meals. And just because I'm a car enthusiast doesn't mean I need to find a gas powered vacuum cleaner, coffee maker, and ceiling fan to demonstrate my commitment to internal combustion engines...:ROFLMAO:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Question for you.... The self propelled DeWalt bad boy comes with (2) 20V 10aH batteries, which would likely be enough for my yard anyway, but I should see a difference using (2) 60v flexvolt 9ah batteries right?

Trying to think about which would get more yard done, even though the flexvolt battery has one less ah....

The 10Ah battery would last longer. The technology of the FlexVolt battery does nothing for performance in a 20V tool other than having the ability to be used on both platforms.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
So Yaj Yak Yaj Yak asks about electric lawn mowers and somehow .... the thread becomes spending a few minutes changing lawn mower oil once a year (if you remember to) or filling a gas tank is time consuming, PITA, Etc.

I just don’t see it.

The next debate will be sharpening vs replacing lawnmower blades, along with using a jack vs tipping the machine on its side.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The next debate will be sharpening vs replacing lawnmower blades, along with using a jack vs tipping the machine on its side.

Well, you make a good point. One advantage of an electric lawnmower is you can tip the thing on its side or even turn it upside down and nothing will leak out. :p

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So Yaj Yak Yaj Yak asks about electric lawn mowers and somehow .... the thread becomes spending a few minutes changing lawn mower oil once a year (if you remember to) or filling a gas tank is time consuming, PITA, Etc.

I just don’t see it.

Fuck, you just described what I did this past Saturday.

For the record, sharpened the blades since they have lot of meat left on them. Jammed some wood under the deck so I could get to the nut. So, tipping I guess? ?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Got me a ryobi 21 inch deck self propelled mower on Tuesday with 2 6ah batteries. Had to charge both 3 times to get my yard to not look like the Amazon.

To be fair, the grass was 10-12 inches. 12 closer to the back and sides while the front was 8-10. Damn thing was turboing up set at the highest level. Also doesn’t help it’s a corner lot so it’s a damn bit of grass

I’ll say electric probably isn’t suited for trying to get lawns under control, but we will see how she does when it’s just a basic maintenance cut.

It did cut very damn nice I’ll give it that.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So is someone starting a sharpening vs replacement thread?

Didn't see this. I kinda do both. I keep multiple blades for my mowers and then rotate them and sharpen usually after every 2 - 3 mowings. Then replace as they wear out. Like I mentioned in another thread, the gator blades on my tractor are getting a little beat up, so I have to get a new set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info