🔧 BUILD 99 Silverado trials and tribulations

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
Look I know there’s easier ways to have gone about this but I’m too dumb to look that far ahead. This started as I want to do a dont bs me build for burnouts and ice cream. Also, I’m going to post this over a couple days because man is this a PITA on my phone.

I work at a wholesale plant nursery and from time to time our mechanic shop deems a vehicle not worth repairing and it gets drug off to the bone yard and that’s where this started. It’s a nbs 99 single cab Silverado 4.3 short bed that was finally deemed not worth fixing so I offered $200 for it and $200 for a 99 2500 Silverado doomed to the same fate. So for $400 I had a decent looking single cab Silverado and a 4l80e out of a 2500. I’d later sell the v6 4l60 for $150, the seats for $90, and the 2500 (after the vortec heads and 4l80 were pulled) for $200 putting me in the green off the rip. Don’t worry, I fuck that up later.
IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

I found a 4.8 and 4l60e combo off Facebook marketplace I picked up for $800. It was for convenience sake but it wasn’t even that convenient. Dude was super sketch and I was just ready to get the hell out of there from the moment we pulled up. Guy tells me he guarantees it to run. And it probably would have but while throwing the SS2 cam in I noticed the loves on the stock cam had some issues so it cost me a set of lifters and head gaskets.
IMG_6077.jpg

So full disclosure I could have wrapped this thing up quicker if I could keep focus on one thing at a time but I can’t. I found an 05 Escalade to pull the interior out of and did that before I slammed the engine in but I did get around to that.
IMG_6430.jpg

I found out that while putting the engine in that I needed engine mounts from a 99-03. For some reason gm decided to change the drivers side mount in 04 and of course the first set I grabbed from the pull a part was from an 04+ so I had to spend another half a day switching them out.

I chose to run Holley terminator x max for ease of use and to get it up and running quicker. I tried to save the v6 pcm and wiring harness to use my factory gauges and have. It does a couple things but not everything I need it to so I’ll be integrating an ls harness and pcm from an 05 Denali. There’s still a ton of unanswered questions surrounding this so im still unsure of how well it will all work. I have a current performance crank signal splitter and it works to get power to the gauges and fuel pump but not much else.

Imma leave it here for tonight.

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
So I order Holley and everything is as simple as people claim it is. Hook everything up, go through the startup wizard and fire it off. Runs like shit. But runs none the less. I can’t for the life of me understand why but I’m also not spending a ton of time figuring it out. I walk away for a few days and end up running a vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the ecu map sensor and it runs great. I had the wrong map sensor go figure and from the startup wizard I couldn’t calibrate it so the easiest thing was to just run the vacuum hose.

From this point I decide I just drive the truck around. Put a couple hundred miles on a game boy tune. End up taking it out to my grandparents and when I leave I’m about 100 yards down the driveway when I notice I don’t have any trans. It’s in drive and give it a little gas. Nothing. So I coast into dads driveway to find a trans hose has came loose and painted a stripe from my grandparents to my dads house down the road and in my dads drive with a couple gallons of trans fluid.
IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

It started with a hose pop off and then ended up leaking from under every hose clamp the next morning. Get a ride up to the auto parts store and 2 gallons of trans fluid liter it’s driving again. That was back in October and the grass is still dead and the gravel drive is still stained. So that’s pretty neat.

So at this point goal is just to get it running and piece the turbo together as I go. Viren did a sale on t51r modded 7875s for like $375 to the house and I jumped on it. Just been buying one big piece per month like intercooler one month, injectors the next, so on. Realistically by mid spring I should have everything to turbo. I burned the stock fuel pump up this month so the walbro 450 was out in a little quicker than I thought I would. And while I’m buying all this I’m also buying interior parts because I can’t focus on one thing at a time. I ended up buy new carpet from stock interiors. It seems to be a good product for the money made here locally in alabama.
IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7263.jpg

I’ve got the Escalade steering wheel I still need to put in along with the door panels and finish wiring the power seats. I’m at the point where the truck is almost dependably drivable so I turned focus into it not smelling or feeling like a 21 year old farm truck inside anymore.
Also I convinced Kyle to sell me his old rims and wore out tires to replace the old stockers on mine.
IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

The only other thing I’ve done to the exterior was replace the dented bumper and broke grille and new headlights. Aside from dropping it I’m not really worried about the exterior past this point for now.
IMG_6998.jpg

I’m focusing on sorting the stock ls wiring harness to integrate with Holley for the sake of factory gauges working and having functional a/c for next summer. It’s too damn hot down here to not have a/c.

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
So after I install the walbro 450 I drive around for half a day and everything works great. My base fuel pressure went from 43psi to 60psi. I made the adjustments in Holley and it was doing deftest. The next day I go crank the truck and let it idle in the driveway for 15 minutes or so and jump in to head out. Drop it into drive and it dies. Crank it up again and same thing. It idles and then dies in gear. So I pop the hood while it’s idling and my fuel pressure at the regulator is reading 0. The fuel pump is coming on and it’s got a full tank of fuel. I throw another fuel filter on since it has 270k miles on it and get a nice fuel leak as a result and still 0 pressure. So I do what I don’t want and pull the pump again. Turns out the hose from the pump to the top of the basket popped off. Easy fix. Now to address the fuel leak at the filter, turns out if you ignore it, it doesn’t go away so I pull the fuel line out of the filter and the o ring is wore out. A trip to the auto parts store and $1.08 later it doesn’t leak anymore. Running like a champ again for now anyways.

image-2022-01-03-10:58:13-846.jpg

image-2022-01-03-10:58:40-143.jpg

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
For those of you who care….

Most are aware at this point but Matt realease his own cam “The Best Cam” and I was one of the first to put an order in on it. It came in in a couple weeks and I got it slammed in a couple weeks ago. Going down that far in duration has helped the bottom end a lot since I’m still running the stock converter. I have an 80e in the garage I’ll be putting in later this spring so why buy 2 converters? Power up top feels comparable to what the sloppy stage 2 made. I’m at 27 degrees up top on 93 pump gas. Factory compression on the 4.8 is around 9.9:1 i believe. I can probably throw a couple more degrees in it up top but it’s running and driving well as is.

As for the interior, I still have to pull the Escalade dash pad back out to change the radio bucket to the 03-06 so I can use a double din radio. Headliner was finished. Just need to put visors back in.
IMG_7433.jpg

I need to pull the seats, console, and carpet back out to run the wires for power seats as well as the wiring for amp and subs for when I cross that bridge later down the road. I also found some gm shale color spray paint to match the Escalade interior to paint some of the plastic pieces I couldn’t find in that color like the rear cab interior trim and passenger airbag cover. I went ahead and replaced the rear speakers since the covers were off with some skar 4x6 and I have not heard them yet but as far as build goes they look to be pretty good quality for. The money. Under $45 I believe.

Also managed to find a couple more pieces for the turbo kit. Forced induction has a sell on hot side crossovers I couldn’t turn down and I bought a harbor freight boost gauge for under $14 so we’ll see how that shakes out. All I lack at this point is the intercooler piping, injectors, wastegate, and oil feed/drain lines. Still working on getting the motivation to sort the ls harness I have to get gauges and ac to work correctly. There’s just so much going on at one time and work is getting more hectic by the day. I’d like to have it turbo by June 1 but we’ll have to see if I can get anything done once work really kicks off.

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7420.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
Painted the engine bay with power steering fluid today.

I took the truck out to cruise today to get some data logging done and make sure everything was happy. It seems like when I go data log it’s just me beating the shit out of 1st gear so it was nice to just cruise the truck for an hour or so and drive it like a normal human. Everything did great. Coolant temp stayed under 170, all the gears in the trans worked, truck rode relatively well. On my way home I swing by my buds house and take his dad for a quick trip and proceeded to beat the piss out of it for the next 5 minutes. Pull back in to his neighborhood and can hear the power steering pump screaming at me. Turns out one of the tube nuts on the feed line had backed out after the past few months of driving enough to spray half of my power steering fluid out. Simple easy fix but it seems like with every good thing that happens, something wrong is waiting around the corner.

AlabamalaSS

Oct 4, 2021
Alabama
Real Name
Tyler Duck
Well I finally decided to take the plunge. I had a few hours before the Mardi Gras ball my wife drug me to to kill. I have 90% of the parts for the turbo so I started mocking things up and it just took off from there. I took the manifold off and threw the log on. While I was there threw the turbo on. Then thought to myself I can go ahead and mount the intercooler. Then hell while I’m here I can figure out the intercooler piping.
IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7855.jpg

IMG_7856.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

IMG_7868.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg

I used a bulkhead time fitting for oil return into the pan so I didn’t have to worry about screwing up the tap. It worked pretty well. Go the whole tight enough to screw the fitting in plus it has the Teflon washers on both sides.

I was trying to figure out where to run the oil drain. Kind of got hung up on that for a few hours. I want to put a/c back in the truck so timing cover wasn’t an easy option. I thought for sure I’d use the front of the pan like Matt did on Jamie’s red truck but I wasn’t happy with how close the 5/8 hose was to the balancer so I opted to go behind the compressor and in front of the engine mount. The only pain in the ass was having to pull the pan out of the truck.

I finished putting the pan back in the truck yesterday after work that was the goal for the afternoon and anything past that would be great. Allergies were killing me so getting anything done was kicking my ass all day. I go to torque all the oil pan bolts like a fucking idiot I guess and the last bolt fucked me. 18ftlb.

IMG_7873.jpg

I must have burned all of my good luck on the first half of the build. I’m still going to finish putting everything back together and fire it off. If it pours oil I’ll go ahead and pull the engine and fix my fuckup. I have plans to pull the engine/trans soon anyways to clean and paint the engine bay and throw the 4l80 in. Was just hoping to get the turbo stuff sorted before I did all of that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info