About to pull the trigger on a blower...

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, you are going to hit a wall with that rear-end gear ratio...your TQ will be immense compared to what you are used to...and you will hit the top-end too fast.

It would help you a lot to put a 3.10-3.30 ratio in there. I had a buddy that built a killer 390 FE motor/CJ heads in a 65 mustang...he could not afford custom headers, so he used exhaust manifolds, which killed power past 5500 rpm. He ran a 4.30 gear with GIANT M/t's.

Car ran a best of 14.10!...but would lift the front on launch.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well, you are going to hit a wall with that rear-end gear ratio...your TQ will be immense compared to what you are used to...and you will hit the top-end too fast.

It would help you a lot to put a 3.10-3.30 ratio in there. I had a buddy that built a killer 390 FE motor/CJ heads in a 65 mustang...he could not afford custom headers, so he used exhaust manifolds, which killed power past 5500 rpm. He ran a 4.30 gear with GIANT M/t's.

Car ran a best of 14.10!...but would lift the front on launch.

I agree, I will NAIL the wall with my 4.10, but changing to a 28 inch tire will make the biggest difference as that is the 'correct' tire for an explorer with the 5.0

Assuming I like the setup, and am still over geared with the cam, I will see about switching to 3.27's (Which is a fairly common 'older' ford rear end gear)

I redline at only 5K currently, and will be going to 6K with the cam (but won't do the cam until I can afford cam and headers at the same time). I also found that the cam I was going for ANYWAYS, turns out to be a fairly solid cam for FI setups as well.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, choose your cam carefully...in fact, I'd put the blower on first so you can see it's shortcomings and tailor the valvetrain to optimize it. I still think the blower will limit top-end power...so a 5k redline might be faster than a cam that wrings it out to 6K. However, a little more lift might be a good thing.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I believe there has been trouble getting a tune in this truck. How is it going to get tuned for the blower?

Stock ECU/MAF can handle 8psi before 'pegging' this kit is 6psi and was developed for use with the 5.0 explorers and the stock ECU. My tuning issues are primarily that noone works on ODB 2 5.0s, fortunately being an obd2 ECU also means it can compensate for quite a bit, including the boost I will be feeding it.

I do have a tuner that I'm slowly learning more about, and im picking up a wideband O2 to keep an eye on everything.

As Ron suggested, yes, I am doing the blower before anything else to see how it behaves, and then decide on cam etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info