alright tcg martha stewarts. what's your turkey tidbits and how-to's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
fwiw this was the quote as to why i didn't go with a wet-brine.

The Quick and Dirty Guide to Brining Chicken or Turkey | Serious Eats

I vastly prefer dry-brining. A traditional brine will plump up your turkey with moisture, but that moisture is mainly water, leading to a turkey that tastes watered down. A dry brine, on the other hand, helps a turkey retain its natural moisture without adding any excess liquid, which leads to more intensely flavored end results.

Adding baking powder to a dry brine can also improves your turkey skin. Not only does the baking powder work to break down some skin proteins, causing them crisp and brown more efficiently, but it also combines with turkey juices, forming microscopic bubbles that add surface area and crunch to your skin as it roasts.

The Food Lab: The Truth About Brining Turkey | Serious Eats

Secondly, brining robs your bird of flavor. Think about it: your turkey is absorbing water and holding on to it. That means that that extra 30 to 40% savings in moisture loss is not really turkey juices—it's plain old tap water. Many folks who eat brined birds have that very complaint: It's juicy, but the juice is watery.

I've seen a number of solutions (solutions, get it? haha) offered for this problem, so I decided to test them all out side by side.

The Food Lab: The Truth About Brining Turkey | Serious Eats

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I brine over night, get the smoker to 225 and let her rip until the thigh is about 180.

I use a simple brine:

2 gallons water
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar

Heat some of the water up and dissolve the salt and sugar, then mix in remaining water. Cool water down. Use a large bucket and pour the brine over the bird to cover. Refrigerate to keep cold for 12 to 18 hours

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info