• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just bought my first upgrades! (Headers, Lid, Cutout)

Well, I just bought an SLP Lid and I'm about to make my Pacesetter LT/TSP catted y-pipe purchase from Texas Speed.

Yes, 2001 Camaro SS, no mods, never even a lid!

Any of you Chicago LS1ers have Pacesetters (I got Ceramic Coated) and had any problems or anything with rust (since we have the most dry and consistent weather)?

Also, I heard some people talk about Poly Motor Mounts with their headers to raise the engine a tad for clearance issues and also because without it, it was rubbing against something. I don't know much about MMs, but since this is my daily driver, I don't want to deal with crazy vibrations in the car or anything, so I don't want to do an MM if I don't have to. Are these necessary?

Lastly, any tips would be greatly appreciated. What's the natural progression of installing headers? Do you just try to do it yourself and piece everything together and then call in fabrication shops when necessary? Anybody done headers/Y with stock catback without needing to weld/fab anything?

Oh, and I'm still debating on my cutout....more on that later.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who have done LS1 F-Body headers that could give you a hand... Is the Texas Speed Y-pipe made to join up to the Pacesetters? A friend and fellow TCG'er just installed QTP's on his car, but had to have SpeedInc custom make his y-pipe. If you ordered the Pacesetter y pipe I'd imagine there would be no issues whatsoever, it's just the question of if TSP's Y pipe is a direct match. Hope that helps.

Yeah it's a combo package from TSP. It's Pacesetter headers + TSP Y Pipe. It was suggested to me precisely because it was the safest bet for fitment. Last thing I want to happen on my daily driver is to have it out of commission longer than it already is going to be. I'll have to ride a bicycle to work in the meantime....but maybe that's a good thing...Triathlon training!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just did headers, ORY and poly mounts on my 98 Trans Am. My setup is Kooks everything and even without cats it's a very tight fit between the floorboard and pipes so I'd imagine poly mounts would be a wise choice to prevent any y-pipe banging on the floorboard with cats.

I didn't notice any additional vibrations from the poly engine and transmission mounts when the car had the stock cam. But with the new cam the car shakes a whooooole bunch at idle, and shakes everything (mirror, steering wheels, spoiler, etc.) and it's awesome.

The poly mounts were a pain in the ass but I'd say worth it for sure.

Why catted theres no reason for it? And you have to pay extra get an ORY and I can sell you 02 sims or go to Speed INC and get a tune. LT's are not bad you might as well do spark plugs, wires, and motormounts while you are in there.

While I'm not 100% sure that the raspy engine tones I'm thinking of were from ORY's, I hear a lot of guys with ORY's complain about rasp.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
A bullet style resonator/race muffler in the pipe before the rear end is a favorite choice to quell rasp. I'll be adding a Borla XR-1 muffler to my Magnaflow setup shortly.

this.

i did it on my setup, qtps, ory and gmmg. it wasnt terrible without the xr-1 muffler but it had just a bit of extra rasp i didnt care for so put in the muffler and made it just about perfect considering the setup really doesnt have a real muffler on it

Well, fortunately/unfortunately, the headers/y have already been purchased. I'm sure there were ways to save money or get better parts, but this being my first upgrade and my daily driver + only car, I went with the setup that I've read had the least amount of problems, whether it be fitment or clearance or what have you. As for getting new vs used...I dunno, chalk it up to personal preference.

But anyway...that being said, discussions about cutout can continue...I haven't chosen one yet.

G

Gundlach9

I installed ceramic Pacesetters with off-road Y pipe myself, and I haven't had any issues with vibrations, rubbing, etc...As for the DMH 3" cutout, I had Speed Inc. install it. Great to have the electronic actuating piece so it can be closed when cops pull up along side you!

I just bought Prothane Poly MMs after reading a bunch of horror stories on LS1Tech where everyone regretted not doing them when they did headers. The possible vibrations were worrying me, but after Bru's comment and a couple others, I'm a little calmer. But holy shit, the horror stories about the MM installation are freaking me out!

Get an electronic cut out you will thank your self later!

Up until recently, I didn't even know about DMH, but pricing looks about the same and people had mixed reviews about their warranty process. In any case, I was contemplating on getting the QTP ovals (cuz I'm clearance-phobic) vs the standard circular QTP. And because I'm clearance-phobic, I was thinking of mounting the ovals where the I-pipe bends upwards to go over the axle, but so far, I haven't seen anyone do that with Ovals, they've only been putting them in the bends of the Y pipe right after both the headers' collectors (which means 2 of 'em...and I'm not buying 2).

Anyone seen/have pics of ovals before the rear axle up-bend...or know if this is a good/bad idea?

Cherry popped! E-Cutout being delivered today!

img0298r.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info