Putting new tires on the MazdaSpeed 3.. thoughts?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Original tires with 38k miles.. dry rotted to shit, still 5-6/32 left all around.

Looking at the following tires:

Goodyear*Eagle GT (W)

Hankook*Ventus V12 evo K110

BFGoodrich*g-Force Sport COMP-2

Leaning more towards the BFG Gforce Sports... The car maybe gets driven once or twice (if that) in the winter, so AS vs S is no problem.

Car will be putting down upwards of 320+whp in the next few weeks. Not too worried about a "quiet" tire, per se, but Id like one that gets good traction and can handle corners well. The stock dry rotted bridgestone RE050a's just arent cutting it anymore.

Anyone have any real life experience with any of the above tires? :jg:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Do they make the starspec z1's in that size? I know modern sports cars run giant wheels, but if they do they are by far the best tire for the $. If you don't mind noise the nitto nt01's are crazy grippy, but LOUD. I have them on my integra, I have yet to reach their limits even on cold tires. Pricey though. I can't say for the above tires, I have no personal experience.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Just to be clear I commute daily on these and other then some rare spirited driving I don't get these to their full potential ever. I can get them a touch loose if I really get on it mid/out of a turn but that's about it.

No clue how they feel on a fwd car with a good amount of power like the ms3.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
No clue how they feel on a fwd car with a good amount of power like the ms3.

I run/ran them on the Skittle, so I can cover this. They're pretty grippy from a launch, but it's nothing to write home about. Not that any street tire really is, in this regard.

hows the cornering/dry traction ?

They're predictable to an extent, and they get nice and vocal when pushed to the edge, which does take a surprising bit of effort to accomplish. Performance is relatively consistent from cold to warmed up. That said, the sidewalls are just soft enough to give them more deflection than I care for. Still, they perform admirably for what they are. And for the price, they are perhaps the best aggressively daily-driven/weekend warrior tires I've ever found.

Wet traction is also quite respectable.

(These opinions formed by running them in all-weather conditions, aggressively daily-ing, and runs on "Tail of the Dragon" as well as the "Hellbender".)

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
For an all season I have been pretty impressed with the Goodyear RS-A's on my Fusion Sport. It's funny because I thought they were garbage on my 97 SHO I had. For some reason I like them again.

edit- Saw your hp so your gonna want something alot more grippy. Too bad you cant get bridgestone Re-01r's anymore. My Cobra was on rails with those.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
For an all season I have been pretty impressed with the Goodyear RS-A's on my Fusion Sport. It's funny because I thought they were garbage on my 97 SHO I had. For some reason I like them again.

edit- Saw your hp so your gonna want something alot more grippy. Too bad you cant get bridgestone Re-01r's anymore. My Cobra was on rails with those.

I have Goodyear Assurances on my Fusion right now, and they were ok when new, but they are horseshit now. Luckily trading it in, but going to be looking for some good (I know all are shit, but I have no where to store a set of wheels and tires for winter) all-seasons. New car will have P-Zero's, but probably won't be putting those back on, unless I am extremely happy with them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.