Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
After two decades of normally-aspirated high-revving engines shoehorned under the hoods of its M cars, BMW is changing direction and will begin to offer direct-injection turbocharged powerplants in its future high-performance flagships. The German automaker is blaming tough environmental emission standards and the soaring manufacturing costs of the specialty-built V8 and V10 engines found in today's M3, M5, and M6 models for its decision. We also suspect the fact that both Audi and Mercedes-Benz have successfully offered torque-laden forced-induction powerplants for years on their performance models may have something to do with it (also keep in mind that an aftermarket-tuned version of BMW's own twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6 can easily match the power output of the M3's normally-aspirated 4.0-liter V8). The first new M model to carry the turbocharged honor will be the X6 xDrive M, with a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 reportedly making 500 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. That same engine is reportedly going into the next F10-chassis M5 due in late 2010.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:rofl: If magazines can pull high 12s out of the M3, I'm sure actual owners could pull lower times. Plus the 1 Series is a goofy looking little car, but it's still my favorite BMW.

I recently spent a bunch of time in the X6 with the twin turbo V-8, and that engine would be killer in the M3. 400 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque :eek:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
:rofl: If magazines can pull high 12s out of the M3, I'm sure actual owners could pull lower times. Plus the 1 Series is a goofy looking little car, but it's still my favorite BMW.

I recently spent a bunch of time in the X6 with the twin turbo V-8, and that engine would be killer in the M3. 400 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque :eek:

Torque doesn't matter. HP wins drag races, it would be a real close race. How did you like the X6? I think they look awesome, haven't driven one yet though.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Having torque all over the powerband makes it more enjoyable to drive on the street, which is primarily why I like BMW's turbo applications. The 135i is a spunkly fucker that's a blast to drive with torque starting down low and turbo pull up high.

The X6 is nice but I honestly think it's a useless car. There's only room for four people and it's massive with little utility. The X6 is all about image. Plus with all the options ours stickered over $70k. It drove excellent and handled amazing for what it is. The damn thing had 315 tires on the back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info