2014 sho pp

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
.....you realize he linked a 300c srt8 right?

Yes. I was saying that a performance 300 SRT has it's roots in a generic 300 while a performane BMW has it's roots in a BMW. One starts it's life as a competent luxury car with driving dynamics in mind; the other starts life as a no option rental car.

The 300 SRT is better than the 550i in most performance aspects by a nominal margin (4.8 0-60 vs 4.5, 13.3 1/4 mile vs 13.0) and handling/ braking specs on the non-sport package 550 are almost identical to the SRT which would put the sport package car solidly ahead of it. So you get the sport package car and you have a car with better handling, slightly inferior straight line performance that's cheaper and has build quality that the Chrysler couldn't even begin to touch.

And you don't even need to get the BMW. For less than the asking price of that SRT you can get a 3.0T Audi A6 which is an absolutely amazing car and sports a 4.7 0-60 time, just 2/10th of a second slower than the 300 SRT. Not to mention that either car can be made to be faster than the SRT for under 1000 in tuning.

So it's not a matter of a BMW for every man as I'm sure some here think my brain works. It's a matter of spending 47k on a Chrysler that at the end of the day is still a Chrysler and has no better quality than the base model it shares it's roots with which, let's be honest, isn't great.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Audi A6? Ew. The new S6 with TT V8 is more of a muscle sedan than the SRT8. Way too much body roll and understeer but is fast as shit in a straight line.

I was trying to keep used pricepoint somewhat close. :)

im still trying to find where the 550i will out handle the 300c... the first version of the 300c went through a skidpad at .89g... a bit more than the 550i's .86...

2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 First Test - Motor Trend

Here's an article that compares the current SRT 300 and 550i. You can see the SRT beats the 550 nominally in most performance aspects. I'm merely asserting that I'd gladly take a very slight loss in performance to save some money and gain everything else that comes with owning a BMW over a Chrysler. You dig?

Different strokes for different folks but my underlying point is that once your budget starts approaching the 50k mark your options start to open up a lot and there are a lot of nice cars that don't start life off as a Chrysler 300. Not to say that the Chrysler 300 is a bad car, just that I can't fathom paying 50k for one, regardless of power and performance.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm in Elk Grove Village right now.

7.jpg

I'm going to get made fun of and berated for this post and anyone that knows me can probably see where this is going but if you're willing to drop that kind of coin why not go for something that's awesome in other aspects as well as stupidly fast?

2011+ 550i's have 450hp twin turbo V8s that are over 500hp with a tune and instead of having a car that's fast in a straight line and compromises everywhere else you'd have an amazing all around car. You can get them for under 40k certified.

The 300 is a great car but $47,000 puts up against some pretty stiff competition.

I appreciate the opinion. I will look at those as well now. Conrad suggested th 5 series as well to me.

Mike K still has a good point, though. The 5 Series has many other merits in its favor if the OP is looking for $45k car - interior and ride quality, gas mileage. Huge range of certified luxury cars enter the picture at that price. But, who knows, maybe he's looking for a muscle sedan that's raw, fast and loud with convenience options like adaptive cruise control, adjustable suspension firmness, heated steering wheel and more. Plus the 8.4-inch system is better than any luxury car infotainment screen.

Im not really looking at a certain price point. trying to find a four door sedan that looks cool, handles at least as well, and is as fast or hopefully faster in a straight line as my dd Challenger RT is.

I ALMOST am willing to give up my Z06 for an Audi S7, but Im not ready to do that just yet.

Im not in a hurry, and would like to spend 40-50K. My budget allows for more, but Im not really all that willing to spend more than that for a dd vehicle.

The Audis are by far my favorite, BMW not so much unless we are talking the M series. The 300SRT is a very cool looking car to me and I plan to drive the one I linked tomorrow. The Charger styling is horrible to me. The SHO is cool, but overpriced, nose heavy, and has a super confining interior.

I guess the main problem is I dont know what I want. Just trying to get opinions. This is the first vehicle purchase I have ever considered where I really have no clear idea of exactly what I want. :drums:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
nah that'd be way too smart.

nobody wants this
2013-ford-falcon-gt-panth_600x0w.jpg

if anything, Lincoln needs a 5.0 powered rwd sedan. or an anything powered rwd car for that matter. i guess they'd rather continue badge engineering ford cars. because thats helping their sales...

strange to think GM is doing Cadillac right in that aspect... rwd rwd rwd.

and yet... I don't think there is a rwd anything from lincoln currently?

shit chevy is going to have 2 rwd cars before ford does here soon... weird.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
so I rented the taurus's cousin MKS this weekend to drive to St Louis.

Silver 2013... the thing is fucking huge on the outside, I'm pretty sure it is as tall as my pickup truck with similar ground clearance.

Inside-wise though- I feel like the 300 is so much bigger interior wise... I don't know if it is an illusion or what but the MKS feels small as fuck inside. I'm 6'5" and 220 and this car feels tiny compared to what the 300 felt like.

I haven't driven it yet but will report back- I think it is the base engine as well.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That's the biggest complaint with the Taurus people seem to have too. Huge exterior dimensions but the inside feels small and cramped. The Fusion feels like a bigger car inside and I might be wrong here but I believe it has larger actual interior dimensions than the Taurus as well.

The 300 feels much larger inside.....seats are more comfortable, at least for 20 minutes. I'm 6'2" 185, and the sho feels like I have no elbow room. Leg room feels the same in both. The 300 acceleration reflects the extra 100hp. I prefer the 300 styling, although it has a somewhat cheaper feeling interior wise. The srt line gets an 8sp. Trans and a bump in 6.4hp to a rumored 510 from 470 for next year. So for now I'm leaning toward the 300, but thinking wait a few months to find out. I am also interested in driving the SS when it gets out there in a few months as well. The base model Impala styling is awesome to me, I have found myself checking them out when I see them. So I'm still no closer to deciding on what I want to buy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info