Years. I've had this. Lmao

Screenshot_20220831-131644_Contacts.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: GLADIATOR

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Showed wife a few of the boats posted here and got the, "I hear boat maintenance is really expensive..." ugh.

It is what you make of it.
If you want a go fast buy one with a good drivetrain built by reputable marine engine builders.
I just did regular annual/20 hour oil changes on my 271 and changed the drive oil once in the 3 years I owned it.
It had an NA 525 EFI based Tyler Crockett 540 that made just short of 700 and was dead nuts reliable.
It would run 82-83 above 75 it was incredibly stable, but they're heavier boats.

I looked hard at Nordic's before buying the 271 but in the end Formula build quality and the right boat at the right time got me into the 271.
Nordic Rage's are the 25' version, they have a small cockpit - would it be just you and wifey or kids coming too?
If just you guys and you want a poon palace down below then a Rage might be ok.
If you're bringing the family or friends that cockpit will get small. But any go fast will get small with more than 4 people in the cockpit.

Were I spending Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo money I'd be looking hard for a cabin cruiser with bigger power.
Cobalt made some 33-35's with twin 525 EFI's in them, one of those would be the shit. Or a 330/350SS Formula.
I have a friend with a 400SS down at LOTO that has a pair of 525 EFI's in it, it'll run 60-65 with 10 people on it smashing beers.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
If you want a go fast buy one with a good drivetrain built by reputable marine engine builders.
I just did regular annual/20 hour oil changes on my 271 and changed the drive oil once in the 3 years I owned it.
It had an NA 525 EFI based Tyler Crockett 540 that made just short of 700 and was dead nuts reliable.
It would run 82-83 above 75 it was incredibly stable, but they're heavier boats.

I looked hard at Nordic's before buying the 271 but in the end Formula build quality and the right boat at the right time got me into the 271.
Nordic Rage's are the 25' version, they have a small cockpit - would it be just you and wifey or kids coming too?
If you're bringing the family or friends that cockpit will get small. But any go fast will get small with more than 4 people in the cockpit.

Were I spending Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo money I'd be looking hard for a cabin cruiser with bigger power.
Cobalt made some 33-35's with twin 525 EFI's in them, one of those would be the shit. Or a 330/350SS Formula.
I have a friend with a 400SS down at LOTO that has a pair of 525 EFI's in it, it'll run 60-65 with 10 people on it smashing beers.
Super helpful. So if you were to run a boat on the chain/river you’d pick something that big?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Your going to keep this in the water or dry dock and have someone put it in the water for you, get whatever size boat you feel comfortable in, your putting it in and out every time it’s sort of a pain in the ass to put a big closed bow boat in by yourself, it’s definitely doable i do it pretty much every time I take the boat out, it just takes more time climb in climb out climb back in dock walk back park walk back to the dock finally ready to boat lol

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Super helpful. So if you were to run a boat on the chain/river you’d pick something that big?
If I were going to do that I'd buy a tritoon with a 350 on the back.
But you want the big block sound and the ability to haul ass but bring some people, that's why I say more of a cabin cruiser vs. go fast, cabin size and capacity.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
But you want the big block sound and the ability to haul ass but bring some people, that's why I say more of a cabin cruiser vs. go fast, cabin size and capacity.
I like to ‘toons, but having a cabin to put a kiddo down for a nap is also appealing.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
If you are only going to go out a handful of times a year then consider renting boats for 4 hour intervals. It’s also a great way to check out different bodies of water and to determine if your crew is really a boating family (something you want to commit too).

Get the right sized boat for the body of water that you are going on to be spending the most time on.

If you buy, do the maintenance yourself or find a good boat mechanic that does side jobs, especially for big projects.

Renting a pier slip can be one of your biggest annual cost so ensure the body of water is where you want to be for the summer.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I have owned four boats and a couple waverunners in my life. Been boating since 1980, as my father / brother had boats and waverunners too.

Now I rent boats / waverunners as we go out approx 4 - 5 times a year as we are busy on the weekends.

It’s also nice to grab the keys, go enjoy the water 4 hrs at a time on different lakes, then hand the keys back.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

bingo.

400ss with twin 525s is lotto dreams.

chaparral made a few 275/276's with single 525s back in the day too...

i really think if Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo needs to buy something, a 200hp tritoon pooontooner would do 90% of what he wants to do super well.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

not as a noob on the chain though, he'll need to stockpile outdrives and props.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Tritoon for the chain. The amount of times you actually go fast or have the ability to go fast aren’t that many.

I think go fast boats are ton of fun, but somewhere you can really run it for a while hot doggin’. Big river, big water.

Most of your time is going to be spent at anchor or at a dock. Having seating for a good group of people plus a couple coolers, plus all the shit you’re dragging around it’s tough to beat a toon unless you need to handle big water and then a cabin cruiser is the ticket.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info