Question about speed limit

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have a question regarding speed limits. When you are in a 35mph zone, say through west Chicago going south on 59....

When do you speed up? Or in other words, when does the new speed limit apply?

-When you see the 45mph speed limit sign?
-When you get to the 45mph speed limit sign?

FWIW, I'm just curious, I didn't get busted or anything. I *think* this has been discussed on TCG before, in that case, my bad.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
don't really think modern car performance numbers on any metric would make a compelling case.

radioguy is right. teach people how to fucking drive first, then raise it. i just got back from germany a few months ago. this was our route.

trip.png

do you know how many left lane campers there were? FUCKING ZERO. IT WAS BLISS

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
its 500ft after the speed reduction..

If you get a ticket anywhere 500> for "speeding" it will get thrown out in court

The limit becomes effective, and suspends the application of the limit prescribed in Section 11-601 of this Chapter, when appropriate signs giving notice of the limit are erected at the proper place or along the proper part of the zone of the highway. Electronic speed-detecting devices shall not be used within 500 feet beyond any such sign in the direction of travel; if so used in violation of this Section, evidence obtained thereby shall be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding. However, nothing in this Section prohibits the use of such electronic speed-detecting devices within 500 feet of a sign within a special school speed zone indicating such zone, conforming to the requirements of Section 11-605 of this Act, nor shall evidence obtained thereby be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding provided the use of such device shall apply only to the enforcement of the speed limit in such special school speed zone.

Technically it's the sign, but you are right anything within 500 ft of the sign is inadmissible.

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
radioguy6 - I dont think teaching people would work either.
Some people just dont care, we teach people all we can, but people do what they want. I mean im pretty sure we everyone here was thought to respect the speed limit, and im sure a lot of you, if not all dont.
We can teach people that they should drive 85mph on a 85mph highway, but if they want to drive 53mph they will, and aslong that is not under the minimum speed limit there is nothing we can do about it.

sickmint79 - And how come you dont think number/performance will make a case?
If they deemed safe for a 1970 Caddilac to drive down the road at 65mph when its stopping distance was 150ft (pulling a number out of my ass here), why isnt safe for a 2012 Caddilac to drive 85mph if it could stop in the same 150ft (again just throwing a number out there).

Besides that there is more, like impact received by passengers back in the day and today with the airbags.
Or even crash tests, i mean, we all saw the VW Bus crash test, im pretty sure any minivan today would do better than that, even at speed a little higher.

I think the speed limit should be somewhere around 80mph. Either that, or have different lanes on the highway with different speed limits.

Outlaw - And would be awesome to read your speech on it, probably would be able to use a lot of it because we have to submit it to safe assignment.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Some people just dont care, we teach people all we can, but people do what they want. I mean im pretty sure we everyone here was thought to respect the speed limit, and im sure a lot of you, if not all dont.
We can teach people that they should drive 85mph on a 85mph highway, but if they want to drive 53mph they will, and aslong that is not under the minimum speed limit there is nothing we can do about it.

If they deemed safe for a 1970 Caddilac to drive down the road at 65mph when its stopping distance was 150ft (pulling a number out of my ass here), why isnt safe for a 2012 Caddilac to drive 85mph if it could stop in the same 150ft (again just throwing a number out there).

Besides that there is more, like impact received by passengers back in the day and today with the airbags.
Or even crash tests, i mean, we all saw the VW Bus crash test, im pretty sure any minivan today would do better than that, even at speed a little higher.

I think the speed limit should be somewhere around 80mph. Either that, or have different lanes on the highway with different speed limits.

Outlaw - And would be awesome to read your speech on it, probably would be able to use a lot of it because we have to submit it to safe assignment.

Its not really about performance and safety. Yes modern cars perform better and are safer. But most cars traveling 85 MPH will consume alot more gas than traveling at 55 or 65. Enviormentalists, the EPA, etc. will always fight against it. Thats why the 55 MPH national limit set in 1973. Considering what the EPA wants for future MPGs, its never going to happen. While I agree they should change the speed limits, its just not going to happen everywhere.

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
Yeah, i understand, but did you look at the link posted?

The amount of gas saved by lowering the speed limit was estimated at 1%.
Meaning your econo car is now making 40 mpg instead of 40.4 mpg.
Besides, higher speed limits already are in place in most of the country.

I mean, Im dont think my speech is going to change anything, I just want my grades haha, but since we are debating already, why not.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Electronic speed-detecting devices shall not be used within 500 feet beyond any such sign in the direction of travel; if so used in violation of this Section, evidence obtained thereby shall be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding. However, nothing in this Section prohibits the use of such electronic speed-detecting devices within 500 feet of a sign within a special school speed zone indicating such zone, conforming to the requirements of Section 11-605 of this Act, nor shall evidence obtained thereby be inadmissible in any prosecution for speeding

That is interesting and means every speeding ticket I ever got (which is not many) should have been thrown out just based on this.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

this is simply what multiple lanes are for. it's not an 85 mph highway it's a max 85 mph highway.

people do not keep their cars in tip-top shape and they are driving old ones as well. i don't know what the stats are about accidents (expecting you do/should) but advances in technology can probably be canceled out by... advances in technology. hey we've got better tires and airbags! but a lot more texters...

i would not approach the proposal by saying "cars are better" here. i would approach it with:

1. people are already going this speed - not sure if you could source that, for shits i was going to post the ohare commute i did sunday so i could look at it in 20 years - everyone is speeding on a 4 lane 94. including the cop in the vid.

2. safety stats from germany vs. here - i haven't actually looked at them so i'm not sure how compelling this case is. i think germany (and germans) are more strict about their cars being in shape too, btw. for much roads germany basically has 60 mph, 75, or no max defined. it works well. but that's also because they completely respect lane usage. i would educate americans by ticketing the fuck all out of anyone being a retard in the left lane.

this is still the education thing, in theory they effectively do - if you are holding up traffic you should move a lane to the right, if you are passing you should be doing it on the left (most states i believe have a law saying it's illegal to pass on the right - which is never enforced). the problem is all those gdamn fucking idiot american drivers! i'm too lazy but i wanted to start posting plates and stupid shit people did with my dashcam.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Sickmint is right, comparing say Illinois to Germany is a completely ridiculous notion. We do not have state mandated inspection of automobiles, so anyone can basically tax, title, and license basically anything as long as it has DOT tires, lights, seatbelts, and bumpers. There is no investigation to the abilities and safety of those vehicles. Someone riding around on a balljoint ready to go is fairly unsafe, but most people will let it just break. Whereas in areas with inspections, you are alerted to the unsafe condition of your vehicle, and I am not sure about the laws or regulations, but if it is not up to safety standards it is not licensed to go on the road. Germany, especially, has stricter laws and fines for lane violations and distracted driving as opposed to here. Plus their drivers go through a much more rigorous driving school than US drivers. Passing the driving test here is a joke.

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
Well, about people already driving above the speed limit, i did a questionarie with the class, and yes 80% of the already do drive faster than the posted limit.

I know the comparison is not fair, but it just goes to show that it is possible to have higher speed limits, or no speed limits without a lot more accidents.
I can make comparison to other states where the limit is 75 or 80, in which presumably the cars and roads are in conditions comparable to ours.

Cars were not in tip top shape back in the day either.

The whole texting is another subject, yes it happens, but for the purpose of this speech i wont account for it, because it is illegal already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info