Added to the armada. bennington nugtoon. 20' of fury.

wc9550

Sep 16, 2010

We picked up a brand new 2019 South Bay (Mother’s Day weekend last year). Dealer says it’s 24 feet, but the deck is actually 25.5 feet. I will be picking it up from storage today after work. Tomorrow I’ll clean it up a little then OT goes to the dealer Saturday for some maintenance, motor mounting adjustment (trying to get more MPH from it) and a new cover installed. Currently it will do 38mph (I feel it should low 40’s with the engine I have). If adjusting the mounting of the engine (either raising or lowering) doesn’t help, I will be getting a new prop. We love it and put almost 50 hours on it last season. So we are ready to get back on it (hopefully sooner than later with all the stuff going on).

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
very nice

yeah pontoon sizing is hilarious. bennington depending on the series is different size... a 23' Q or R series is closer to 26/27 long... their 24 foot S series is going to be closer to 24/25 long. just all over the board.

and yeah i do think you should be seeing more than 38 mph out of that without a huge crowd on it.

Eagle Eagle had a 24' SPS tritoon bennington with a yammy 200 and had no issues getting into the 40's (when his center storage wasn't a ballast tank at least) :s00ls:

wc9550

Sep 16, 2010
Yaj Yak: thanks!!

We really like the boat and usually only have the 4 of us on it (me, wife and 2 small kids). So it isn’t overloaded by any means (it says we can put 13 people or 2850lbs on it). I am right where I need to be on RPM’s according to mercury, but from ~5300 rpm and up, there is no more gain on MPH. I have a good feeling that when I get her back from the dealer, the low 40’s will be the norm for the boat. Thanks again

Reactions: Yaj Yak

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
@ W wc9550

My dads 22ft bennington tritoon with 175 Yamaha does 45 on GPS with just me on it. Its a base model boat is probably considerably lighter than yours. 38 does not sound unheard of for a 25ft boat. Obviously any passengers, cargo, bimini up/down, wave conditions, and if the toons have algae on them can slow the boat down. See if you can get info to populate the below calculator. If you don't have alot of prop slip I wouldn't waste any money buying different props.

wc9550

Sep 16, 2010
Panda,

my boat is considered a 24ft boat (but it’s actually closer to 25.5 feet). I think your dads 22 footer may be similar (closer 23 or 24 feet). Also my boat hasn’t done 40mph no matter I’ve done (even since new). I have had Bimini up and down, I have gone with the family (4 of us) as well as by myself, loaded with coolers and cargo and no cargo, full tank of fuel and 1/8 tank of fuel. I have gone out with 12-18” waves as well as flat water. None of it makes a difference it will still not do 40’s (really doesn’t do 39 either). It stays right at 38-38.5 mph (I have 3 different gps devices as well to confirm speed). My boat lives on a trailer when not in use (it is not left on a lift, or floating in the water). To clarify

Empty boat (no cargo), myself only, 1/8 tank of fuel, bimini down, flat water= 38.5mph

loaded boat (up to 9 people on board is most I’ve had, 4 full coolers, full tank of fuel (42 gallons), Bimini top up, in 8-12” waves= 34.5-35mph

plus my boat’s dry weight is 2215lbs (my decking is composite and not wood. There is no wood on my boat at all). Also dry weight of the engine is 475lbs (let’s call it 550 with fluids). So that means my boat should weigh in well under 3k when I have my “empty boat” scenario from above.

also I used your calculator and based on the info I entered, my prop slip is 4.51% (I have a 13 pitch, 3 blade stainless prop and turn it to 5920-5980rpm).

I have heard of several guys with different brand boats, similar size (dealer/mfg calling it a 24 footer) with 150hp engines running 40mph.

I just feel this boat should easily be low 40’s especially in my “empty boat” scenario.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
So I have an odd question for you guys. Do any of you guys know of a company that will polish the toons to a chrome like finish? I don’t have the tools to do that, but would like it done. Thanks in advance!!

Any aluminum polishing company should be able to hook you up - semi wheel polishing outfits.
Maintenance of the shine is a bitch and it'll likely be slower with them polished. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Jon01: thanks for the info man. I’m gonna look for a couple semi wheel places and see what they say. As for the speed, is that really true? It’ll slow it down with them polished? If so, any idea how much slower?

Just what I've heard on toons after quite a bit of reading.
I was seriously looking at a Playcraft with a 575SCI a year or so ago, the boat was rough but the power was solid.
Part of the evaluation to buy or not was cost to restore and part of that was cost to refinish the logs - polish, powder coat or paint. If memory serves PC wouldn't hold up well but there was a paint that people were using on the logs. I'll do some more reading through my notes tomorrow and try to find the product that folks were using and share it with you.
FWIW, my old Formula 271 had had the bottom blueprinted, from the step back was NOT a smooth finish, rather a brushed finish. The guy that did the work said it was worth 2-3 mph.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think I’d try that spitfire in the standard aluminum, it’s slightly smaller diameter might make it easier to spin the 15 pitch but with like 90% of the benefits of the 15 pitch lol, possibly less rpm loss, id probably stick with a 4 blade

1quick 1quick

my prop this year with the low levels and early boating season got kissed a few times i think it's time to try this other one.

other thing- i was reading other posts today about where my motor should be and it seems like a general consensus should be the cavitation plate should be near the bottom of the center toon.... do you think i'd see any improvements rasing the motor two holes?

1594818931397.png

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
1quick 1quick

my prop this year with the low levels and early boating season got kissed a few times i think it's time to try this other one.

other thing- i was reading other posts today about where my motor should be and it seems like a general consensus should be the cavitation plate should be near the bottom of the center toon.... do you think i'd see any improvements rasing the motor two holes?

View attachment 62640
I’m not sure how toons respond to higher x demention but it’s worth a try worst case it blows out easy with a bit of trim best case you gain a few mph, I kissed my prop putting the boat on the trailer at Clinton this weekend luckily it’s a mirage and thick as hell so it just slightly roughed up the edges

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m not sure how toons respond to higher x demention but it’s worth a try worst case it blows out easy with a bit of trim best case you gain a few mph, I kissed my prop putting the boat on the trailer at Clinton this weekend luckily it’s a mirage and thick as hell so it just slightly roughed up the edges

so right now it porpoises before it blows out completely

which is just funny because im pretty sure about 4' of the toons is all that's in the water at 30+ mph :rofl: has to look hilarious for sucha little toon.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
so right now it porpoises before it blows out completely

which is just funny because im pretty sure about 4' of the toons is all that's in the water at 30+ mph :rofl: has to look hilarious for sucha little toon.
If it’s not a big job it would be worth it to try raising it up, I know on v bottom boats the closer to the v you can get the prop line the faster they go

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If it’s not a big job it would be worth it to try raising it up, I know on v bottom boats the closer to the v you can get the prop line the faster they go

i have a forklift at work, the motor has to have a lifting ring on the top of it right? i could rig to it easy enough, pull the bolts, raise it up two holes and see what happens? :dunno:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
1quick 1quick

View attachment 62640

What are those cleaners of choice?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i have a forklift at work, the motor has to have a lifting ring on the top of it right? i could rig to it easy enough, pull the bolts, raise it up two holes and see what happens? :dunno:
I’m sure they have some place to lift from but I’m not sure where I’ve never looked at a new 4 stroke for that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info