2017 Ford Super Duty - BUILD & PRICE

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Werd. But like, Ram & GM don't have a "4500" that's not a chassis cab so fuck it, close enough

2016 Ram 3500 max tow is like 31,200 so they're playing in the same field.

but like legally, you and i like, can't drive a f450 or 4500 truck with just a "normal" license...

apples to oranges.

what's the f350 do vs the 3500hd ram & gm.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
illinois bullshit... for f450's you need a class c or b or some shit...

and up here around me they LOVE to enforce it...

Class C in IL is if you are GVWR over 16,000lbs.

So I'm guessing a 4500 truck weight plus max payload is > 16000?

I don't think you need a Class C simply to drive an F450, but you would need one if you were hauling anything even remotely close to its capacity.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
but like legally, you and i like, can't drive a f450 or 4500 truck with just a "normal" license...

apples to oranges.

what's the f350 do vs the 3500hd ram & gm.

illinois bullshit... for f450's you need a class c or b or some shit...

and up here around me they LOVE to enforce it...

Gotta wait for marketing to publish the full charts. Never knew that about the 450's though. Is it a GVWR thing?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
wouldn't an f450 get something higher than a d plate though?

You don't HAVE to legally, but you would need a CV plate if you are commercially hauling for example.

Ex: my 'tow guy' has a diesel 3500 chevy (Jeffs tow guy actually), and he needs CV plates to use his double car hauler due to the weight, but he doesn't need it if he is using a single car hauler.

I think because with a loaded double car hauler, and the weight of the truck he is north of 16,000lbs.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
maybe if it's if it gets plated with cv plates that's the key?

i have two friends that got nabbed driving different unloaded f450's, one cclb dually, and one regular cab chassis dump bed truck, with the "normal" license- (d? or what is it so i can stop saying normal?)

ill have to ask if they remember what plates the trucks had

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
maybe if it's if it gets plated with cv plates that's the key?

i have two friends that got nabbed driving different unloaded f450's, one cclb dually, and one regular cab chassis dump bed truck, with the "normal" license- (d? or what is it so i can stop saying normal?)

ill have to ask if they remember what plates the trucks had

D class is the 'basic' license, which means you can drive anything under 16,000lbs.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x142.pdf

And then you can get various amendments, Ex: I'm DM because I have my motorcycle license also.

I'm not sure how your buddies could get nabbed driving unloaded F450's, when I can rent a F650 26' Uhaul and drive it loaded to the Brim on my D-class? Unless there is something grey-area about them being 'open bed' trucks? I've heard of people doing stupid stuff like not getting B plates on a Pickup and getting in shit for it?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
D class is the 'basic' license, which means you can drive anything under 16,000lbs.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x142.pdf

And then you can get various amendments, Ex: I'm DM because I have my motorcycle license also.

I'm not sure how your buddies could get nabbed driving unloaded F450's, when I can rent a F650 26' Uhaul and drive it loaded to the Brim on my D-class? Unless there is something grey-area about them being 'open bed' trucks? I've heard of people doing stupid stuff like not getting B plates on a Pickup and getting in shit for it?

dunno but now i wanna know :rofl:

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Do you have a friend with a Tow Truck, or triple axle truck?

C class lets you drive 16000-26000 without air brakes IIRC, you can basically just take the test if you can get ahold of a truck to take it in opposed to taking schooling/classes for it.

Yeah I could probably make her let me borrow it for an afternoon.

Send me more details on these schools and written tests though too. I want to read about dis.

A want a lot of letters on my license.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah I could probably make her let me borrow it for an afternoon.

Send me more details on these schools and written tests though too. I want to read about dis.

A want a lot of letters on my license.

I'm familiar with a bunch of this stuff because I had looked into it previously as a 'backup' career path while I was buying and selling lots of cars years past.

Community Colleges offer classes like this, even COD I think has a CDL course.

But I've been told if you just want Class C, the written test is a no brainer if you study for it, and all you really need is a Truck to take the driving test with.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
This is a prime example of BTLD Syndrome :rofl:

This is a guy I know and he bought this truck solely for towing his 5th wheel mobile home trailer. Talk about having money and giving zero fucks on how you spend it. Mind you, the truck cost as much as the house they were living in at the time.

28484_118494241506220_7115783_n.jpg

28484_118494238172887_2583463_n.jpg

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I have my Class A license with Air brakes and double and triple trailers as well as my Passenger license (over 16+ people.) Anytime you get a higher class license, you automatically get the lower classes, I.E. I can legally drive class B and class C truck with my license.

The test is pretty easy. You only need a certain % of the test to pass. So if you don't know the answer to a question, skip it and it goes back to the end of the line in the questions. You might not see that question again if you pass by the % needed. If that makes any sense.

Driving test is kinda bullshit. They make you back up and you have to be within 10 feet or something from a cone. They let you get out once and check your distance.

This part is where most people fail, you have to do a "simulated" right turn from a stop light and cannot hit the curb (cones in most cases.) Most people fail here because you didn't use your turn signal. No one really thinks about it because your in the damn DMV parking lot. Remember the weird "simulate" turn...Bunch of dicks over there. lol

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I have my Class A license with Air brakes and double and triple trailers as well as my Passenger license (over 16+ people.) Anytime you get a higher class license, you automatically get the lower classes, I.E. I can legally drive class B and class C truck with my license.

The test is pretty easy. You only need a certain % of the test to pass. So if you don't know the answer to a question, skip it and it goes back to the end of the line in the questions. You might not see that question again if you pass by the % needed. If that makes any sense.

Driving test is kinda bullshit. They make you back up and you have to be within 10 feet or something from a cone. They let you get out once and check your distance.

This part is where most people fail, you have to do a "simulated" right turn from a stop light and cannot hit the curb (cones in most cases.) Most people fail here because you didn't use your turn signal. No one really thinks about it because your in the damn DMV parking lot. Remember the weird "simulate" turn...Bunch of dicks over there. lol

Teach me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info