2016 Ford GT350 discussion

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
:jg:

the Shelby GT350 is the first Mustang to receive a serious wheel and tire package. It is legit, with the front wheels clocking in at 19Ă—10.5 inches and the rears measuring an astounding 19Ă—11.5 inches. These aluminum wheels are shoed with unique GT350 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires featuring a sidewall, tread, and compound specific to this car.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
This thing sounds like a beast.

Comments22

Ford promises more than 500 horsepower and a torque peak above 400 lb-ft.
The wait is finally over. After months of spy shots, rumor and innuendo, Ford has officially pulled the wraps off its new Shelby GT350. Judging by the spec sheet and the promises being made – especially that the Shelby GT350 will be "an all-day track car that's also street legal" – the wait appears to have been worth it.

First things first: The new Shelby GT350 will launch with a naturally aspirated 5.2-liter V8 engine that uses a flat-plane crankshaft, a first for a production V8 from Ford. (Read more about what makes a flat-plane crankshaft different here). We don't have confirmed information on power levels, other than a promise of "more than 500 horsepower" and "a torque peak above 400" pound-feet. Ford further says the engine will be a "high-revving" V8, though no actual redline is revealed. A six-speed manual gearbox and Torsen limited-slip differential will be standard, while an engine oil cooler and transmission cooler will be available as part of a Track Pack.

Ford has stiffened the GT350's chassis even more than the standard Mustang GT, which is already the stiffest in the company's history, with an injection-molded carbon fiber composite grille opening and optional lightweight tower-to-tower brace. Those bits, coupled with a wider front track and recalibrated spring rates and bushings, plus a lowered ride height, will pay handling dividends. But we're more excited by Ford's first use of MagneRide dampers, which continually adjust to match road conditions and driver demands.
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

"The 5.2-liter produces a distinctive, throaty howl from its four exhaust tips." – Jamal Hameedi
Aluminum wheels – 19-inches in diameter and measuring 10.5 inches wide in front and 11.0 inches at the rear – will be shod in a custom set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and two-piece, cross-drilled rotors with Brembo six-piston calipers in front and four-piston in the rear, round out the rolling stock quite nicely.

Keen-eyed readers will note that all the bodywork ahead of the windshield is completely new for the Shelby GT350, and it's been kept as low and tight around the engine as possible to reduce drag, increase downforce and look ridiculously cool, likely in that order. A lower front splitter scoops air at the front and works with a contoured belly pan and rear lip spoiler to manage airflow, and the widened aluminum front fenders feature vents to remove air from the wheel wells. Also, they look rather mean, which is a good thing.

Recaro front seats and a flat-bottom steering wheel seem appropriate for track-day excursions, as do the deletion of several chrome or bright sunlight-glinting trim pieces inside the cabin. Ford says its driver control system will feature five different modes that adjust anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control, steering effort, throttle mapping, MagneRide tuning and exhaust settings. Oh, and speaking of that exhaust, Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer, Ford Global Performance Vehicles, wants you to know that the GT350's flat-plane V8 is going to sound mean, too.

"Make no mistake, this is an American interpretation of a flat-plane crankshaft V8, and the 5.2-liter produces a distinctive, throaty howl from its four exhaust tips," said Hameedi. Feel free to read that and more in the press release down below, but be sure to check out the image gallery above and the video below first

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Fail. Motor will need to be revved to 8K+ to get that HP number. And 400tq is nothing these days. Im disappointed. It needed a turbo or blower and 700hp. This car better be a little over loaded GT money for the lack of power.

Seriously? I am not sure if you a trolling, but this car and the original GT350 were designed as track cars. The engine is one upgrade of a whole list of things that Ford has done to make this a competent track car. If you want horsepower for a straight line, buy a Coyote and put a blower on it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Seriously? I am not sure if you a trolling, but this car and the original GT350 were designed as track cars. The engine is one upgrade of a whole list of things that Ford has done to make this a competent track car. If you want horsepower for a straight line, buy a Coyote and put a blower on it.

The flat-plane crank sacrifices low-end torque for high revving horsepower. Its a track motor

Yes Im serious and not trolling. Sure its made for the track. Congrats, they are hitting 2% of the market of people that could buy this car and will track the shit out of it. The other 98% want powa, more powa than the hellcat and outgoing shelby for stop light to stop light fun. Dodge hit the market on the head, and Ford is going in the wrong direction. Unless they are still coming with some 750hp GT500 soon... I'd understand this car then, but not now. Its too Z/28 like. And that car is another ultra-small niche car that most of us will never even see on the street. This is like a new-ago cobra R. Pointless on the street as that car was. Especially in this day.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
What's wrong with it being too Z/28 like? It's the GT350, which is a track focused version. It'll still probably be faster than the Hellcat around an actual roadcourse.

You're right. And Im sure only a handful of people will ever test that theory aside from the magazines. Who cares about track performance? Anyone here frequent the road courses???? nope.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I understand where zx is coming from. Not everyone wants a car that is so track focused that it makes a lot of the car unusable on regular roads.

I think cars like these are more for bragging rights though. The manufacturers do it to push their boundaries. Hopefully some of what they learn in these cars will make it into the higher volume cars one day. Like the Z/28, its too expensive and rough to be driven daily, but maybe some of that track tuning will find its way into the cheaper 6th Gen. Same thing with this gt350.

Since I can't buy these cars, watching journalists race these track ready cars and watching people argue about it on forums is entertainment enough for me for them to keep building these kind of cars lol.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I understand where zx is coming from. Not everyone wants a car that is so track focused that it makes a lot of the car unusable on regular roads.

I think cars like these are more for bragging rights though. The manufacturers do it to push their boundaries. Hopefully some of what they learn in these cars will make it into the higher volume cars one day. Like the Z/28, its too expensive and rough to be driven daily, but maybe some of that track tuning will find its way into the cheaper 6th Gen. Same thing with this gt350.

Since I can't buy these cars, watching journalists race these track ready cars and watching people argue about it on forums is entertainment enough for me for them to keep building these kind of cars lol.

Honestly you would think the manufacturers would get the market at this point. If they built a performance car for the masses, it would sell to the masses. But building anything "track" ready, is silly. Dodge gets it. They made their boat haul ass with class leading HP. Thats what we all want. Sure its heavy and pushes hard in turns. So what. I wont notice that push while traveling triple digit speeds down 355 with all forms of mustangs in my tail lights. Then when I pull over to hear the excuses, they will sound like...."wait until we get to the twisties or I would own you on a track". I would then laugh while doing a several hundred foot burnout as I roar away with my seat heaters warming my big ass.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
You're right. And Im sure only a handful of people will ever test that theory aside from the magazines. Who cares about track performance? Anyone here frequent the road courses???? nope.
The people that bought boss 302 and Laguna seca cars probably do. Which is who will buy this. You're not interested, don't buy it. It isn't Ford's, or anyone's job to build a car for you, unless you order it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The BOSS and Z/28 were appalling failures...oh wait they were highly successful so obviously people do care about roadcourse performance.

Sorry I reject your logic. The Z/28 is badass, but VERY expensive and limited production. The Boss was a GT with a different motor, some coolers and 24 more hp. It was also successful because it was cheap. $44k for a regular boss is a great deal considering you can load up a 13/14 GT for more than that. Again, if this new 350 is not loaded GT money as I said before, or isnt corvette weight, then its a fail. Another hyper-limited production car with retarded price tag and nothing else. Basically like the Z/28... I would consider this car as Im considering the charger and the challenger, and also wait for what GM brings. Im more sad than anything. I was rooting for ford to do what they just did, but with 200 more HP. As their typical customer, yes this would be built for me.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Yes Im serious and not trolling. Sure its made for the track. Congrats, they are hitting 2% of the market of people that could buy this car and will track the shit out of it. The other 98% want powa, more powa than the hellcat and outgoing shelby for stop light to stop light fun. Dodge hit the market on the head, and Ford is going in the wrong direction. Unless they are still coming with some 750hp GT500 soon... I'd understand this car then, but not now. Its too Z/28 like. And that car is another ultra-small niche car that most of us will never even see on the street. This is like a new-ago cobra R. Pointless on the street as that car was. Especially in this day.

The same could be said for the % that would take the car to a drag strip. Comparing this car to the previous GT500 and Hellcat is apples to oranges. The Hellcat is all motor and no grace. It’s not an all around performance vehicle like the GT350 which does many things well. You might think Dodge hit the market on the head, but a lot of car manufacturers disagree and buyers of higher end sports cars that want a car that does all things well. Porsche has sold a lot of cars on this philosophy. Drive even a lower end Porsche and the “experience” is still there. Ford is taking the Mustang up market and to attract higher end buyers and Europeans, it needs to be more refined and more than just a straight line brawler. That’s not a bad thing and I welcome it as there is still the aftermarket to make more power and Ford surely has something in the works to succeed the GT500.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
Why? Because Im not gushing over a 500hp mustang? Welcome to 2007. Thanks Ford.

I just think you're missing the point of the vehicle.. It's not a hellcat, it's not made to be a battle axe 1/4 incinerator, it's a corner car and made to go head on with Z's and cars of that caliber. Shit! The flat-plane crank should of said that to you months ago. Im surprised at your reaction

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Sorry I reject your logic. The Z/28 is badass, but VERY expensive and limited production. The Boss was a GT with a different motor, some coolers and 24 more hp. It was also successful because it was cheap. $44k for a regular boss is a great deal considering you can load up a 13/14 GT for more than that. Again, if this new 350 is not loaded GT money as I said before, or isnt corvette weight, then its a fail. Another hyper-limited production car with retarded price tag and nothing else. Basically like the Z/28... I would consider this car as Im considering the charger and the challenger, and also wait for what GM brings. Im more sad than anything. I was rooting for ford to do what they just did, but with 200 more HP. As their typical customer, yes this would be built for me.

So youre just assuming its going to be $60k+, youre basing this theory on exactly no actual known information other than what you think its going to be. Cool story.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info