About to pull the trigger on a blower...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Any pics? I can tell you exactly what it is.

EE-3-1.jpg

EE-1-1.jpg

The blower was built only 2 years ago *early 09* that was designed for this application is sadly all I know :(

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I still don't see how its 'not worth shit' if its proven to put out 285hp up from basically 200......

So a maxed out supercharger kit that makes 285hp (on a v8:mamoru:) for $2k is worth it to you?

If you want to hear the words "yea do it it'll be awesome!" then there you go.

I'd rather buy a welder, a pile of pipes and a used $500 turbo personally.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So a maxed out supercharger kit that makes 285hp (on a v8:mamoru:) for $2k is worth it to you?

If you want to hear the words "yea do it it'll be awesome!" then there you go.

I'd rather buy a welder, a pile of pipes and a used $500 turbo personally.

Here are my issues I suppose...

anything 'more' than what this supercharger is putting out PSI wise is going to be A) Challenging the stock internals B) Require extensive tuning/tuning options C) Require extensive custom work

My goal for this truck is essentially 350hp, I don't have 'huge' goals for it. :dunno:

When I want a car that can do a 10 second quarter mile, I will purchase a mustang again (that is the plan)

2K to get within a stones throw of my goal for the truck with what is essentially a bolt-on kit seems to be a pretty good deal for me...

This same kit Propelled a full-weight AWD Explorer to a 15.5 quarter mile with nothing else done, My truck is already 7/10ths faster than that, is bone stock, and is NA...

I am posting this not to 'disagree' with everyones opinions, it just seems most people think I want a 500hp truck, which I don't :(

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
It sounds like you are trying awfully hard to justify this to us, and asking us our opinion at the same time. Just buy it if you want it that much. A 13 second supercharged truck sounds pretty damn boring to me though.

To answer your question about going FI or heads cam, id go FI. There is a lot more potential and a lot more re-sale value in the parts.

Start with a 3200ish torque converter and put a set of heads on it. If that is close to making you happy, toss a cam in it another time, if not, pick up a procharger and go willy nilly.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It sounds like you are trying awfully hard to justify this to us, and asking us our opinion at the same time. Just buy it if you want it that much. A 13 second supercharged truck sounds pretty damn boring to me though.

To answer your question about going FI or heads cam, id go FI. There is a lot more potential and a lot more re-sale value in the parts.

Start with a 3200ish torque converter and put a set of heads on it. If that is close to making you happy, toss a cam in it another time, if not, pick up a procharger and go willy nilly.

I know, and I apologize that its coming off that way... There is a 'long term plan' for something 'faster' but that won't be for some time. The blower kit despite being close to maxed, will hold its value quite well honestly as you mention. They sell used for $2600-2800 when they DO pop up for sale.

I thought you said you were going to pull the engine to build it anyways....

There's a reason this kit isn't made anymore :roflpicard: you're taking an already poor blower for a 3.8 and putting it on a 5.0.

I was going to pull the motor for a rebuild, After cutting a high 14 pass, I found that the trucks engine is in a far better state than I thought it was, and don't need to.

The long-term plan is to swap everything next winter to a clean supercab, and make it a DD/tow rig *300hp/400tq Ranger with a posi and a supercab would be an amazing DD IMO*. I am going to pickup an 05+ GT or 07GT500 later this year, or early next year since Finances have been 'improving', and that will be the 'long term' project.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
I don't usually like to agree with the 3800 club, but they are 100% correct. The SC M90 flavor really sucks (3.8 NA - 140 HP, 220 ft/lbs tq, 3.8 SC - 210 HP, 330 ft/lbs tq).

The only benefit you're really going to have is down low, where you don't need the help. At high rpms the M90 isn't going to keep up and may become a hindrance.

So you're going to spend 2 grand to pick up maybe 1 second in the 1/4 when you could go with even low - moderate boost levels and make a lot more power.

The M90 isn't getting to 350 HP, not without a crapload of work and expense and by that point you'll be out of this truck and onto something else.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The M90 isn't getting to 350 HP, not without a crapload of work and expense and by that point you'll be out of this truck and onto something else.

The kit is 285AWHP on an explorer... Which would be a crack over 300 at the crank with nothing else done :hs:

Ended up dropping the price even more, so I pulled the trigger on it :bigthumb:

Additional information shows it holds 6PSI all the way to redline, so I will see how it does, and if I don't like the setup, I will move it over to another truck.

Gotta go pickup a wideband and a boost gauge now :)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If it were supercharged stock, that would be great, but this truck/kit is not. Why spend all that money to just run 13s?

Slap a nice whipple on top!

WITH the blower and tires, I will still have less than $4500 into this truck including the price of the truck, so its really not 'all that money'

I don't have high expectations *Just want a 13.99*, but from what I'm finding more and more, I may be able to dig far deeper into the 13's than I am aiming for with this kit and some other small nick-nacks.

A member of this board who is not very active has a mustange vortech or similar type blower for sale. I think He only wants $1500

Got this kit for about the same money, and its a direct/full kit for the Explorer engine/ECU and accessories.

I'm gonna be running 13's and it is pretty boring :rofl:

I think I've mumbled about it in some other threads, but the 'long term plan' is to pull the powertrain after this season, 'freshen' some things up, and drop it into a 98+ Supercab to use as a daily driver. I think a 13 second ford ranger would be a nice little DD, and would be able to haul/tow things around as well nicely.

if/when I want something thats sub 13's, I will buy another 05+ Mustang GT to play with, which may be in the cards as early as this summer/fall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info