2018 Tesla Model S Review. The Good, The Bad, and the Real Truth

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Because if the ford was actually covering for the rental, more dealers would be inclined to give them out. Hence giving you the customer better equality in terms of service from dealer to dealer.

That and that’s shitty as hell to not even cover rental on cars that are under base warranty basically brand new as a manufacturer.

I mean ford just got rid of most of their car line so no one is calling them brilliant by any means.

Helps weed out the good dealers from the bad in my opinion. And I'd call them brilliant enough, being the only domestic car manufacturer to not crumble into a tax payer bailout. Could be a good move...time will tell.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Unr533g.gif

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Pretty envious of that dealer experience. Lincoln does a pretty good job with this process but they obviously position themselves as a "higher" experience than basic Ford. I've always gotten a loaner that's the exact same trim or a higher overall vehicle. Lincoln also details the cars after service which is a nice touch, but it's not like a buff and wax job.

What really impressed me in your story is that they fixed the wind noise because they thought it needed to be done without prompting. That you will RARELY see anywhere, period.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Pretty envious of that dealer experience. Lincoln does a pretty good job with this process but they obviously position themselves as a "higher" experience than basic Ford. I've always gotten a loaner that's the exact same trim or a higher overall vehicle. Lincoln also details the cars after service which is a nice touch, but it's not like a buff and wax job.

What really impressed me in your story is that they fixed the wind noise because they thought it needed to be done without prompting. That you will RARELY see anywhere, period.

It’s possible they did that because I was in for service regarding a wind noise issue before as well. Also the Tesla cars seem more prone to these types of complaints, both because of alignment issues and because the car is totally silent. You notice every little noise.

Either way exceptional service

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also I just saw A photo of the Porsche mission E testing....... dear god Tesla has nothing to worry about. The above photo is what the car looks like in real life.... vs the attractive photo below it they released in concept.

Rofl rofl. Hideous.

The actual car

IMG_0545.JPG

What it was supposed to look like.
IMG_0546.JPG

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Also I just saw A photo of the Porsche mission E testing....... dear god Tesla has nothing to worry about. The above photo is what the car looks like in real life.... vs the attractive photo below it they released in concept.

Rofl rofl. Hideous.

The actual car

View attachment 32672

What it was supposed to look like.
View attachment 32673

Good god. I hope that's just a test mule.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

This confuses me. I wonder if it’s an issue with their algorithm because Autopilot famously changed almost two years ago so that radar can see not only the car in front of you but the car in front of that one. And I’ve had it where my car jams on the brakes because the car in front of the car in front of mine is making a quick stop but the car in front of me has yet to see it. There’s a few YouTube videos showing the same thing.

But they are right in that it is a driver aid and you need to be paying attention. There have been enough sensationalized Autopilot stories by now that nobody that has a Tesla should have any confusion over it’s capabilities.

I think maybe some of the confusion is that Tesla is releasing cars with full self driving hardware but has yet to release full self driving software and maybe they’re thinking their vehicles are more advanced than they really are.

My understanding is that even the brand new cars with the 8 cameras are only using the two forward facing cameras, radar and the sonar sensors, essentially making them equivalent to Autopilot V1 cars in terms of capabilities.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Figured I would give a random 22,000 mile update.

So far up to this point car as been pretty flawless. Hasn't been to the service center since my few quick visits in the beginning. However in 22,000 miles I did burn through an entire set of tires. New rubber is getting installed tomorrow. That kinda sucked, because the factory tires are actually really good not some cheap mass production car crap. Going to give a different version of the tire a shot, and be more mindful of my air pressures and rotations. Tesla says to rotate them every 5k..... I was not aware of that, I used the 10-12k rule ive always known and basically my rear tires were close to shot at the first rotation.... grrr.

Second... car is going back to the service center to have my drivers headlight replaced. If you remember my passenger one was done a while back for discoloration of the LED strip.... well the driver side one is doing that now. Kind of annoying. I am going to talk to the service guys while I am there to see if they have corrected this issue with the new parts. This is a very well known problem and normally Tesla is good about fixing it in upcoming parts releases. It does not affect my actual headlights, just the daytime running strip.... but again annoying as hell.

All in all still a great car. These little quirks here and there are annoyances, but the car makes up for it in other ways, that and Tesla service has always been very great to me.

I am eagerly awaiting the update to the car where my Supercharging speed increases from 98kw to 125 ish kw or so. Also full self driving has been confirmed and was demonstrated in a Model 3 video they released. If you haven't seen it go watch it. Car drives itself for quite a long trip. Stops at stop signs, lights, makes turns etc. Driver never touches the wheel or pedals.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So just had my first Tesla Mobile Service Appointment and I have to say once again they have exceeded my expectations.

Backstory my Drivers headlight LED strip started to discolor like my Passenger side did before. Apparently they have a new part number now that fixes the issue so I shouldn't have anymore problems. Also my Drivers mirror glass was vibrating a little causing the image to distort. Bla bla bla basic annoyances.

So I scheduled an appointment with the service center. They are busy so first available was like 2-3 weeks out. No biggie.

A day after I set my appointment up I got a text from Tesla advising me everything I need done can be done by their mobile techs. If I wanted too, they would cancel my service center appointment and have a tech come to my work or home. Fast forward to today 2 techs show up to my work in 2 custom Model S cars fitted to perform mobile service stuff.

The guys were super friendly and actually shot the shit with me for 15 minutes before working on the car. Didnt need the keys because they have special codes etc to drive the cars so I didnt have to fumble around taking off my house keys or feel awkward giving them the whole set. Tesla pre-ordered all of the parts I might need just based off of my complaint in my online submission. Guy opened his trunk and boom everything was already sitting there.

They said as soon as its done they will park it back where I was originally parked lock the car and email me an invoice.

I gotta say badass service and the convenience factor was amazing. Took no time out of my day except for walking to the front of my building to greet them and show them where the car was in the garage. Once again exceeding my expectation with after sales customer service.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
How much is your insurance for this car?

Honestly not much different than a typical full size luxury car. For 2 vehicles with full coverage and 500 dollar deductibles I pay about $155 per month. This is for the Tesla and our Jeep.

Previously there used to be major price swings depending on the company you went with. This has pretty much settled down now that people know more about them and costs.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
There was a post the other day where someone showed a dialogue box on their Model 3 that said the car detected a problem, that parts were ordered and en route to the nearest service center and that a Tesla service advisor would reach out to schedule service. That is fucking madness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info