7th Gen Camaro Cancelled

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
As someone who was a huge GM nutswinger and owner of an early 5th gen, you couldn't get me to buy a 6th gen SS over a 392 Challenger at this point.

GM hit the target on performance then fucked it up by using the same stale styling and accentuating the terrible ergonomics of the 5th gen. The car was no livable everyday. Add in zero marketing and I'm not surprised at all. GM caught lightning in a bottle by placing the 5th gen in Transformers and figured they didn't have to market the car ever again.

It's sad but I couldn't care less to see the Camaro go away again.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Out of the 3 pony cars, the Camaro is the least usable for everyday driving. That must be the reason.

IF it ever comes back, we will be lucky if it isn’t a camaro branded CUV. And I fully expect if it were to come back it to have electric power in one form or another.

This will be the end of GM front engine rear drive performance cars.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I know how its going to come back.

chevrolet-ecopo-camaro-concept_100676767_l.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I would think a GT branded vette would be a lot more expensive than a Camaro would be.

It would also move up market to justify the cost. It's not like the 6th gens were cheap. I also think GM realized the Camaro stigma can't be out performed. They made Camaro's that would dick punch Porsche's aroung a track but most track snobs wouldn't buy it based solely on the fact that it was a Camaro.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It would also move up market to justify the cost. It's not like the 6th gens were cheap. I also think GM realized the Camaro stigma can't be out performed. They made Camaro's that would dick punch Porsche's aroung a track but most track snobs wouldn't buy it based solely on the fact that it was a Camaro.

But like Bru mentioned, they probably made the 6th gen cheaper too late to save sales and make money. A guy in the market to buy at a pony car price point isn't going to jump tens of thousands of dollars more to buy a GT vette.

It would be surprising to see a lineup of trucks/SUV and just an expensive halo performance car. I think they would be working on making a mid level performance car that would sell well and make them profits. But maybe not?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
A Mustang GT base is just over $35K sticker. The current base stingray is $56k. I am sure the new c8 will increase that cost. So you are talking a 56% price increase as pricing sits now. No one budgeted for a $35K(ish) car is going to decide to spend 50%, or more, to jump into a vette. No matter how much better the C8 GT might be.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
As someone who was a huge GM nutswinger and owner of an early 5th gen, you couldn't get me to buy a 6th gen SS over a 392 Challenger at this point.

GM hit the target on performance then fucked it up by using the same stale styling and accentuating the terrible ergonomics of the 5th gen. The car was no livable everyday. Add in zero marketing and I'm not surprised at all. GM caught lightning in a bottle by placing the 5th gen in Transformers and figured they didn't have to market the car ever again.

It's sad but I couldn't care less to see the Camaro go away again.

Being an F-Body lover and former owner, to be honest, I was never even really a fan of the 5th gens and only slightly warmed up to the 6th gens. The performance numbers/capability from the Z28 and ZL1 would be the only reason I'd get one. I just never liked the retro styling or the cramped interior to be honest.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
This is too bad and only hurts the customers. The way ford pulled their head out of their ass to compete with the 5th gen when it came out in 2010 changed the game. I don't blame people for skipping the 6th gen though. Pre 2019 face-lift I think they looked cool, but they're just so un-useable day to day. With the seats down, I can fit my road bike with the wheels on in my 4th gen, in the 6th gen, the trunk opening is so tiny you can barely fit luggage in it. Shit like that really matters to most folks that don't care that the camaro can out handle anything in its price range. There are people buying these as their only car so if they can't be used they they won't get sold.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
But the same can be said about the Mustang...

I believe I read years ago that the small trunk openings are due to a law stating that tail lights have to be visible with the trunk. And that it is more costly to add a second set of lights on the underside of the trunk lid than just leaving them on the rear body panel. Which is a shame as they have good sized trunks that you just can't put large things in due to the opening.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This is too bad and only hurts the customers. The way ford pulled their head out of their ass to compete with the 5th gen when it came out in 2010 changed the game.

Yep...let's not forget how AWFUL the '05-'10 mustangs were because they didn't have any real competition. Like it or not, losing the camaro is not good for anyone, not even people that hate the car

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Even as a Ford guy, I never cared for the 05-10 styling. I only barely started liking the 11-14 tweaks, but not enough to buy one. I thought that body style looked dated after only being out for a few years. I can look at the 03/04 Cobra's and still think they look good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info