2019 Silverado is getting a turbo 4

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I think the outrage is similar to the F-150 offering a premium turbo V6 in place of the V8. I think people will be still be pissed, but from the sounds of it, it out performs the outgoing V6 :dunno: And I know there are at least one person on this board with a V6 Silverado, and it's more than capable.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
EPA fuel economy might be okay for the 2.7 turbo 4, but like most turbo cars, fuel economy really drops off when you are into boost on a regular basis. It'll be interesting to see what real world MPG numbers between the turbo 4, and n/a 6, and n/a 8 motors would be in a couple hundred mile test loop.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Somewhat off topic here but still related question: how are turbos holding up these days?

I grew up in a time where you bought turbo timers or sat and idled the engine for a bit in hopes of having the turbo make it to 60-80k or more miles. What advances have we had since then?

you bought turbo timers for aftermarket setups....

it's not like any factory vehicles came with turbo timers...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
this thing is fucking awesome.

OP missed the part about 0-60 in under 7 seconds too.

waaaaaaaaaaaant

bet it tows more than a 2001 1500 v8 silverado or 1994 2500 suburban.

yyyupp.

You're probably on the money with this. It makes ~100p more than a TBI 350 does and about 45-50 ft-lbs more. People seem to think that you need totally crazy power to tow anything any more, we didn't always have the nice shit we do now.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
A 4 banger in a truck seems like it is due for a really hard life, I already feel sorry for the transmission. I wish they would bring back the hybrid. I think a V6 Hybrid would be a lot better of an option vs a turbo 4.

Why do you say that? It makes more power and torque, lower in the rev range, than the outgoing V6, and the V6 was proven to be more than capable :dunno:

If you're trying to tow 6K pounds, consistently, or throwing 1000 pounds in the bed all the time, obviously this isn't the motor to get. But for people that do the random Mendard's/HD/Lowe's trip, but mostly mall crawl, this motor is going to be perfect.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
You're probably on the money with this. It makes ~100p more than a TBI 350 does and about 45-50 ft-lbs more. People seem to think that you need totally crazy power to tow anything any more, we didn't always have the nice shit we do now.

I was reading some forum, I don't remember where, where the guy swore up and down, that his Ford F150 300 I6 could tow anything a new 1/2 ton could tow, and better. :ugh:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I was reading some forum, I don't remember where, where the guy swore up and down, that his Ford F150 300 I6 could tow anything a new 1/2 ton could tow, and better. :ugh:

Yeah, that's just laughable in its own right unless he has a 60-1 cramming air down its gullet and some significant powertrain and suspension mods. I'll say "no" personally. At the same time just because it's better doesn't mean the old way didn't work either. I think the idea that you need to overkill to tow lead to the diesel bros at a level. I mean shit I've towed my 17' camper with a fuckin Volvo and it worked just fine.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info