kind of in a bind.. nasty noise coming from rear bank.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
don't need to hear stupid ass comments.. but what do you guys think this could be ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzxdeqFrZU

replaced alternator, changed oil, and did a wheel bearing today. started it up, this noise still all existed..

a few friends think collapsed lifter, but it's a roller lifter so i'm kinda unsure on that.

uhh.

hard not to imagine the worst.

halp. please. :pedobear:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
With the crappy audio quality it's hard to tell but an exhaust leak can definitely sound like a ticking.

Now if you can hear it through the crow bar connected to the block it's more likely that it could be something internal but it doesn't sound like it's low end if it is something internal. More likely a collapsed lifter (something we're starting to see more of now) or a broken valve spring. Pop the rear valve cover off and have a look see.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
How does the underhood smell? could it be an exhaust manifold leaking? EGR tube? didnt you just do the egr? the piston pumping exhaust air out through the system will make a ticking sound
looks and smells clean. this isn't a "ticking" , this is a slapping noise.

Metallic sound like metal on metal?
yeah. like something is fucked.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
With the crappy audio quality it's hard to tell but an exhaust leak can definitely sound like a ticking.

Now if you can hear it through the crow bar connected to the block it's more likely that it could be something internal but it doesn't sound like it's low end if it is something internal. More likely a collapsed lifter (something we're starting to see more of now) or a broken valve spring. Pop the rear valve cover off and have a look see.
looking at my factory service manual but it shows nothing of what stuff could look like in there. what would a collapsed lifter look like ?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
tomorrow, my plans are as follows..

remove rear valve cover and see if I can figure out what's going on.. if that doesn't show anything visually based on things I'm reading on different boards/here/youtube, going to do a compression test across the board and see where she's at.. hope this ends up being simple. we can hope, right?

bed time.. fuck this for tonight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info