Drag to reposition cover

BUILD 1971 Nova - Work in Progress

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
That blows, especially during what's already been a tough year. Hopefully everything gets better from here on out. Glad to see you're in pretty good spirits and still making progress on the car too!

Chris91LX

Regular
Donating Member
Reaction score
Damn Chris, hope you get past that free and clear bud. My dad is going through the same thing currently.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! We're all here every step of the way.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Hope everything works out in the wash for you, I know it's gotta be tough especially with someone who's as tight on time as you are. Keep going, I'm confident sunnier days are coming.

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
Finally getting back at it, still sanding some areas prepping for paint. I'm also recreating the patches that tie in the drop off pan to the rear of the wheel wells. 2nd pic is the patch I made to close up the charcoal canister holes that lead into the back seat area of the car. Also running around and weld filling any pinholes from previous welded areas.

GOPR0035 (2).JPG

GOPR0036 (2).JPG

GOPR0037 (2).JPG

And if you care made another video log going over most of it.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Spray some clear on it, put it in a museum. Done.

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
Getting close to being done underneath this fucking thing. Made new closeout panels for the wheel tubs to drop off pans, both sides are made and the passenger side is all done and welded up. The first pic here is the driver's side which is all ready to be burned in... more on that below.

IMG_0945.JPG

Here is the passenger side all burned in, it looks like hell at the moment as I didn't metal finish it yet.
IMG_0944.JPG

This is the forward of the wheel tubs, DSE has this in their instructions to tie both wheel tubs together. Not sure why as it's spot welded in a dozen + locations but I said fuck it why not.
IMG_0943.JPG

This was all over the past two weekends, I was soooo close to saying the welding/rust replacement etc was done and the next step would be prepping for paint. The reason the drivers side isn't finished is because my Eastwood welder took a shit.

Not sure what's wrong with it, but it has constant full amperage to the torch. No pulling of the trigger and as soon as you touch grounded metal it basically blows through sheet metal. I took the welder apart looking for something contacting the board or obvious signs of burnout but it looks perfectly fine. I've had this thing 7+ years so the warranty is long gone but I called Eastwood up and they said bring it into their store and they will look at it. So I'll be running to the Alsip location and hopefully get this thing fixed quickly. Depending on what they say I may ditch this welder and buy a better MIG. While this welder has done some real work over the years it's not the best welder. It was one of the better units for the cost at the time I got this thing but there are much better welders out there now for the same price or better. I'll only keep this thing if it's a quick turnaround and relatively low cost to repair it.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Never had an Eastwood welder but my Miller did this. It was a contactor. Easy to get and change out. The car looks good!

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I called up the local Eastwood store and they said bring it in and they will look at it. The contactor was bad along with the electronics board one took out the other I just don't recall which one they said started the damage. It doesn't matter since this was the first generation 175 and they stopped making parts for it back in 2017. I bought this welder so long ago it didn't even show up in their records, I have no idea of the hours on the machine but I do know I've run through 3 10pound spools along with a bunch of 2pd'ers and half a dozen tanks so I think I got my money's worth out of it.

Now I'm debating on what to buy as it's replacement since this is just a 80pd paperweight. Eastwood tried to sell me their new MIG 180 which has all the new bells and whistles but I wanted to do some research first. That and while I do like Eastwood stuff I know the 175 wasn't the best machine but for the price you *almost* can't beat it.

So now I'm looking at the Eastwood 180, the Everlast Cyclone 140E or the Hobart 140.

The eastwood is the only 220v in the mix, I have the setup for it so why not get something in that voltage range? Plus I've needed the extra amperage from time to time, 95% of what I weld I don't need that amperage but it is nice to have the extra oomph when I do. Anything else in the 220v range is well over $1,000.... It is also inverter technology so it's a much lighter unit than the old 175. Plus I know I've got some coupons to make it even cheaper. Probably be around $550 with tax and I can pick it up today and save shipping.

The Everlast is the most appealing, since it's the cheapest of the ones that have caught my eye. The negatives are it's only 110v and there aren't a whole lot of reviews for this model. Their older models have lots of positive reviews but they are also completely different products. $419 (need to buy the correct drive rollers as an add on) that is without tax and shipping.

The hobart is the hands down best of the 3 based on just about anyone who has done reviews. It's a well known brand and you know it's quality. The downside is this is still transformer technology so it weighs 67 pds, it is also 110v and it's over $800 when you include all the tax and shipping

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I called up the local Eastwood store and they said bring it in and they will look at it. The contactor was bad along with the electronics board one took out the other I just don't recall which one they said started the damage. It doesn't matter since this was the first generation 175 and they stopped making parts for it back in 2017. I bought this welder so long ago it didn't even show up in their records, I have no idea of the hours on the machine but I do know I've run through 3 10pound spools along with a bunch of 2pd'ers and half a dozen tanks so I think I got my money's worth out of it.

Now I'm debating on what to buy as it's replacement since this is just a 80pd paperweight. Eastwood tried to sell me their new MIG 180 which has all the new bells and whistles but I wanted to do some research first. That and while I do like Eastwood stuff I know the 175 wasn't the best machine but for the price you *almost* can't beat it.

So now I'm looking at the Eastwood 180, the Everlast Cyclone 140E or the Hobart 140.

The eastwood is the only 220v in the mix, I have the setup for it so why not get something in that voltage range? Plus I've needed the extra amperage from time to time, 95% of what I weld I don't need that amperage but it is nice to have the extra oomph when I do. Anything else in the 220v range is well over $1,000.... It is also inverter technology so it's a much lighter unit than the old 175. Plus I know I've got some coupons to make it even cheaper. Probably be around $550 with tax and I can pick it up today and save shipping.

The Everlast is the most appealing, since it's the cheapest of the ones that have caught my eye. The negatives are it's only 110v and there aren't a whole lot of reviews for this model. Their older models have lots of positive reviews but they are also completely different products. $419 (need to buy the correct drive rollers as an add on) that is without tax and shipping.

The hobart is the hands down best of the 3 based on just about anyone who has done reviews. It's a well known brand and you know it's quality. The downside is this is still transformer technology so it weighs 67 pds, it is also 110v and it's over $800 when you include all the tax and shipping

Not sure if you have looked at this

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I don't use book face so no never saw it. Thanks for posting but I'll pass, not driving out to woodstock lol:ROFLMAO:

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score

You willing to offload it? The boards on these are pretty simple and I could probably play with my soldering iron some if it doesn't have a weird monolithic IC in it.

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
You willing to offload it? The boards on these are pretty simple and I could probably play with my soldering iron some if it doesn't have a weird monolithic IC in it.
Sure but I'm going to keep the torch and grounding cable as spares

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I have the Hobart 140. Got it off Facebook- probably fell off the back of a truck. No issues at all. But I really want to try an everlast.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
The Hobart 140 is really nice. The drive assembly is all metal, the ground clamp is nice, and the torch lead is a little longer than some of the cheaper machines. I have one and am happy with it. It's gotten a lot of use without issue.

I too would probably consider an Everlast inverter machine if I were in the market for a new MIG.

OP
cap42

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
Wouldn't you fucking know it, I ordered the Everlast last night and get an email this morning that they are backordered for at least 8 weeks. This is directly from Everlast..... I can't wait till August to hopefully get a replacement.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you fucking know it, I ordered the Everlast last night and get an email this morning that they are backordered for at least 8 weeks. This is directly from Everlast..... I can't wait till August to hopefully get a replacement.
That sucks and welcome to the club. Been dealing with shit like that since December with multiple companies

Pro Stock John

That LS1Tech guy
Reaction score
Sorry about the health stuff!!!!

I have a friend in Aurora who is doing sheet metal on his '71, I'll share this thread to him in case he wants to come over and become your instant new best friend. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom