2020 Ford Super Duty

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
That looks like a fairly flat torque curve. You're staying over 400 torques from 1000 RPM through 5000 RPM. It was never going to be knocking on diesels torque numbers (at least modern diesels).

I'd say that's pretty damn huge. 400 torque basically off idle and flat as fuck. No replacement for displacement bitches. bUt We nEeD a V6 tWiN TuRbO tO MaKe tHaT KiNd oF PoWeR iN A gAsSeR StUpId v8 GaSgUzZlEr

Power numbers are a bit of a let down. I thought they definitely would have gone for 500ft/lb torque just to say they can and did in a mass produced gas truck motor.

Will still buy Tremor or the inevitable 7.3 Raptor. :io:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
you're only looking at such a small part of the equation though.

need to take gearing into account, both rear end (of course) and the trans.

I can't "like" things today...but THIS

That transmission is going to do wonders for towing and keeping the engine in its peak torque. I know TFLTRUCK has been hit and miss on the 10 speed, but hopefully Ford works out the kinks for the towing programming with this engine.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Here's something interesting.

This engine is designed to run at stoich 100% of the time.

So, the ricer in me is saying that a tune with some power enrichment added will greatly wake this thing up.

its probably held back a lot to help meet emissions standards, and total lineup mpg average(is that still a thing?) plus this way, if GM, or RAM bump up the numbers, so can ford, later on.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'd say that's pretty damn huge. 400 torque basically off idle and flat as fuck. No replacement for displacement bitches. bUt We nEeD a V6 tWiN TuRbO tO MaKe tHaT KiNd oF PoWeR iN A gAsSeR StUpId v8 GaSgUzZlEr

Power numbers are a bit of a let down. I thought they definitely would have gone for 500ft/lb torque just to say they can and did in a mass produced truck motor.

Will still buy Tremor or the inevitable 7.3 Raptor. :io:

I wouldn't be surprised if they held the torque rating back a bit, to not make the EcoBoost's look "bad"

But in the below quote, it's "dyno certified" at 350/468...what??? If that was a chassis dyno, and the HP lost about 20% through drivetrain, the "actual" torque could be north of 550...

The 7.3-liter V-8 makes 430 horsepower at 5,000 RPM and 475 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM. In chassis cab applications, where the 7.3-liter is offered dyno-certified, those figures are measured at 350 horsepower and 468 pound-feet.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29228...-to-offer-best-in-class-horsepower-and-torque

Edit: NVM, read it wrong

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wouldn't be surprised if they held the torque rating back a bit, to not make the EcoBoost's look "bad"

But in the below quote, it's "dyno certified" at 350/468...what??? If that was a chassis dyno, and the HP lost about 20% through drivetrain, the "actual" torque could be north of 550...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29228...-to-offer-best-in-class-horsepower-and-torque

no you're reading it wrong

chassis cab like cutaway trucks ready for boxes and dump beds and shit.

not a chassis dyno.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i think you had unreasonable expectations for a naturally aspirated truck gasser engine.

It's possible. Pretty much everyone is disappointed though, so at least I'm not alone.

Maybe these will at least have huge gains from tuning like the v10 did.

Ford has a pretty proven track record of releasing the 'latest and greatest' being just slightly ahead of the competitors, letting the competitors release their 'comeback', and then suddenly going "Oh wait, we have more power and torque on the table" after the competitors updated their offerings so they basically just stay on top.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Also, the first comment on that TFLT article says it perfectly.

This is going to be a mass produced work engine as an option of not paying $9000+ for a diesel but still get diesel-esque performance. Power numbers are artificially low for reliability and longevity.

And because they don't want to show people that the 3.5 ecoturd that needs to spin to 5k rpm to produce less power than this makes at idle. So detuned it is. [/bash]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

This is going to be a mass produced work engine as an option of not paying $9000+ for a diesel but still get diesel-esque performance. Power numbers are artificially low for reliability and longevity.

And because they don't want to show people that the 3.5 ecoturd that needs to spin to 5k rpm to produce less power than this makes at idle. So detuned it is. [/bash]

well and the ecoturd couldn't handle foot to the floor landscaper f450's with 18k behind em and 7 jose's in the cab 9 months out of the year, and a plow and 9,000lbs of salt on the ass end the other 3.

that's what this engine is for.

Reactions: BeerOrGasoline

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I feel like this motor would wake up with a blower.

giphy.gif

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

I thought the EcoBeast's made their torque relatively low?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
If you can read this with going cross-eyed, here's an all-in-one dyno chart of all the engines that someone did a couple posts down:

151304d1534253915-2nd-gen-3-5-power-curve-compare.jpg

Yes all of the gassers were on 93.

Most ran 6th gear, the 5.0 I believe was 5th due to tire speed with the rear end ratio. The 3.0 Diesel was 7th.

Only major difference is that some of those were in the cooler months, however the SAE correction should mitigate some of that.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
It looks like the gassers, they had to roll on at 2250 RPM (maybe the trans wouldn't hold the gear if they romped on it?). Looks like about what I expected, at least torque wise. The 2 EcoBoost's make their peak torque fairly early (2750-3000; and if they had run it from 1000 RPM, I think it may have been even sooner) and the 5.0 hits peak around 4500. But the most interesting thing, is where the 3.5 is hitting it's peak, the 5.0 is actually at its lowest point...there's a 110 lb ft difference at 2750, which is not insignificant. The EcoBoost's definitely look more towing friendly on the dyno charts, but as we all know, the gas mileage is what truly lets them down.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info