2019 Silverado is getting a turbo 4

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
1500 to 1500, not sure on the other makers but since I'm in the general's army so I know about the earlier stuff. I would guess at least similar. That said brakes will almost ALWAYS go up as GVWR does. A 3500 in 2017 is a 14" rotor with something like 1.5" thickness. All measurements aren't exact but you get the idea. Short of a W/T how many of these trucks even offer rear drums any more? Rock Auto doesn't even seem to list drums for a 2017, which is pretty much what you'd have gotten in the early 90s.

It's part of a broader trend to put not shitty brakes on a car. Think about this, the best brakes on a 67-72 Chevelle or a G-body (even the Grand Nationals) is a 10" rotor. On my wife's cruze they run 12" rotors. It's not just trucks but a broader trend in vehicles I would suspect.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
pics please

p7BrCXK.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
just being a realist

you spelled pessimist wrong

if it performs, it will sell, with the numbers they are saying it will have, it should perform.

i mean, you guys pulled a wbody to ohio with MUCH less horsepower and torque, a shittier trans with half the speeds, and basically the worst gear ratio for towing.

this thing would run circles around my old truck. all while getting better mpg.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/check-tech-chevy-silverados-new-turbo-four

some neat write ups.

GM wanted high efficiency to go along with that power. So, in addition to focusing on thermal management and reducing friction, engineers created camshafts that operate in low lift, high lift and cylinder cut-off or active fuel management mode that shuts down two cylinders. But there's more. Not only does the camshaft vary the distance the intake valves open, but cam phasers adjust the timing of when the valves open. In short, GM has created what may be the industry's most versatile variable valve system. It's certainly the first in a truck engine.

The intake camshaft, for example, uses electric device on the intake valves to move a pin to change the cam lobes.

When merging on to a highway, the camshaft operates in high lift mode, which opens the intake valves 10.5 millimeters. When cruising on the highway at a steady speed, say 65 mph, the camshaft is in low lift mode and opens the valves 7.6 millimeters. When active fuel management is operating, the camshafts switch into no lift mode and keep the valves on cylinders two and three closed.

"This is a game that's about making sure we've got not only the performance, which you get from the direct injection, turbocharger and high-lift cam profile, but you can operate at much more efficient conditions with no boost and low lift and AFM modes," says Sutter. "It gives you a lot more range in performance and efficiency. You really don't get the efficiency gain with just the turbocharger."

Here's another interesting feature of the 2.7-liter engine: The effective compression ratio changes based on the amount of fuel and air admitted into the cylinders, says Joe Moon, one of GM's top valvetrain engineers. He said there are two ways to measure compression ratio. The geometric compression ratio is the measurement that accounts for the space above the piston and the stroke volume, which is fixed and does not change. The effective compression ratio changes, Moon said, based on the cam phaser position.

What all this means is that the 2.7-liter has been outfitted with technology that expands the range where it delivers power and efficiency.

GM recently let a few reporters test the new engine -- but only for short drives and without a payload in the bed. So, we don't know how the 2.7-liter performs under duress. If it pulls a heavy load but delivers slightly better fuel economy than a V6 or V8, the four-cylinder could be a tough sell. I can't see many Silverado buyers boasting about having a four-cylinder under the hood -- unless it is a real marvel, much like Ford's EcoBoost V6 was when it debuted.

A look inside the Chevy Silverado's techy 4-cylinder engine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info