01 Grand Prix - Replacing struts - Too much rust?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I know its hard to say without photos, but I am thinking to keep the car at least this winter. The boaty/bouncy ride and obnoxious thuds when hitting bumbs is getting a bit more annoying than it should. Id like to replace the struts and hopefully do it in my drive way. Before I even consider pursuing it I wanted to get some insight on whether I should even bother.

The car has 145K, and has seen at least 6 daily driven Chicago winters. I remember the joke is always that one day the struts will fly through the hood if you hit a bad enough pothole on these cars. Assuming the car isnt a rust bucket (which in my opinion it is not) do I have anything out of the ordinary to worry about or should I just leave them alone? My plan would be to replace only the fronts.

I found a write up here: Grand Prixs Of North America • View topic - Step by Step Strut Removal & Rebuilding W/ Pics and Part #'s. I would use the complete strut assembly, rather than using the spring compressor and piece it together. Here are some cheapie struts off of Amazon: Amazon.com: Monroe 181661 Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly: Automotive

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you can find pre-assembled shocks/springs, that job would only take a matter of minutes. If you have to dissassemble and reassemble, might only take a hour or so with spring compressors. I'd do it, especially if they're 100% blown, it's dangerous to drive a car on blown shocks.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Quick struts are good but you will need to do an alignment when you're done, if you care

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
go to the junkyard not that long ago there was an 09 Impala with a rear end collision those front struts would be cheap and easy plus if you work it right you can walk away with good used oe wheel bearings knuckles etc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom