Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Laughs in The Beast The Beast

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I mean developing a new chassis for a small volume car when 90 percent of people couldn't tell the performance difference in handling between a 2003 350z and a current day camry? If farah and others says it still handles well then its good enough for my peasant self.
The fact that the challenger's dated chassis is very evident in its performance numbers, means this one probably will be too

Bet it gets steamrolled by its competition (namely the supra)

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I mean developing a new chassis for a small volume car when 90 percent of people couldn't tell the performance difference in handling between a 2003 350z and a current day camry? If farah and others says it still handles well then its good enough for my peasant self.
The engineer said it was like 13% more lateral grip. Tire technology from 2003 & 2021 alone could account for most of the performance gain. As well as electronic aids in chassis and suspension control.

What could a newly designed, ground up, chassis improve upon over the updated old chassis? Maybe not a lot. But I am going to guess that wouldn't be the case. Look at the 5th & 6th Gen Camaro. There is no doubt the newer Alpha platform helped the car out in numerous ways. Ya, the Z is a low-volume car that we should be thankful they even updated to continue selling. I'm sure this is a great car. I like the idea and look of the car. It has a stout motor, a double-wishbone front suspension, an updated rear diff, and a lot more going for it. And bravo for giving it a manual trans.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Hiding under the 2023 Z’s sheetmetal is a big question mark. Controversially, the chassis carryovers from ye olde 370Z. Nissan didn’t just sit on its hands when developing the new Z’s underpinnings and structure, though, and we got a first-hand look at everything that’s new under the shiny bodywork. Added parts and material enhancements within the structure mean that it has 10.8% greater torsional stiffness and 23.9% more body rigidity than the 370Z. The double-wishbone front suspension is treated to an increased positive caster angle (Nissan says it improves straight line stability and steering feel), and the rear suspension was also tweaked. New passive monotube dampers replace the old twin tube dampers, in theory allowing for a more supple ride while maintaining handling capability. Plus, wider front wheels and tires provide more grip — Nissan claims 13% better performance on a skidpad.

I mean I think the supra with the ZF 9 speed has already shown its slightly faster than the Z in a straight line in that Hagerty video. Supra is 2 tenths faster, but who really cares at that point? I think as long as they are in the ballpark it will be fine. Z people will buy this car up on nostalgia alone. There are a lot more people that have already owned a Z previously who will want another vs the Supra.

Reactions: radioguy6

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
at least Nissan developed their own chassis, unlike Dodge using a 1990's Mercedes E-class one lol.

There was no way Nissan in their current state was going to develop an entirely new chassis for this. We are lucky to even see a new Z, even if its a 370z with an engine swap. The Nissan FM platform is as old as the VQ35DE, also still used today. My old 1st gen G35 handled well, it had nearly 50:50 weight distribution at 3,500lbs. The Q50 RS400 I had for a while was 2 gens newer, built on the same platform, with 1k added weight it was a pig. Much faster straight line, but there were days I missed the tighter handling of my G35. I kinda get the nostalgia feel with this new Z, I personally am excited for lighter weight and manual option with the VR30DDTT. I think these will sell well.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The engineer said it was like 13% more lateral grip. Tire technology from 2003 & 2021 alone could account for most of the performance gain. As well as electronic aids in chassis and suspension control.

What could a newly designed, ground up, chassis improve upon over the updated old chassis? Maybe not a lot. But I am going to guess that wouldn't be the case. Look at the 5th & 6th Gen Camaro. There is no doubt the newer Alpha platform helped the car out in numerous ways. Ya, the Z is a low-volume car that we should be thankful they even updated to continue selling. I'm sure this is a great car. I like the idea and look of the car. It has a stout motor, a double-wishbone front suspension, an updated rear diff, and a lot more going for it. And bravo for giving it a manual trans.
The tire tech isn't from 2003 though. They've updated that over the years. The 370z is in the low .9's on the skid pad, so a 13% increase should put it close to a lot of the cars we are talking about above on true street tires (not Pilot Cups).

Reactions: Rent Free

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The tire tech isn't from 2003 though. They've updated that over the years. The 370z is in the low .9's on the skid pad, so a 13% increase should put it close to a lot of the cars we are talking about above on true street tires (not Pilot Cups).
Ya, I meant (to say) the new car has a 13% increase over the 370Z. And that the 2003 to 2023 tire tech alone could account for the same kind of performance increase. My bad.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Ya, I meant (to say) the new car has a 13% increase over the 370Z. And that the 2003 to 2023 tire tech alone could account for the same kind of performance increase. My bad.
I’m guessing they’re using the recent 370z as a benchmark, which used fairly modern summer tires dating back only a few years.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO

This. If it looks completely different and handles good who cares. I even would have been cool with a carry over of the 3.7 for a base model for $5-7k less than the base turbo model.

Reactions: Intel

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
jason05gt jason05gt
No, he mentioned a 2003 350Z vs 2023 Z. So 2003 tires to 2023 tires.

The 2003 350Z to 2020 370Z got updated tires over the years. So that surely improved grip. We know the 350Z wasn't as quick around the track as the 370Z. Then the 2020 370Z to 2023 Z has an additional 13% grip. So I am sure there is a substantial difference between the 2003 350Z and the 2023 Z.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The Nissan Z configurator is up:

1660154241414.png

If you click any of the models above the base it pushes you to some shitty financing you have to opt out of.
1660154470321.png

Gee, only $90 for some basic USB cables. What a bargain!
1660154705736.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And the under glow lighting? In most states it is illegal to have that illuminated while on a public road. So unless it only works while in Park, I'm surprised they offer it.

Guy on the next block down has blue under glow lighting on his (obnoxiously loud) harley. Cops have pulled him over three times (yielding a warning and two tickets) so far for having it on while riding. Having blue or red is especially bad since those colors are typically reserved for law enforcement or EMS.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
And the under glow lighting? In most states it is illegal to have that illuminated while on a public road. So unless it only works while in Park, I'm surprised they offer it.

Guy on the next block down has blue under glow lighting on his (obnoxiously loud) harley. Cops have pulled him over three times (yielding a warning and two tickets) so far for having it on while riding. Having blue or red is especially bad since those colors are typically reserved for law enforcement or EMS.
I dont think underglow is illegal unless its blue or red.

while on roads and moving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info