To Sell the GTO, Or Not To Sell the GTO

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
So I am contemplating selling the GTO this spring and require a guiding push in the right direction.

The thing that makes this decision so hard is that I really, really like the GTO. However, I do not feel I drive it enough to justify keeping it. I have only put 5k miles on the GTO since purchasing it in August of 2013. I have had thoughts of doing a cam/heads install, but I think it may be better to just sever the ties now before putting any more money into it.

Am I thinking rationally? or am I crazy?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Honestly, sell it. I like GTOs but I dont see them gaining any value and the longer you sit on it, the more you stand to lose, low mileage or not. And you're not really driving it at all either which doesnt help.

If you sold it, is there a replacement, or just pocket the cash?

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Honestly, sell it. I like GTOs but I dont see them gaining any value and the longer you sit on it, the more you stand to lose, low mileage or not. And you're not really driving it at all either which doesnt help.

If you sold it, is there a replacement, or just pocket the cash?

I would simply be pocketing the cash. I already have too many cars. Trimming the herd down a bit is another motivator for the sale.

My reasoning is going to be exactly the opposite of Mooks. How much can a GTO possibly lose per year at this point? 1K? So ask yourself, is it worth keeping for $80 per month?

I have been adding in all the other monthly/yearly expenses when considering this. I would also be paying for insurance, registration, oil changes, and other misc maintenance costs.

I should have asked before I posted above...LS1 or 2?

A4 LS1

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Listen to me on this because i've seen this happen so much amongst people I know. Unless you are absolutely attached to that GTO do not modify it thinking it will make you like it more. The only reason I still have my TA is deep down I love the car and it fits me. If you don't have that feeling then find the one that you do and don't get rid of it. People will turn and burn through cars so fast trying to find the one thing that they like. Unless you can't see yourself without the car, it's not worth modifying it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Listen to me on this because i've seen this happen so much amongst people I know. Unless you are absolutely attached to that GTO do not modify it thinking it will make you like it more. The only reason I still have my TA is deep down I love the car and it fits me. If you don't have that feeling then find the one that you do and don't get rid of it. People will turn and burn through cars so fast trying to find the one thing that they like. Unless you can't see yourself without the car, it's not worth modifying it.

that's what his 1998 grand prix gt is for brah.

:s00ls:

:3800:

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007

This all day! I could not agree more. I've contemplated selling my cobra a couple times. But that's the car I had to have years ago. I couldn't sell it unless I was in dire straights.

So if you can't see yourself without it. Sell it and keep the cash

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info