alright tcg martha stewarts. what's your turkey tidbits and how-to's.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
annnd go.

how you cookin' your bird this year... er how did you cook it in the past?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Did a half bird in the crock put last year. Best turkey I had in a long time that wasn't deep fried

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
tips: let grandma cook it, because no one has ever cooked a better turkey than grandma

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i've been reading a lot about sptachcocked. kinda neat.

Intel

Reaction score
It wasn't that hard. Had a 12lb bird done in like 70-75 minutes. Injected it with beer/butter mix also.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i'm doing a 17lb'er this year... we'll see how it goes.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
throw that bird on the bbq. fucking perfect. thinking of trying white casltle slider stuffing for the lulz

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i have my traeger pellet grill and a weber charcoal kettle... deciding between the two...

if it's as cold as it should be (im cooking sunday) i am thinking traeger for ease.

Intel

Reaction score
Ah yeah the oven one was a backup if I screwed up deep frying 2 11to12lb turkeys fed 14 nicely. Doing thanksgiving again with the family so have to decide which route I want to go or do both again. Was nice to basically be done with all turkey in 2 hours though vs the 4 hours my parents did.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
I brine and bake. Been doing it the same for years and everyone always says it's the best bird ever.

1 gallon veg broth
1 cup sea salt
1 tb rosemary
1 tb sage
1 tb thyme
1 tb savory
1 gallon water

Bring all ingredients minus 1 gallon of water to boil, dump 1 gallon of water in to mix after boil to cool the brine. Get brine down to cold temp. Drop bird in and let sit over night and throw in oven next day. It'll cook a little faster. So be watchful.

Angus

Reaction score
Turduckenhenegg

An egg inside a cornish hen, inside a chicken, inside a duck, inside a turkey.

Next year I'll keep adding another layer and stuff all that into an ostrich. :hsughwiggle:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Turduckenhenegg

An egg inside a cornish hen, inside a chicken, inside a duck, inside a turkey.

Next year I'll keep adding another layer and stuff all that into an ostrich. :hsughwiggle:
PICS

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Taking it out of the freezer and bringing it to my parents’ house, let them cook it. Eat like a king!

Z28Camaro

Reaction score
I brine and bake. Been doing it the same for years and everyone always says it's the best bird ever.

1 gallon veg broth
1 cup sea salt
1 tb rosemary
1 tb sage
1 tb thyme
1 tb savory
1 gallon water

Bring all ingredients minus 1 gallon of water to boil, dump 1 gallon of water in to mix after boil to cool the brine. Get brine down to cold temp. Drop bird in and let sit over night and throw in oven next day. It'll cook a little faster. So be watchful.
This is a great start for the brine. I use the Cook's Illustrated method which starts with brining as well, their brine recipe has sugar in it too.

Stuff the bird with cut up carrots, celery and onion, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, melted butter. Brush the bird thoroughly with melted butter too. Throw more celery, onion and carrots in the bottom of the roaster pan and add a couple cups of water in there to keep them from drying out - makes an amazing base for gravy when combined with all the drippings. May need to add some more water part way through, watch the bottom of the pan.

Cook the bird upside down at first to give the dark meat a head start, run it on both sides before finishing it breast side up. Makes some of the best roast turkey you will get.

Deep fried is also really great but I'm a little more traditional and like the procedure/ordeal of roasting t in the oven for several hours and smelling the house up all good in the process.

For reference:

This Is How You Should Cook Your Turkey (to Avoid Wasting Hours)

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
everything im reading on serious eats (which is basically cooking gospel to me) is saying dry brine as opposed to a water based one... and im leaning that way.

montecarloz31

Reaction score
Brine for at least 24 hours then roast, use a "turkey triangle" to protect the breasts (basically a triangle of tin foil that covers the breast meat, looks kinda like a breastplate when on lol) Keeps it nice and moist without drying out the white meat. Only use a fresh, never frozen turkey too. The brine recipe above is about the same as we use. I had no idea turkey could be this moist till the wife tried this way a couple years ago.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
everything i read said you'd be hard pressed to taste any difference between fresh/frozen...

and for like 1/3-1/4 the price. ill take my chances.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
My mom always used a cheese cloth over the entire bird. She says it holds onto the basting juices more and keeps things moist in the oven.:dunno:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i wound up spatchcocking my bird on saturday, cutting the backbone out was totally doable just a bit more unnerving than i had thought it was going to be... i was also glad i had a good knife.

I then dry brined it.. a good amount of salt and some smoked sea salt also and a tiny bit of baking powder... let it sit in the fridge uncovered overnight til sunday. injected it sunday about noon with juices that had seeped out from sitting.

i tucked the wing tips behind the bird and then went for the grill.

i smoked it for about an hour and a half at around 180*

then pulled it off the grill/smoker (traeger) and let it sit in the fridge until the grill got up to 375* or so and grilled it for about two and a half hours.

i pulled it off when it was 152* and it coasted to 165 after about 25 minutes of sitting.

it was fucking awesome.

crispy skin with tons of flavor, a nice subtle smoke taste throughout (i smoked with apple/hickory pellet mix) and EXTREMELY moist and tender.

major fail in not getting a pic as i took it off. butttttt here's the table.

i also cooked bacon/onion green beans, mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar, pecans & bacon, a ham, homemade gravy from homemade stock from the backbone and other "parts"

Last edited:

montecarloz31

Reaction score
everything i read said you'd be hard pressed to taste any difference between fresh/frozen...

and for like 1/3-1/4 the price. ill take my chances.
Fresh not for taste but for the brining process. Previously frozen birds don't take the brine as well.

I like the sound of that smoked one though. Might need to try that next year.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Weber grill
Brinkman smoker
Oven
Oh, I did a beer can turkey on the Weber, I think that's the best.
I've also deep fried a few birds but do not cook em like that anymore..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom