01 Grand Prix - Replacing struts - Too much rust?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I know its hard to say without photos, but I am thinking to keep the car at least this winter. The boaty/bouncy ride and obnoxious thuds when hitting bumbs is getting a bit more annoying than it should. Id like to replace the struts and hopefully do it in my drive way. Before I even consider pursuing it I wanted to get some insight on whether I should even bother.

The car has 145K, and has seen at least 6 daily driven Chicago winters. I remember the joke is always that one day the struts will fly through the hood if you hit a bad enough pothole on these cars. Assuming the car isnt a rust bucket (which in my opinion it is not) do I have anything out of the ordinary to worry about or should I just leave them alone? My plan would be to replace only the fronts.

I found a write up here: Grand Prixs Of North America • View topic - Step by Step Strut Removal & Rebuilding W/ Pics and Part #'s. I would use the complete strut assembly, rather than using the spring compressor and piece it together. Here are some cheapie struts off of Amazon: Amazon.com: Monroe 181661 Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly: Automotive

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If you can find pre-assembled shocks/springs, that job would only take a matter of minutes. If you have to dissassemble and reassemble, might only take a hour or so with spring compressors. I'd do it, especially if they're 100% blown, it's dangerous to drive a car on blown shocks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info