Any welders here? Helmet shopping

PJx5x

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new welding hood for mig and tig. Have been looking at the Speedglas 9100x and Miller Digital Elite. Anyone have experience with either of these? Or suggest others. Looking to spend ~300 or less.

Know of a place to try them on?

deviantlx

Reaction score
I have the miller elite series. I also have the speedglass. I don't prefer one over the other. ones at work, the other at home.

the miller is slightly bigger. both were over 300 with tax if I remember right.

PJx5x

Reaction score
Thanks. The miller is actually $180 right now after rebate, so Im leaning towards that one. Trying to figure out if the speedglas is somehow worth the extra $130.

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
I really like the 3m speedglass helmets. We had a couple of them in the SAE workshop at school. Auto dimming response was really quick. When tack welding with my crappy Harbor Freight helmet, I start seeing spots because it doesn't respond quickly enough.

PJx5x

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I was able to play with the Digital Elite at the local store today and liked it. They only had Speedglas 100's so I couldn't compare unfortunately. My coworker also suggested looking into Jackson's.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Reaction score
Fuck those fancy looking painted up Hood's... I got a auto dim Metalman thats beat to piss, Gets the job done and gets me paid... I purchased it @ Wisco Welding Supply down on Western Ave in the City... I had a old fucking cheap one that you had to replace the lenses on that I purchased @ Terrace in Villa Park before that, I keep that around for people to borrow or If someone wants to watch...

PJx5x

Reaction score
An extra $100 or $200 now for better eye protection is a lot cheaper than eye surgery later in life. Not really looking to purchase a basic hood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom