What's the stupidest (or smartest thing) you've done to save a few bucks

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm going to refine my comment from above as it is slightly different in my two cities :D

Elgin: Regular service through Waste Management (which is the worst service I have ever had) is paid through our water bill and is subsidized if I recall by the city of Elgin. Regular residential service is $15.80/mth

WeGo: I pay Groot directly on a quarterly basis for regular service. I'm not sure how it's subsidized. I will say, I haven't changed anything other than the billing address (sent to Elgin), so it's still in my Grandmother's name, and I take advantage of the senior discount. :D

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Bad: Refinanced the mortgage for a lower rate, pay off wife's CC debt and finish the basement. Basement is great; however, 5 yrs later wife re-racked up CC debt.

Good: Went through a friend for a high efficiency AC and Furnace. Total cost, including ComEd/Nicor rebates, is less than if I went contractor grade equipment. Additional perk, my electric and gas bills are both 40% less per month than before.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I took a 42" tv from the neighbors trash and threw a $30 board, $10 remote and $20 wall mount on it. Still works great.

If I can do it myself and save money I will. I have multiple people quote me on jobs and see who is hungry, but I'm not a dick. I had 3 painters quote me and one guy was willing to be a little less and go the extra mile. He made a lot of cash from me and I'm happy with it.

I haggle on nearly everything even at big box stores.

My wife sucks at saving money so I setup an online account to auto transfer a few dollars a week and it's out of sight out of mind type of deal. Not much but enough to build up over time. Did the same for the kids 529 plan. Again it's not much but it's something and a few bucks here and there is no big deal.
I do about $10/week to acorns

I pay my bills weekly. So it's easier to pay $25/week vs $100 at the end of the month.

I pack my lunch more and more now. That saves me nearly $10 a day for lunch alone and only stop by for breakfast on the go if I really don't have time. So my breakfast meals went down from every day to maybe a few times every month.

We just cleaned up all the old toys from the kids room. Had the wife clean them up and take pics and sell them for $5-$10 each on fb groups. She made an easy $160+ for things that would have normally been junk or donated

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The only reason I wouldn't these days is if you're into sports. Otherwise fuck paying good $$$ to flip through channels and channels of worthless shit.

I only really care about football. Agreed that there is SOOOO much bloat out there. I wish the NFL would create its own NFL-GO app.

Problem solved.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I will say, the one thing I have found, dumping Comcast for DirecTV is that I miss all the MeTV's type channels as well as all the game show ones (like Buzzr), as I love the old Gene Rayburn Match Game...

I know I can get them free over the air to with a decent HD antenna, but still...

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Another Stupid: years back, swapping out of my Coyote GT for a more economical vehicle. Saved on fuel and payment, but hated driving the econo vehicle and ended up swapping again.

Bottom line, swapping vehicles doesn't pay off

I did the same thing. Went from an 04 GTO to a 13 Dart for my 40mi round trip...

..hated the Dart, wound up moving offices a few months after getting rid of the GTO to a 20mi round trip... RIP GTO. :wtc:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I just use a non-disposable “safety razor” or “dual edge” razor to save money on shaving. It’s like a $50 investment initially but after that it’s about $.03 per blade so I use each one 2x and just toss it. And if you use real shaving soap (pucks with a brush instead of a can of foam or gel) the pucks cost like $7 and last an entire year.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Oh and my dumbass way I used to save money: when I initially moved out we barely had trash and I didn’t want to pay the $30/mo Crystal Lake price for garbage pickup. So I bought those huge 50 gallon thick bags and just loaded all my weekly trash in there and every week I brought it to work on the day they emptied the dumpster. I had it timed out so I would put the trash in there an hour or 2 before the guy came so the boss was none the wiser. Eventually that got old and there were times the garbage stunk so bad I almost threw up so we eventually caved and got garbage pickup

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Let my townhouse that I was grossly upside down in go into foreclosure while buying another house that was foreclosed on for cheap. Fixed it up, paid it off, getting ready to rent it out when we move into our new house. Use rent from 1st house to pay mortgage on second house.

#lifegoals!

:h5:

Live for free while having 2 houses eventually paid off.

That is so much win. I envy it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I just use a non-disposable “safety razor” or “dual edge” razor to save money on shaving. It’s like a $50 investment initially but after that it’s about $.03 per blade so I use each one 2x and just toss it. And if you use real shaving soap (pucks with a brush instead of a can of foam or gel) the pucks cost like $7 and last an entire year.

How do those cut? I have one sitting here and have been somewhat curious about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info