2018 Tesla Model S Review. The Good, The Bad, and the Real Truth

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
1000 mile update:

I somewhat retract my statement about the wipers moving to quickly. There is an “automatic” wiper feature in the car I did not have enabled. This allows the 3 cameras I have in the windshield to read how much rain is on the window and adjust the speed accordingly. This has mostly solved the quick wiper complaint.

However it’s not a perfect system and during moderate rain today it turned the wipers on full high when it did not need it.

However new annoyance I have found (see photo below)

The rear seat somewhat obstructs the view in the rear glass. Most cars have a smaller or don’t have a rear head rest at all for the center rear seat. However the Tesla has a full headrest and it obstructs your rear view quite a lot actually.

IMG_0368.JPG

So far that’s all for now

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Figured with all the Tesla hate recently on the forum I would update this thread.

Currently sitting at just over 2200 Miles now. So far still loving the car, but 2 days ago I dropped the car off at Tesla for another minor adjustment. It was noticed by my Wife as well as her sister that the passenger front door felt harder to close than most cars. It would take more effort or it would say Ajar on the dash. (More to come it was fixed)

Now another service visit may sound annoying to some or crazy at 2200 miles. However I have to say I enjoy going to the Tesla service center. It is a far better experience than you get at other car manufacturers. When I am pulling up they already know who I am, why I am there from the appt I set up and they take a long time and walk around the car with you to address your issues while also looking for others they may be able to help with.

After about 5-10 minutes talking with the adviser I hand him my key and in exchange he hands me the key to a $115,000 dollar loaner car. I received a fully loaded 100D brand new Tesla with nearly every option purchased on it. Literally he tossed me the key. No paperwork, no insurance because they already have it on file. Just a hand shake and a smile.

Flash forward one day later they shoot me a call saying the car is done. They found the door was slightly out of adjustment causing it to take more effort to close. They also advised on a test drive they felt the cabin wind noise was more than it should be and they corrected that as well even though I did not complain about it. After detailing my car for free I came and picked it up and was in and out in 5 mins. Car is back and flawless.

Again as always I will say these cars are not perfect. Yes I had 2 service visits in 2200 miles, but each time they were under 1 day in the shop and the service was exceptional. They made it a pleasure to actually come in vs something everyone always dreads. This time the service was even better than before, they really take the time to address your needs and go above and beyond.

No regrets. Will continue to purchase Tesla's in the future. When the wifes Trailhawk takes a dump way down the road the next car will be a Model X for her.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Basically. Other car companies would have charged you to look at that and most would never make adjustments like that to please a customer.

Rental for sure would not have been covered..... or it would be the classic line..... “if we find it’s a warranty item you will not be charged otherwise it’s $35 dollars per day” and if you bought a top of the line Chevy, you still would get a dirty Chevy Cruze or Malibu as a rental.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Basically. Other car companies would have charged you to look at that and most would never make adjustments like that to please a customer.

Rental for sure would not have been covered..... or it would be the classic line..... “if we find it’s a warranty item you will not be charged otherwise it’s $35 dollars per day” and if you bought a top of the line Chevy, you still would get a dirty Chevy Cruze or Malibu as a rental.

[MENTION=11347]ragingclue[/MENTION] please verify. :rofl:

My first Raptor I bought from Victor. Radiator cracked and was losing coolant and was covered under warranty. I asked about a rental, he just stared at me.

I think this current truck is sucking coolant and I'm ignoring going to the dealer because I don't want to have to bother my dad or someone else about a ride/borrowing a vehicle.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Good update on the Tesla.

With the dealer thing, I think the issue is dealer by dealer, not by brand. I'll bet that there are Tesla dealer's that offer less than sub par service.

AH Dodge has treated me great and in two years, I've never brought it in for service other than oil changes. During this time, they offered all kinds of soft drinks, popcorn, coffee, tea, the mechanics pointed out issues they found and said they made an update to x y and z, etc. Never charged for anything either.

Example 1 - Last oil change, found out they stripped the drain plug two threads. The plug is about $60 bucks, replaced free of charge.

Example 2 - Turn signal light went out. They replaced it free of charge.

Example 3 - First oil change took longer than expected due to many cars there one day. I brought my own oil, they didn't charge me a penny for labor.

Overall, finding the right dealer is good.

Same applies to Stasek Chevy - Whenever the wife's Volt goes in for something, we ALWAYS have a rental. Sure, it's not a high end Chevy SS or top of the line SUV, but, we don't even have to ask.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My first Raptor I bought from Victor. Radiator cracked and was losing coolant and was covered under warranty. I asked about a rental, he just stared at me.

I think this current truck is sucking coolant and I'm ignoring going to the dealer because I don't want to have to bother my dad or someone else about a ride/borrowing a vehicle.

