• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Which one to get first: Stall or Gears...

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
As you know I am going to put together a 6.0 but it won't be finished until probably the end of the year to spring if next year (due to some upcoming expendatures through out this year) but I would like to continue putting some upgrades in my car. As the title states... Stall or gear first.

I was reading some other posts on ls1tech and the answers were 50/50. So I wanted to bring the question to the homefront!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
thats tough. i know my buddies tbss with a stall became a whole new monster- but tbss's have 410 gears or something like that iirc...

but really i think your gears, as well as your stall, has to be pretty much mated to whatever engine/cam power adder you go with... you dont want to go super steep in gears and then turbo it... or something along those lines...

imo id wait- which iknow is tough, and ask 262/the boards for recommendations on everything as a complete package so it works together.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Everyone here has it right...

Your rear end WILL go eventually if you start making bigger power, but simply putting different gears in will not protect against it failing. You really need to change up the axle to a 12b or 9in which is when it makes the most sense to change gear ratio.

Stall on the other hand, will net you a noticeable difference. But your converter generally isn't at risk of failing.

SO, if you'd rather save money for the inevitable rear end failure so you can keep the car on the road all season... then hold onto your cash. But if you'll have more $ at the end of the season to possibly replace a dying rear axle, then go for the stall now.

FastMotorSports is doing a group buy right now too, so its a great time to save a few bucks on a quality converter!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Keep in mind also, that if you change rear end gear ratio, it will effect how high the converter stalls as well. Moving to a taller gear (lower numerically) will increase the stall speed of the converter, moving to a shorter gear (higher numerically) will decrease the stall speed.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I made the decision to go with a stall first and let my rear tank because I knew i was going to go with a better rear anyway. Even if the rear on these cars were stout, i would still have gone with a stall first. Running a stall on the stock gear is still tons of fun. I think the ws6 auto's came with 3.23 rear gear which is still plenty fun. The regular auto T/A's had 2.73's so maybe those guys would have a better reason to upgrade the gear first before going with a converter.

My advice: stall first, gear later or let it grenade and buy a 12 bolt/9 inch/dana 60

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
If you plan on blowing up the rear end or running it till it goes go stall. Save time and money in the long run. Why put gears in a stock rear end if you plan on making big power and blowing it up anyway? Put the gears you want in when you replace the rear end.

That is some:jg:advice!

I agree! :jg:

I seen that... Thats another reason why I asked the question :rofl:
So what size should i go with?

Paging Sir 262 :bowdown:

btw... whats the trans cooler kit from b&m thats recommended when stalling?

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
As you know I am going to put together a 6.0 but it won't be finished until probably the end of the year to spring if next year (due to some upcoming expendatures through out this year) but I would like to continue putting some upgrades in my car. As the title states... Stall or gear first.

I was reading some other posts on ls1tech and the answers were 50/50. So I wanted to bring the question to the homefront!

you need to setup both based on the cam/engine you want to run. Since you are tight on money and probably cannot upgrade the rear end i would recommend the stall first here.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I agree! :jg:

I seen that... Thats another reason why I asked the question :rofl:
So what size should i go with?

Paging Sir 262 :bowdown:

btw... whats the trans cooler kit from b&m thats recommended when stalling?

Most go with a SS3600(thats what I'm rocking anyway). Not sure what your mods are, but for a bolt on car, that is a pretty good stall to go with. I was thinking about going with a SS4000, but the one I got is nice. I believe the B&M kit is the 70264
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70264/

The cooler comes with all the fittings and hardware you need. I mounted it right to the front of the radiator.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Most go with a SS3600(thats what I'm rocking anyway). Not sure what your mods are, but for a bolt on car, that is a pretty good stall to go with. I was thinking about going with a SS4000, but the one I got is nice. I believe the B&M kit is the 70264
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70264/

The cooler comes with all the fittings and hardware you need. I mounted it right to the front of the radiator.

Thanks for the link! :bigthumb:

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
with an f-body most of the time you tend to put together a H/C package later that is a higher revving deal with peak HP numbers where a larger stall is needed. Also to get the weight of them motivated. Also, to make sure you size it to no need to step up later as you mod. Besides the 4000-4400 is one of the best they made for a motor or spray car

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I did stall first (SS3600) and gained about a half second in the quarter. I have 2.73 gears, too, which suck. I'm going to replace them this year with 3.73s. Yeah it will be on borrowed time, but with the amount I drive it and the limited track use I justified waiting another season to do the full rear end.

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
Stall.. I have a vigilante 4000 stall converter its a little to big for spray to be honest.. I spray my car with a baby shot (125) and it flashes to 5000. Car comes out of the hole good for stock suspension but falls on its face and thats with the stock 3.23 gears. If ur going to put a converter in the car spend the extra cash and get the yank like brandon said... Heard nothing but good things about them.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
1st camaro: i did gears first...went from 3.42s to a 4.11--- (.43)
the converter came later...nevr got to run it at the track (wrecked) but good god it felt like a completely different beast...it was a 4000 which flashed around 4300 with the blower
(it was a v6 camaro)
2nd camaro: went to a 3.73 gear and ran a 12.7 @ 109 with a 2.1 60'...with an auto and 113k on the motor...intake/exhaust and a mail order tune from previous owner...this car is going some minor work but i will be getting a converter afterwords.
94 trans am: kept the stock 2.73s, threw in a 3600 stall (on accident...long story.) and ran a 13.4 @ 105with a 2.2 60' on street tires. stock everything minus flowmaster muffler.

moral of the story: do the converter first IMO. everyone else already stated not to throw money into your rear which is true (unless you do the labor yourself then its not THAT bad to throw in a couple hundo...i guess)
its a complete different car with a converter. you know that feeling you get in a ls1 at around 3500 or so where the car just kinda squats and goes...again? its like that but all the time. guaranteed you'll be happy with it.

theres a couple ways to mount the cooler...lots of people use the aftermarket in conjunction with the stock cooler (series) others just use the aftermarket. i use the series set up.
theres a method called the "dope" method over on ls1tech but can't imagine anyone in chi-town area getting away with that for too long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info