đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
What are you guys using for learning/kitchen towers? I’ve read a bunch of reviews but can’t decide. It’s getting hard to cook because the kid always wants to be “up” so he can see what I’m doing. Cooking one handed with 27 pounds on my hip is getting a bit too difficult.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Kid loves bacon. Parents dont want to make real bacon all the time.

Buy precooked microwave bacon for ease, kid see's it made in the microwave... One bite..

"Gross, I'm not eating that, it came from the microwave"...

2 days later. Make the same bacon in the microwave. "Is that the bacon from the microwave?"

Nope.

Eats all 4 slices.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Can’t wait. 18months and I’m just dealing with non verbal rage. He has 50+ words but rarely uses them to express his wants and needs.
Owen was like that for a while. He could speak and he used words for things he wanted but as soon as his emotions got to him, it was just flailing, noises, and screaming. By about 2.5 he finally started expressing the things he wanted from us/wanted to do and used very simple sentences. Now he's speaking in full, albeit slightly broken, sentences. Every so often his emotions do overcome his ability to speak and he just bawls/screams incessantly but we've been teaching him to take deeps breaths and to have "quiet time" while he's throwing his tantrum. He'll run into his room having a tantrum, have "quiet time" meaning no mommy or daddy, and within 5 minutes he comes out, a little more calm, trying to tell us what's wrong.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Owen was like that for a while. He could speak and he used words for things he wanted but as soon as his emotions got to him, it was just flailing, noises, and screaming. By about 2.5 he finally started expressing the things he wanted from us/wanted to do and used very simple sentences. Now he's speaking in full, albeit slightly broken, sentences. Every so often his emotions do overcome his ability to speak and he just bawls incessantly but we've been teaching him to take deeps breaths and to have "quiet time" while he's throwing his tantrum. He'll run into his room having a tantrum, have "quiet time" meaning no mommy or daddy, and within 5 minutes he comes out, a little more calm, trying to tell us what's wrong.
Yup, taught my son to remove himself from the situation and he goes and does 10 deep in-and-out breaths. If that doesn't calm him down, do 10 more. He usually comes back smiling and then shares what got him upset.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

Our 18 month can get to 5 with some help, but absolutely refuses to say “one”. Anytime we say one he just says “two” and giggles. He will say “uno” though so he may just have to speak Spanish. This one thing has been going on for a couple months. I don’t know if he thinks one is the question and two is the answer or what :rofl:

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
23A8595C-8A25-40C8-B831-685B7964FE2A.jpeg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I’ve been taking random “art” my son makes, and putting it up at my desk at work. He loves seeing a picture of it being shown off. With him in kindergarten and the teachers letting them sound out the words and spelling them how THEY think, here’s his rendition of Frosty the Snowman, from memory. And he was super proud of making the buttons on another sheet of paper, coloring them, cutting them out and taping them to the original picture.

173E8AF0-D0F4-4184-836C-192CAB55ED33.jpeg

Thread Info