• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical 2002 Xterra Leaking Oil Pan

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
A co worker told me she had an Xterra for sale with 130k miles and leaking oil pan. She said it sat a year but when I went to check it out the plates and city sticker were for 2016 and the thick layer of dust told me over a year (garaged). The oil was low so I added some but all other fluids were okay. The battery was 0 volts so my battery charger wouldn't charge or jump it. I had to bring another battery to jump it and it ran a little rough for a minute or so and cleared up and I drove it around the block for about 5 minutes checking everything. When I got back it was leaking oil from pan so when I got home I checked online and it is a common issue with these suv's. I don't know anything about these so just checking if anyone had one or know about this.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Here’s pic of the dust, engine and oil pan…

3DB9E4D0-C064-4065-91FD-3597C090502E.jpeg
FC65EC81-D10C-4C52-940C-6109A7C88694.jpeg
498557A5-E8D8-4255-97B5-568B239CBA62.jpeg

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Thanks after further research it appears these are known for valve cover leaks (bolts loosening or hardened gaskets) and rear main leaks and occasionally an oil pan leak. It’s also said a bad PCV valve will help create a rear main seal leak. I’ll guess I have to check for all lol

Is it the 4 cylinder (KA24DE) or the 6 cylinder VG33. Either way I would suspect a rear main seal a lot more than an oil pan as all of my vg motored cars in my past had that issue.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
It hasn’t been driven by her since the quick oil lube place told her it was leaking. I only drove it once to see if everything else was working. I normally don’t buy locally owned older cars because the salt used here on roads can rust out frame and brake/trans lines underneath. She’s selling for $500 so I took a look. It has sat since cause she can’t find title and SOS where she goes for replacement title has lines around corner.
Yeah that looks like rear main is leaking pretty badly. I don't think I'd try to drive it with that volume of leakage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info