Prolonging transmission life

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Really, how is a cooler a failure point? I mean sure a cheap one could clog or a line could leak, but a good one plumbed properly seems like good insurance. I wouldnt fuck with a shift kit though, no one wants a park ave buckin'.

No shit, i cant see how keeping trans temps down would be negative in any way, fucking weird 3800 junk.

Even though the cooler lines only see 40 - 65psi, it can spike, and most* coolers are not installed correctly to begin with. You also have to think that too cool a fluid is not a great thing either. They plumb the tranny coolers in the radiators for this reason, it's not only a cooler, it also works as a warmer.

I'm not saying additional coolers will cause an issue, but they do add places for issues to happen. The big thing is that the 4T65e does not have a heat problem. Most failures are weak hard parts, and poorly designed hard parts/power flow. Overheating the fluid can break it down, but unless you are having an actual trans overheating problem (which once again is less than common on these cars/platform) or towing, an external cooler is more potential problems for no noticeable gain. IIRC even the police interceptor W-Bodys just had a bigger Rad with the upgraded integral trans cooler.

I personally don't see a need for secondary coolers on non-tow and non-full race car type vehicles. But if we tell sools that it is stupid, he will go ahead and put one on anyway in the magic hope that it saves his trans from his cold motor/trans burnouts.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
They say it is another point for a leak, and you could blow a cooler line off and leak all the fluid out, remember they have to try to make everything high school kid proof since that's who mainly buys gtp's now lol, I run a pretty large trans cooler, shift kits help on clutch life but shortens hard part life unless you have good stuff in there, I thought about welding a deeper pocket into my trans pan so there would be more reserve fluid, but for your car I would consider just a trans cooler since it weighs as much as a truck it might as well have one of those and dextron 6 fluid when you get it back fresh

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
When I had my automatic LS1, I was always told harder shifts prolong the trans life and softer shifts create more heat and kill the trans.

You're also talking a 4L60 vs. a 4T65... A lot beefier parts in a 60, and bigger input/ output shafts which can handle the abuse. Your statement is correct, for the clutch packs. It's the hard parts that take the abuse.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
ive always heard that a tranny cooler is bad news on a 4t65e as well many years back..

I cant tell you why, but it was always a "no no" on clubgp

Because people on ClubGP think in mob mentality. One person hears another person say something sucks and they spread that info to ten people and then each of those people spread it to another 10 people and all of the sudden anyone that posts about putting a trans cooler on their car is told what a fool they are for even considering such a foolish move.

I remember Intense used to spout this tripe about only hard parts failing in the transmissions, never the clutches and that's where it all started. You generally run a cooler to save the clutches and since Intense deemed the clutches a non-issue they told people the coolers were useless and actually detrimental to the car since they were prone to leaking (they're not).

The funny thing about the Intense car is that back then they either broke their drive chain or their input shaft one in every 8 or so passes which accounts for let's see... Ohhhhh 2 miles total on each transmission so of course they wouldn't see clutch failure. The problem is they never took these things into consideration. Clutches absolutely do wear, especially on the built cars running higher temperatures to begin with, with intercooler heat exchangers in front of the radiator blocking flow and the fact that people fail to understand that the stock cooler isn't a cooler but a heat exchanger so on hot days it's only matching the temperature of the coolant.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in groups. It took us years to convince people not run run the shift kits at max settings with the PCMs with maxed line pressure because everyone was popping input shafts or chains and not from power, from hard shifting. Only everyone assumed it was from power.

Now that people don't mod that foolishly any more we see the stock input shaft and chain drives handle a LOT more power than they were originally thought to take. Ron's car was a perfect example of that. Over 200k on the car on the stock transmission with who knows how many 12 second passes and nary a broken hard part.

So yes, a trans cooler is a good thing if you're worried about clutch failure but with abuse, the likelihood of Sools breaking a hard part over frying a clutch is much higher so while a cooler will do wonders at protecting a few select components, at the end of the day reasonable driving is going to be the only way you keep the transmission in check.

*drops mic, exits stage left*

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
yeah this also happened in 2007 when I didn't know that that was bad for shit. I like to let it rip up to highway speeds... that's my problem and a lot of heavy acceleration.

like right now I'm driving out through McHenry where there's a higher speed limit and I went from a stop to fifty with like half throttle because I like to get up to speed quickly. Dunno. I hate feeling like I'm driving like a grandma. That's about the worst I do anymore

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
The big thing is that the 4T65e does not have a heat problem.

I beg to differ:rofl: \

I seen trans temps at 275* at the end of a 20 minute session at gingerman. It was 90* out tho. But now I have a trans temp gauge with my 11"x11"x1.5" cooler and I regularly see 200* in stop and go traffic. In the winter. I am wondering what my trans temps will be this summer in stop and go traffic

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have been running a GM trans cooler from the police Impala for two years now with no issues on my GTP. I think it was worth it as my trans temps do stay cooler and that helps lead to longer trans life.

My stock GXP would get the trans up to 220* during summer and at 40K the trans fluid was smoked, brown, and burnt. I added a cooler and the fluid was still red and smelled ok 40K later, I just destroyed the diff at an autoX event but that's a different story.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info