• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

vetter broke down..

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
ok so i was driven around (on hollaween ggo figure) i wasn't beating on the car at all...all of a sudden my car bogs down..and shuts off..i couldn't get the car to start again without it boggin out..to keep the car running i had to rev it n keep the RPMs up cuz the car wont idle without boggin out..i did a diagnostic and codes came up as..Fuel System Trim LEAN Bank 1..and my car is misfiring so that code came up as well..Multiple Misfires....at first i thought it mite of just been a 02 sensor so i pulled the upstream sensor on the driver side and it was fine i cleaned it up with break fluid cleaner and tryed starten it again..same shit...so im thinking it could be ..fouled out spark plugs..bad coils..vacuum line broken or came off..or the distributer..i was gonna pull the plugs today and see if their burning right but i remembered i still have warranty till next sept...just wondering if my Vararam intake will void my warranty..??...but yah i was just curious what anyone here thought it could be...any input would be terrific..thanks.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
whats your fuel pressure at? When you turn the key to the on position do you hear the pump? I dont think vacuum leak. For sure not an o2. My opinion my first check is lack of fuel (pump is dieing). Maybe maf or tps sensor, but it should give you a code. Engines need 3 major things to run...Fuel,air and spark. You are getting lean codes. If you were getting fuel and no spark it would be rich. The maf tells the comp how much air is coming in, and tells how much fuel is required. The tps sensor basically knows the amount the throttle blade is open and similar job as maf. Hope this helps.

If you have the stock intake still, just swap it back. Its easy enough and you wont have to worry about the dealership nit picking.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
if it were the fuel pump i dont think it would start at all. i say maf or tps

Some fuel pumps will pressurize the fuel rail high enough to start it but then the weak pump cannot maintain the line pressure. Seen this happen before. I would check fuel pressure first. Hook up a gauge and check it with the pump on and engine not running then see what it does when you start it.
It should only drop slightly.

I've also seen another thing cause issues similar to your description is a clogging catalytic. If it's partially clogged you need to keep the rpm's up because of the increased backpressure. If you rev it does the rpm's seem to increase slower as the rpm's increase?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Also as an Idea, my MAF sensor had the same symptoms when it failed on the prix, it threw a lean bank 1, multiple misfire, and a MAP code. The car would stall @ idle, but if I gave it a little gas, like 1200rpm+ it would run ok..... I don't know much about the LS6, but if it runs the GM MAF and MAP combo, you should be able to run the car with the maf unplugged, and see if it runs better (not always, my car wouldn't run w/o it plugged in) Some have good luck testing this way......

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Some fuel pumps will pressurize the fuel rail high enough to start it but then the weak pump cannot maintain the line pressure. Seen this happen before. I would check fuel pressure first. Hook up a gauge and check it with the pump on and engine not running then see what it does when you start it.
It should only drop slightly.

I've also seen another thing cause issues similar to your description is a clogging catalytic. If it's partially clogged you need to keep the rpm's up because of the increased backpressure. If you rev it does the rpm's seem to increase slower as the rpm's increase?

Yeah, that true about the cats...my Dad has a 98 TA, and it clogged a few cats with similar symptoms.

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
if it were the fuel pump i dont think it would start at all. i say maf or tps

Yeah it would if the pump hasnt failed completely. I had a ford lightning and it has a dual pump setup. The pumps blew off the feed hose and wasnt able to get the correct amount of fuel and it did this exactly. I just unhooked the maf and got it home and dropped the tank and fixed.
With the maf unhooked it should run. It will idle high and basically run in open loop...dumping extra fuel.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Eddie Vetter?
eddie_vedder1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info