Ford could give 2 shits about their customers..... or well some dealers could. Ford does not offer rental reimbursement from their dealers, so basically either the dealer eats the cost, or the customer pays for it. Regardless if you have 100 miles on the vehicle and just drove off the lot or not

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Good update on the Tesla.

With the dealer thing, I think the issue is dealer by dealer, not by brand. I'll bet that there are Tesla dealer's that offer less than sub par service.

AH Dodge has treated me great and in two years, I've never brought it in for service other than oil changes. During this time, they offered all kinds of soft drinks, popcorn, coffee, tea, the mechanics pointed out issues they found and said they made an update to x y and z, etc. Never charged for anything either.

Example 1 - Last oil change, found out they stripped the drain plug two threads. The plug is about $60 bucks, replaced free of charge.

Example 2 - Turn signal light went out. They replaced it free of charge.

Example 3 - First oil change took longer than expected due to many cars there one day. I brought my own oil, they didn't charge me a penny for labor.

Overall, finding the right dealer is good.

Same applies to Stasek Chevy - Whenever the wife's Volt goes in for something, we ALWAYS have a rental. Sure, it's not a high end Chevy SS or top of the line SUV, but, we don't even have to ask.

I agree it can vary by dealer, but if you search around or look on Tesla forums, they have always been highly praised for their service centers. Where the company may lack on the front end, service really makes up for it.

Which is odd because usually sales butters you up and then you get all the lack luster customer service when it comes to vehicle maintenance.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Ford could give 2 shits about their customers..... or well some dealers could. Ford does not offer rental reimbursement from their dealers, so basically either the dealer eats the cost, or the customer pays for it. Regardless if you have 100 miles on the vehicle and just drove off the lot or not

Arlington Heights Ford gives loaners. No rental BS, they hand you keys to a dealer demo. They've always done that (since at least early 2000's since I started going there)...even if the car isn't under warranty.

I've literally had the exact same experience there that you just described. Know my name, hand keys to a loaner without any paperwork, etc.

I did bring my old man's Vette to Stasek Chevy for a tire that had a bulging sidewall and they told me to screw off even though the car was under warranty. Went to Grossinger Chevy and had the exact experience you just described. They looked at the tire, said yep...we'll cover that no problem, offered me a loaner, but I declined and said I didn't need it and my wife would pick me up...which they said nonsense, we'll have someone drive you home...which they did...to Mt Prospect from Palatine.

I think dealers are just hit or miss and a lot of it depends on your own behavior.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Arlington Heights Ford gives loaners. No rental BS, they hand you keys to a dealer demo. They've always done that (since at least early 2000's since I started going there)...even if the car isn't under warranty.

I've literally had the exact same experience there that you just described. Know my name, hand keys to a loaner without any paperwork, etc.

I did bring my old man's Vette to Stasek Chevy for a tire that had a bulging sidewall and they told me to screw off even though the car was under warranty. Went to Grossinger Chevy and had the exact experience you just described. They looked at the tire, said yep...we'll cover that no problem, offered me a loaner, but I declined and said I didn't need it and my wife would pick me up...which they said nonsense, we'll have someone drive you home...which they did...to Mt Prospect from Palatine.

I think dealers are just hit or miss and a lot of it depends on your own behavior.

But like I said Ford at corporate does not reimburse the dealer for rentals even under warranty. The dealer has to eat that cost.

GM under warranty does reimburse the dealers for rental cars

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

That's not 100% accurate. Pretty much any luxury brand would give you a free loaner (maybe not a top of the line vehicle) and fix the car for free should it be under warranty.

It does seem like Tesla went above and beyond for you!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Who cares who pays as long as it isn't the consumer?

Because if the ford was actually covering for the rental, more dealers would be inclined to give them out. Hence giving you the customer better equality in terms of service from dealer to dealer.

That and that’s shitty as hell to not even cover rental on cars that are under base warranty basically brand new as a manufacturer.

I mean ford just got rid of most of their car line so no one is calling them brilliant by any means.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Every other car I have owned or been in with built in navigation is a joke at best. It is an option you would purchase for that 1 time you actually used it, and after that it was just a bragging item you would use in conversations. (my car has navigation! Its on a 6 inch screen.... and you can't zoom out quickly with your fingers.... and it routes you to weird places.... and you cant update it easily.... but I love it! LOL)

Actually, we're probably in the minority... We use our OEM navigation systems in our vans all the time. The Wife was pissed when hers shit the bed in the new van and I use mine 20 - 30 times a day for the second job, in the old van. It's actually quite easy to use and I use the steering wheel controls to select and zoom in/out constantly. My only gripes with it, being an early model with in-dash navigation, the screen is small, and miniature compared to yours, but it works great. The other gripe, when inputting an address, if you're moving faster than it can scan the disk, it starts you out back at the begging step of whatever you're looking up (be it town or street). But that could simply be that the disc is old and scratched as it's the OEM disc.

Just sayin' there are those of us who do use them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info